PV-1 Ventura, Aleutian Islands, 1943

Hi Everyone,

Had this kit lurking about unstarted for a couple of years, as I wanted to do a different scheme to the kit offerings

nCFqQt5.jpg

So here`s Revell`s 1/48 Ventura done as an earlier aircraft in the two colour US Navy scheme and 1943 markings

skLTVAN.jpg

Finished to represent an aircraft flown by VB/VPB-136, Adak, Aleutian Islands, 1943

YCU5idc.jpg

Built from a combination of the Octopus marked boxing and the more recent RAF marked issue

LQUDD39.jpg

The decals all came from the stash and used Steve Ginters `Naval Fighters Number 86` as main reference

b82M0wH.jpg

The `Grumpys` are a bit of artistic license as early Venturas often had factory applied Walt Disney Cartoon figures painted on them.

7O901Ag.jpg

Added a few blinds and curtains to the windows as quite a few photo`s seen to show.

LtqcKti.jpg

Lastly here it is with my earlier effort of the same kit in the markings of VB/VPB-135 also an Aleutians based aircraft

0MCmsCy.jpg

Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking

4ujeBW8.jpg

Cheers Russ

• Like 63
  • Thanks 2

Very nice Russ, beautifully built Venturas and I do like the red bordered style of insignia on your second one. Strange that the large insignias on each side of the nose both continue onto and across parts of the glazing, which at first I thought you'd made a mistake, but I did some research and found this photo .... :

http://ww2db.com/images/air_ventura26.jpg

..... so it seems that is how they were done in reality - but I can't help wonder why? Do you know? :shrug::hmmm:

Kev :)

Edited by Mr Modeller
  • Like 1

Very nice Russ, beautifully built Venturas and I do like the earlier style insignia on your second one. Strange that the large insignias on each side of the nose both continue onto and across parts of the glazing, which at first I thought you'd made a mistake, but did some research and found this photo .... :

http://ww2db.com/images/air_ventura26.jpg

..... so it seems that is how they were done in reality - but I can't help wonder why? Do you know? :shrug::hmmm:

Thanks Kev, Originally the insignia was the plain round one, the bars and red surrounds were painted on later, if the nose insignia was a large one then the bars would overlap the transparencies. also most of the operational photo`s I`ve seen show the blinds/curtains drawn shut on the top set of windows so I don`t supposed it mattered that they were obscured.

Glad you like them, cheers Russ

• Like 1

Thanks Kev, Originally the insignia was the plain round one, the bars and red surrounds were painted on later, if the nose insignia was a large one then the bars would overlap the transparencies. also most of the operational photo`s I`ve seen show the blinds/curtains drawn shut on the top set of windows so I don`t supposed it mattered that they were obscured.

Glad you like them, cheers Russ

Thanks for the info Russ, very much appreciated, and very interesting to know such things!! :thumbsup:

Cheers :thumbsup:

Edited by Mr Modeller
  • Like 1

lovely work once again, good painting and weathering :thumbsup:

how much free shelf space left? :winkgrin:

Thanks Reini, There`s been no shelf space for a long long time, I have a rotor system: shelf, attic then landfill ( after stripping off useful bits )

Thanks to all for great feedback and likes, appreciated

There`s been no shelf space for a long long time, I have a rotor system: shelf, attic then landfill ( after stripping off useful bits )

I have a club friend that does the same with his excellent models too!

I khow it's a chore, but I'm sure you could sell yours on e-bay for a fair whack - especially given the prices some of the rubbish sold on there fetches! Such a shame that work as good as this ends up on a tip.... :(

That's another beautiful model Russ with your usual outstanding paint & weathering! Is it brush painted again? If so, how did you get that terrific fading effect?!

The two of them together look brilliant!

Lovely stuff!

Keith

Cheers Keith, glad you like them. Yeah it`s brush painted, the fading was done with dry brushing, Looking at photo`s of weathered Navy aircraft in the same scheme, I could see a greenish tinge and the blue fading to grey, so, after doing the panel lines I dry brushed areas of the aircraft in Slate Grey then next day did the same but smaller patches of medium grey smudging it about as much as possible with my thumb. I use Humbrol Enamels BTW, don`t know if it would work with Acrylics.

re; your other post, by the time they get to the tip stage they generally look like that`s where they should be; dusty, yellowed and falling to bits and I can always build another and hopefully make a better job, it`s only a bit of plastic at the end of the day. The fun is researching and finishing them ( to me anyway )

Glad you like them though, Cheers Russ

• Like 1

They are both beauties Russ,.....I do like the Ventura and yours are fab,...... I do like the red edged star and bar and the one on the nose looks great

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1