Couldn`t Resist Another- New 1/72nd Airfix Martlet Mk.IV- FINISHED

37 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Btw tony are you doing this gear down? 

Yes,..gear down,......I did it last night,.....bit fiddly but managed it in the end.

Tony

• Like 1

Here is my progress so far,......I would suggest leaving the spar section from the u/c bay out if you want to add the u/c later in construction as otherwise the main u/c won`t fit and is a nightmare to assemble,.....guess how I know that! I removed it,....assembled the u/c and then put everything back. I`ve also sanded down the paintwork to remove any lumps and bumps or hair.......it will be tidied up later;

DSCF8685_zps7jgxpxyb.jpg

I`ve not decided whether to use the Sqn/Sig canopy on this one or to save it for another,......I have found a P-51B canopy in the spares box and after cutting it down and sanding the frames off it doesn`t look too bad as a Martlet sliding hood section,

Cheers

Tony

2 hours ago, Beard said:

It's looking very smart, Tony. 

Do you usually mask your canopies, or is it because you're using a vacform?

No I don`t usually mask canopies but as it is a pretty easy job on the Martlet I thought why not! I`ll still have to clean it up anyway as the paint always gets underneath the tape when brush painting. 

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,.....a quick update jut to show that there is work still going on,.....I`ve added a coat of matt varnish to the model, ready to start some weathering;

DSCF8707_zpswlcbzzrp.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

11 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

lovely work, as usual Tony, and quite timely for me, as Im looking at the Trumpeter 1/32 F4F4 at the moment to decide what Martlet marks I can do from it

Bruce

Cheers Bruce

Your best bet is the Mk,V,....by just deleting the outer wing gun on each side. You could also do a Mk.II,...if you can sand off the air intake on the cowling and alter the propeller. Last of all you can make a Mk.III (as used in the desert) by hiding the wing fold.

Good luck mate,

Tony  

11 hours ago, tonyot said:

Cheers Bruce

Your best bet is the Mk,V,....by just deleting the outer wing gun on each side. You could also do a Mk.II,...if you can sand off the air intake on the cowling and alter the propeller. Last of all you can make a Mk.III (as used in the desert) by hiding the wing fold.

Good luck mate,

Tony 

OK, you've got me intrigued now Tony about the MKII, what propeller would I need, or could I add a Brassin B17 cowl to the front  and  build a MKIV?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

OK, you've got me intrigued now Tony about the MKII, what propeller would I need, or could I add a Brassin B17 cowl to the front  and  build a MKIV?

Hiya Bruce,.....to make a Mk.IV you would have to add a fuselage extension to the nose in front of the wheel bay mate,....it was added to balance the different engine. You can see the plug added to the Airfix kit that I`m building in the construction shots

. For a Mk.II the prop looks like this;

Image result for martlet Mk.II

Formidable_Martlet_Lift.jpg

So more like a new spinner cover,.....so not too hard really.  Of course yo would also have to alter the cowling cooling flaps too as well as removing the air intake .

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot

Hiya Folks,..... well I finished the model this morning,.....then dropped it onto the kitchen floor!! Lost the tail wheel and the folded wind snapped off,.....but a raid on the spares box and a bit more glueing and it is fixed,.......so here it is. I`ve added a rudimentary rear view mirror onto the windscreen and I used a converted Academy P-51B canopy for the sliding hood section. As I have mentioned previously, the propeller comes from an Airfix C-47 Dakota and had the blades cut down and re shaped.

DSCF8724_zpsgmug8fp9.jpg

DSCF8718_zpsksrhihs6.jpg

DSCF8722_zpsdkqwbzd4.jpg

DSCF8726_zpsp7zcoxya.jpg

DSCF8719_zpsochwj7mw.jpg

DSCF8720_zps6rk9slna.jpg

DSCF8721_zps12b9eqhd.jpg

DSCF8729_zpsrmjqgowt.jpg

DSCF8725_zpskr3mvvbs.jpg

DSCF8723_zpsuqire67s.jpg

It has been a fun build but a the propeller and canopy were a bit of a let down,......nevertheless I have already started another and I`m building the F4F-4 as a Martlet Mk.V,.....so that tells you something!!

Cheers

Tony, 

• Like 14

You done good, Tony! Keep 'em coming! Still waiting for mine to come across the pond! (I wouldn't say Her Majesty's mail is slow, but my last packet had a note attached that read "Send help and get us off the beach- we're being clobbered!" signed BEF)

Cheers!

Mike

• Like 2

very nice model. And an amazing feat! .... to get the undercarriage in with everything all closed up. Proving very fiddly second time around even following the construction sequence. Part C10 the central 'spar' thing seems to be angled on the one face where you glue it to A17 and I can't work out why. I filed it flat

• Like 1