Airfix 144 Boeing 707 wings

Bill Neill

So i'm off on the Airfix 707 (yes I know about the inaccuracies) and wondering what to do with the upper wing surfaces.

Some pictures seem to show a dark center (corogard?) on the upper wings.

Also not sure how much of the panel lines to rescribe, cannot find as yet any good pics of the upper wings.

Anyone help?

Thanks

bill

The Corogard runs between the spars. Take a look at the drawings on the Ultimate Boeing 707 Guide for the -420 wing. The front spar runs behind the leading edge. The rear spar runs in a series of 3 straight lines just in front of the leading edges of the flaps and ailerons. It's been a while since I built the kit, but I'm pretty sure that the spar lines are already on the model. Here's a top-down view which shows it well.

I'm not an authority on the 707, but i study pictures of it enough to have a (dubious?) opinion.

I'd say the lines that delineate the front and rear spar are the most important. Also important are lines that delineate the spoilers but i image they be recessed. The upper wing skins were flush riveted but the rivet heads were shaved down and paint was applied over the while shebang. I can't think of many other.... prominent panel lines on the wing uppers. However the front and rear spars delineate very different changes in metal finish (then there's also the composite wingtips as well), so i'd start with those.

HTH

david

Thanks for the info, I may just scribe the control surfaces (lot of detail got lost in sanding) and use masking and paint to do the rest.

Probably going to be Tamiya 'silver leaf' for the base coat, any recommendations for the corogard? I need some contrast but not too much.

Thanks

bill

Corogard is a mix which gets created fresh for each application. It consists of aluminium powder which is mixed into a clear carrier medium. It dries to a flat metallic grey colour, which varies widely in differing light conditions. I tend to use Testors Steel from the little square glass bottles, but really any metallic grey will work.

OK after some experiment I'm going with Tamiya silver leaf for metal and Tamiya gloss aluminum for the corogard. Too light I guess but it gives about the right contrast with the silver leaf.

Does the corogard go on the lower wing surface as well? Can't see it on pictures but it seems to me it ought to be there.

bill