Best 1/35 T-34/85, T-55,T-62

modelling minion

Hi Guys,

Thinking of dipping my toe into the world of armour and I have a liking for the above mentioned Soviet AFV's and simply want to know what are the best kits around in 1/35 for them. I will probably be finishing them in Middle Eastern schemes.

Any help at all is gratefully appreciated.

Thanks.

Craig.

T-62 is relatively easy, the trumpeter kits are the best, the Tamiya one being inaccurate.

T-55 will depend on the variant, there is a new Miniart kit on the way which might be worth waiting for.

T-34 are a minefield! So many different variants and I don't think you can get a completely accurate middle eastern one directly from the box. The AFV club or dragon kits are probably your best starting point, with various after market add ons. Most middle eastern tanks were post war versions. I found a lot of useful info on a Facebook T-34 group for a Syrian version I intend to build at some point.

• Like 1

T-34/85s are as SaintsPhil said, a minefield. Not just variants, but the fact that there really aren't as many on offer as you'd think and those which are the more accurate and detailed representations OOTB are 'out of print' awaiting a fresh TBA production run. For some reason which puzzles me, it's the same with T-34/76s in their numerous variants. For what was one of the most prolific tanks of all time, it's pot luck picking one up in the variant you want when a production run is available. Surprises, me as whilst I'd expect German armour to be well supported because it is popular, the T-34 in 76 and 85 turreted versions is an AFV I'd think would be perpetually popular and well recognised subject even with lay buyers.

• Like 1

I don't claim to be an expert, but this is based on what I've managed to pick up from various sources, both written and on the 'net:

Starting with the T-62, as SaintsPhil has written, go for the Trumpeter kit. Their T-62 model 1972 will do for a Syrian Yom Kippur War or later vehicle. It will also do for an Iraqi vehicle if you want to have something from the Iran/Iraq war as well as the 1991 and 2003 conflicts. Trumpeter also do two specific Iraqi variants, one with ERA and a modded model 1960 with a machine gun added to the loaders side of the turret which also has a mine plough. If you fancy having a go at an Egyptian Yom Kippur vehicle there isn't one one OOB as the Egyptians only had the T-62 model 1967 in service at that time. This is effectively a model 1960 with the same engine deck as the model 1972. The only kit that comes close to a model 1967 is kit 01553, but you would need to leave off the addon armour, side skirts and the laser rangefinder above the gun and do some hole filling on the turret. Lastly, number 01554 can be used for an Afghan vehicle as the Afghan National Army apparently still has some of these in service and comes with requisite markings.

Moving on to the T-54/T-55, Egypt, Syria and Iraq all used these with the latter also using the very similar Chinese Type 69-II. From what I can gather, many of these vehicles, particularly in Iraqi service, were manufactured in Czechoslovakia and Poland and differ in detail from the Russian built originals. The Takom T-54 that Sgt. Squarehead has illustrated has decal options for both Egypt and Syria in the box. Although I don't have one, JimboHUN on Armorama is building one as a Hungarian vehicle, but it does give the lowdown on the kit: LINK. The Tamiya T-55 does give you the extras needed for the Czech and Polish variations for the turret, but the engine deck is for a Russian vehicle and is also a bit squished in that area. Their T-55 Enigma is apparently based on the example at Bovington and is meant to represent a Czech built vehicle and hence has the non-Russian engine deck, though it's missing the fording covers which are a distinctive feature of the Czech and Polish vehicles. Not a major issue as I'm sure that the Iraqi's probably removed the covers themselves. I have Takom's Type 69-II kit and it does look good in the box and comes with Iraqi markings as standard. I'm not sure just how many Iraqi Type 69-II's had the full "Boom Shield" bar armour around the turret, most seem to have had the forward elements removed and many of the early delivery vehicles never had them at all.

Here's a few links from Armorama giving details on the T-54, T-55 and T-62:

How to model a T-54: LINK.

How to model a T-55: LINK.

How to model a T-62: LINK.

Armorama's Russo/Soviet board: LINK.

As for the T-34, I haven't got a clue, sorry! I've tried making some headway with the type, but I've ended up with brain overload trying to decipher the glut of information, not all of which matches or is accurate.

Mike. :)

Edited by MikeR
  • Like 4