Jason and the Argonauts scratchbuilt skeleton

From the mists of history, or at least an old VHS tape, comes everyone's favourite scene from Jason and the Argonauts!

This one actually was inspired by boredom at work - the less-stimulated I am at work, the more creative energy I have. Since I'd just cleaned out a few lockers' worth of wire hangers and an old anatomy book was close by I started molding a skeleton out of wire, and it evolved into this.

He's wire, foil, some stir-sticks to form the ribs, and various other bits of plastic trash in my basement. He's covered in Sculpey (a first for me) and painted in acrylic paint. His shield is styrene and the design was free-hand (inspired by one of the skeletons in the movie), the sword is a couple of stir-sticks glued together and Green Stuff for detail. The base is styrofoam covered with celluclay, and coated with railroad scenery and sand (the shrub is a dead bit of thyme from my garden).

I tried to stick as close to anatomically correct as possible (I knew my old texts would come in handy!). There's a few ribs missing, and his pelvic bones are thicker than normal, but what the hell - it's a skeleton with a sword! My daughters are pretty taken with him, so it has educational merit as well as artistic.

bones6.jpg

bones2.jpg

bones4.jpg

bones3.jpg

bones7.jpg

• Like 9

That's a terrific replica of Harryhausen's creation. Brings back memories of how amazed I was when I first saw that film.

David

I showed the movie to Mrs. Pirate while I was working on the model (she'd never seen it before), and she was blown away by how realistic the scene looked. She even enjoyed the movie more than she thought she would.

Also, by coincidence, one of the Spy Kids movies was on last weekend, which featured a scene that was a direct homage to the skeleton fight, only with CGI. The Dynamotion scene was much better.

Cool! We watched this and Sinbad with our 10yo recently, she loved it too but was always rooting for the monsters and a bit sad that they would inevitably meet with sticky ends :(

My friend Dean in NZ has also done an Argonauts skeleton recently, it's funny that you both picked the octopus shield.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

Cool! We watched this and Sinbad with our 10yo recently, she loved it too but was always rooting for the monsters and a bit sad that they would inevitably meet with sticky ends :(

My friend Dean in NZ has also done an Argonauts skeleton recently, it's funny that you both picked the octopus shield.

Cheers,

Will

...I guess your friend enjoys seafood, too?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...