Meng 1/700 HMS Rodney

Billydick

Indeed, it's been on Model Warships for a while but I think they've missed an opportunity there. It's in 1929 fit, so very similar to the far cheaper Tamiya kit, in fact Hannants have it listed (future releases) for £39.99 so it better be amazing for that price! I personally think they should have made it as in 1941, so we could finally have a wartime Rodney. Trumpter, I believe will be bringing out a 1/700 Nelson, so I would expect them to possibly do a Rodney too and I bet they'll be cheaper, not pre coloured or snap fit!

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

You'll need to study plans and pics because they changed the bridgework, something which might not be that easy to do. The easy bits to add are the catapult on x turret and associated crane, which are on quite a few etch sets. B turret had 2 single Oerlikons in individual tubs plus associated ammo boxes etc. She had a pair of 8 barrel pom poms fitted, one each side of the funnel - you can use the part from Tamiya's Nelson kit for this. I think she also had a 3rd pom pom on the stern. Check for radar fit too, she probably had the masthead radars, possibly more. The bridgework is what stalled my Rodney 1941 project.

thanks

Mike

A good starting reference would be the Shipcraft volume covering Rodney and Nelson: LINK. Plenty of photos, albeit a little on the small side, and plans for Rodney in both 1940 and 1942 condition. If you want to stretch your budget a little you could also get R. A. Burt's excellent British Battleships 1919-1945: LINK.

Hope that helps!

Mike.:)