Eurofighter Typhoon - BoB 75th Anniversary - Revell 1/72

CedB

Ignorance is bliss...

Lordy Lordy, Forty? Sounds like heaven to me. :banghead: With today's regulations you'd be lucky to be able to walk near an aircraft let alone do a dance on it.

That masking on the canopy is beyond not only my skill level, but also way beyond my dedication level. :huh:

• Like 1

Good luck with the transfers, I was looking at mine in 1/48 yesterday and can imagine the fun you're going to have with them in 1/72.

I have decided that 2017 will be a " jets only " year for me and am searching for suitable subjects amongst the stash. So far I Have the Eurofighter, Harrier GR9, Javelin, Mirage III, Tornado GR4 ( still to arrive ) and possibly an Aerocomet for the early jets GB. I'm sure I'll start them all but how many get finished remains to be seen.

John

PS Yipee! It's raining here for the first time in a month.

• Like 3

Yes G they are all in 1/48. Our house was built on a slope so that there are two storey on one side and three on the other, and my ' man cave ' is on the lower side of the slope under a bedroom and bathroom, so I have plenty of space.

Lucky guy. I'm envious :owww::D :D

Sorry again Ced :)

Ciao

• Like 1

Thanks Jeffers :) I won't be surprised if you hear the cursing on your side of the pond!

Thanks John and Giorgio :) No problem with people chatting in my threads especially while I'm 'on standby', this time glueing the canopy on (gulp).

• Like 3

Oooh, a new version of the software and a new editor! You can't teach an old dog new tricks... woof... and now the emoticons have been pinched. You know, the old man in the chair one... I shall have a play...

Editor menu - a 'spoiler' button; was that there before?

Try 'quote'...

22 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

I've got three of these beggars to do, admittedly one's a twin seater and the other's to be whif'd but it still doesn't fill me with confidence...

Thanks Charlie :) 

So, quote works and so does typing emoticons.

I've been writing my posts offline so I will now post my efforts - wish me luck!

• Like 2

With the forum down there was nothing for it but to do some modelling. But first, some tidying up.

I know some of you think my workbench is tidy but I tend to go for very tidy and this is a bit messy:

29577829971_d54d731d10_z.jpg

I mean, look at this and this:

29051263223_39cfcc7b9c_n.jpg 29594613471_0bc706fe64_n.jpg

So I bought the ‘HobbyZone Workshop Benchtop Organizer # WM1' from eModels (great service) and spent some time with a hammer and some glue. I now have this:

29388603630_80ed5ce55d_z.jpg

29570271202_22c75fb863_z.jpg

29054919424_38effb0df1_n.jpg 29570288582_f5f1cf5a16_n.jpg

Of course it needs bench testing (see what I did there?) but I’m now a much happier (if a bit anal) bunny. Time to do some Typhoon!

• Like 11

Well, that seemed to work so press on. (I heard a bloop noise and a notification popped up saying Keith did something... must read these and find out where they go... there it was again!)

Aha! Notification when someone replies as you're typing...

16 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Good luck Ced!

Keith

10 minutes ago, giemme said:

Ced, the only way I have to get such a tidy workbench is to clear it out completely! :frantic: 

:worthy:

Ciao

Thanks Keith and Giorgio (and now I've used multi-quote, crikey...)

Two more saved posts to go... with a Typhoon in :)

Last time we looked I was pondering the canopy. Luckily I remembered the seat transfers. Oh, and the pilot’s arms:

29046662973_b4c7cb99f3_z.jpg

This part is a puzzle, until you realise that the lug on the bottom needs to come off, and then the canopy sits down OK:

29044924964_c1e0e0ef9a_n.jpg 29590059941_14d2f152fa_n.jpg

Until you look closely:

29591836331_7e24cd4ba0_z.jpg

It did sort of click on and I think its got pinched together. Oh well, we can sort that out. I used the BlueFixx for the first time on a canopy and I must say the gel is great - it goes into gaps and fills nicely, can be smoothed / cleaned off while wet, and then the ‘hardening’ light lets you see and gaps that you can go back and fill straight away.

29673252525_ce21275062_z.jpg

Bit hard to see where the black canopy meets the black fuselage but not too bad. Then it was on with the last bits, these tiny, tiny thingies. There’s a seam there and the second shot shows it after a quick attack with the ninja scraper:

29592026121_3173a2d8a9_n.jpg 29562332942_00388cc599_n.jpg

A quick trip around the seams, easily dealt with using PPP. Just don’t fill in the hole mid-root on the port side:

29594291351_342aa038b1_z.jpg

Now for the canopy again. When I looked to mask it I noticed that it’s not quite even around the join between the parts, the back is sticking up on one side (??!!) and the front is a bit rough. I brushed some primer on to highlight the problems:

29049513714_e1733bf103_z.jpg

29385215610_ebb484f42f_z.jpg

Now, we all know that fortune favours the brave (and punishes the stupid) so I got out the sanders and did this:

29646200716_bbd4e04631_z.jpg

Don’t panic! After varying grades of Micromesh I had this:

29391130050_2dfbd5e640_z.jpg

Remembering that Micromesh likes a ‘polishing pressure' - press to hard and it doesn’t work as well. Then some polishing liquid:

29055727684_0d3e027741_z.jpg

and a coat of Aqua Gloss (still a bit wet here):

29391473380_8bbd8e53f7_z.jpg

Back to the pretty rubbish quality that was there before.

I’ll get the canopy masked, some paint on and then I can look forward to all these stencils:

29382762290_09ffdce985_z.jpg

Alex has already noticed the ‘bendy jet’ at the bottom; it’s just where I’m holding the paper up, honest!

• Like 11

Masked up the canopy edges with tape for curves as the forum seems to be warming to it, as am I now. Just takes a bit of warming (rubbing down with a finger), a little stretching and a good burnish down:

29067547804_dacfe6c785_z.jpg

Filled in the rest with cheap masking tape, again well burnished AND checked for gaps (experience it’s called - never again). 

Now I know there’s at least one of you out there who’s been thinking ‘when is he going to fit the canards?’. The answer is later. Not intentional. When I was a applying the primer I thought “what are those holes I wonder” and then it hit me:

29403233580_0464b452c5_z.jpg

(Those lumpy bits around the canopy join will be sorted) As we all know, I am an idiot. The canards  were quickly recovered from the sprue, now chucked in the spares bin, and primed too:

29613167451_ca482ca800_z.jpg

This is one of my first jets and the whooshing noises as I sprayed various holes had me worried that paint would now be all over the inside of the canopy - until I remembered that the ‘pit is sealed. 

I hope. :shutup:

As an educational aside - pay attention at the back - according to Wikipedia

“The term ‘canard’ may be used to describe the aircraft itself, the wing configuration or the foreplane.” (so there) and

“The term ‘canard’ arose from the appearance of the Santos-Dumont 14-bis of 1906, which was said to be reminiscent of a duck (canard in French) with its neck stretched out in flight.”

Qwackers.

• Like 10

Well, up to date! That seemed to go OK.

I've had a lot of emails this morning as the upgrade reset notifications to 'immediate'. I've changed mine and told Mike.

Otherwise, all I need to do now is find out how to get my 'Activity Stream' tailored to show content I follow.

Oh, and look at the new 'follow member' feature - prepare to be stalked!

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, giemme said:

Ced, the only way I have to get such a tidy workbench is to clear it out completely! :frantic: 

Or, rebuild it somewhere else!

24 minutes ago, CedB said:

Well, up to date! That seemed to go OK.

I've had a lot of emails this morning as the upgrade reset notifications to 'immediate'. I've changed mine and told Mike.

Otherwise, all I need to do now is find out how to get my 'Activity Stream' tailored to show content I follow.

Oh, and look at the new 'follow member' feature - prepare to be stalked!

Duly noted.

The delta winged hyper modern jet thingy is looking really nice. The canopy polishing was pretty darn impressive. You seem to have that area of modelling all sorted out, too bad you don't live closer to show me a tutorial. :)

Reading through your posts over the past while, I wonder what browser you were/are using? Seems the quote function works well for you now which is good, but some of the links here and there are unformatted after the site update. These things confuse me.

Oh, and I JUST got a dime dropping notification that you are following me. I'm flattered. 

• Like 2

@modelglue I'm using Safari on my Mac. And I've just used the new member label thingy which I assume will drop another dime on you? You deserve to be followed old boy :)

4 minutes ago, modelglue said:

... but some of the links here and there are unformatted after the site update

and now I've used the new 'highlight and right click to quote a bit' feature. Oooh, get me! I'll have a look for the unformatted links...

• Like 2

Aha! Found the other emoticons! When you click the icon it shows a window. In the 'Categories' drop down, choose 'Emoticons', then you can scroll the window... you can still type the name inside colons (if you remember it!)

Mike's posted about it here... RTFM then...

Edited by CedB
I must Read The Flippin' Manual
  • Like 2

Hello Ced. Looking good! I like (as opposed to 'like', snigger) your new wooden organiser. What's in the drawers (if you don't mind me asking? If you do, ignore the question!

Is it just me or the the forum CSS/formatting doing weird things? Early days though and his isn't a complaint about v. 4.

Those stencils is going to be fun  - the same number as on the 1/48 version but almost half the size. Eek.

cheers,

alex.

Thanks @AlexN - the drawers, currently in Beta test, have:

29699094495_752a5b62c1_z.jpg

So masking, clamping and odd bits in the big ones (actually that should be fillers - will be corrected!) and sanding in the upper one.

I've applied the Mr Hobby Color H335 MSG = Camouflage Grey to the underside:

29408222330_7116984903_z.jpg

No, it's not patchy (hopefully), I took that shot while it was just sprayed to show why I dislike paints that change colour as they dry...

• Like 8

Oh dear, it had taken me 2 years to navigate my way around the system and now it's changed.

I've also been clearing my man cave, but out of necessity. We are having a shower fitted in our downstairs bathroom next week and all the water pipes are in the ceiling insulation of my man cave, so I've had to clear a space for the plumber.

The triangular jet thingy is looking good, I am amazed at the rapidity of your builds.

john

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

I am amazed at the rapidity of your builds

So am I! :frantic::pilot: Splendid job so far, I'm curious as how you are going to sort those lumpy bits around the canopy ... 

Ciao

• Like 1

Wow! I don't much care for the new forum update -- I've officially reached the age where everything was better in my youth, and am thus well on the path to becoming a True Modeller. 

The Typhoon is looking jolly nice, Buffers! Excellent save on the dire Revell canopy. Honestly, it looked kinda cool without canards.

• Like 6

Hello, looks good. Just want to post something to see how the new style will comfort me. My old content seems to have gone away. Just have to look for that. Hope new posts will be marked with a red star again , but I will see. Anyway good progress. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1