Airfix Spitfire MkIXc 1/72 - Totally OOB (honest)

dadgaddad

This summer's project was to be a Seafire double build but I somehow find myself about to go back to work without any modelling done at all. Instead the garden is much tidier and the bathroom completely redecorated but not even a little bit of sticking or painting of plastic bits.

So a few days ago as compensation I decided to get something out of the pile that I could put together quickly and without too much trouble. I received this Spitfire as a surprise gift a while back and thought it would be ideal for my purposes. A Spitfire in Johnny Johnson markings and D Day stripes. I'll build this straight out of the box. Perfect.

P1010406_zpszpqr83aq.jpg

Construction starts with the cockpit as usual but hold on, this doesn't have one.

ixinstruct_zpstnmdfvhh

That doesn't matter, no-one will see it and this is a quick build, we'll come back to it later. Firstly, I need to do something about this.

P1010404_zpsqodpgbpu.jpg

Those bumps will have to go so out with the scalpel and sanding stick . . .

P1010408_zpsmmppdm5l.jpg

a bit of primer . . .

ixwings_zps3andmth7.jpg

and that will do. This is a quick build, must be quick.

Edited by dadgaddad
pic replaced
  • Like 3

No-one's going to see inside the cockpit and the canopy will be closed anyway so there's no point in doing anything there. Although I do have this in the spares box. The harness is already attached so maybe with a bit of careful painting . . .

ixseat_zpsiuv4aky7.jpg

• Like 1

Already I'm thinking ahead to how I'm going to paint this. I see it has a Sky fuselage band which will have to be painted before the camouflage and stripes. That's ok, it will be a quick job but this leads to a small problem. The paint and decals won't match and looking at the decals again shows the codes are bright green. This won't do at all, I need a solution. Something quick. Must be quick, this is a quick OOB build.

ixdecs2_zpsp3bq8mpr.jpg

Now, I don't know about you but I just love D-Day stripes on a Spitfire and a quick trawl of the internet brings up this little beauty.

ixdecs_zpsx6atd6yy.jpg

Good, that will be here in a day or two.

Edited by dadgaddad
  • Like 3

:hmmm:

You seem to be drifting from the "...get something out of the pile that I could put together quickly and without too much trouble" plan. Love it! :)

• Like 2

As I mentioned earlier, this kit has no cockpit to speak of so I thought to myself you have no scratchbuilding skills and you have no materials to build with. Let's scratchbuild the side walls. So I went to the recycling bin and found some plastic and cut a few very thin strips and stuck them on. That didn't seem to be too hard, I thought, let's see what happens if I stretch a bit of sprue and cut it into discs. What harm can it do?

ixpit1_zpsgvu63ey4.jpg

• Like 5

Great work! it might be a shame to hide it under that distorting airfix cannopy. but than perhaps, you might find some clear plastic in the bin as well

it's all about gluing junk and imagination together!

• Like 1

Great work! it might be a shame to hide it under that distorting airfix cannopy. but than perhaps, you might find some clear plastic in the bin as well

it's all about gluing junk and imagination together!

I might have a plan for that. A quick OOB plan . . .

• Like 4

I have that decal sheet and it has a wide selection of aircraft on it.

I'm enjoying seeing one being built out of the box ;-) I will be doing the same although my box now contains a Bren Gun etch set for this kit..

Regards,

Mark

• Like 1