Super Mystere B.2 - Airfix 1972

A 5 month build... finally ready. :pilot:

This kit was manufactured in 1972. Finished in alclad polished aluminum and Klear, panel washed and fully re-scribed.
I was expecting worse for an early 70s kit! went together quite well. needed filling of course and the decals were nice and thick but went down well with mr mark setter/softer.

Work in Progress here:
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235001730-super-mystere-b2-vintage-airfix-kit-1972/#entry2344736

THE RESULT

IMG_3433c.jpg

IMG_3419c.jpg

IMG_3427c.jpg

IMG_3428c.jpg

IMG_3426c.jpg

IMG_3424c.jpg

IMG_3422c.jpg

IMG_3430c.jpg

IMG_3425c.jpg

IMG_3421c.jpg

IMG_3431c.jpg

• Like 28

Yes a beautiful Super Mystère B-2!

But if you allow me, I find that the delimitations between the panels

are a bit overdone.

I don't know if your model is 1/72 or 1/48, but don't forget that if you draw a line that is

a millimetre wide it would be 4.8 mm (half a cm) or 7.2 mm. That is really HUGE on the real thing !!!

Y don't think that an aircraft which would have such a big difference between its components could fly.

I think that the same rules should apply to antenna wires.

But they are only MY ideas.

Good night to everybody. Polo.

• Like 1

I have not seen many of these made up, yours is a very well finished SMB2, excellent job.

Zhizhou

• Like 1

That looks great. Good work on the rescribe and a lovey overall finish.

Good choice of scheme as well.

I have one in the Stash that I should really get round to doing. Hopefully it turns out as nice as yours.

Cheers

Plasto

• Like 1

Airfix was on their game in the early to mid 1970s IMHO as a lot of what they did had pretty accurate shapes and relatively good fit for the time. I have one of their F-84F kits partially done and despite all the bad things I heard about it, it is building well. I was also amazed at how well their 1/72 Spitfire Mk I (based on the Mk V tooling which was I believe first done in 1974) fit. Sure they aren't "shake and bake." But if you take the time to test fit and tweak as needed (which liquid solvent glues work really well for), they can come out looking very good in the end regardless of whether you do them out of the box or go to town with aftermarket or scratchbuilt detailing.

Nice result you have achieved with this one!

Edited by JMChladek
  • Like 1

Airfix was on their game in the early to mid 1970s IMHO as a lot of what they did had pretty accurate shapes and relatively good fit for the time. I have one of their F-84F kits partially done and despite all the bad things I heard about it, it is building well. I was also amazed at how well their 1/72 Spitfire Mk I (based on the Mk V tooling which was I believe first done in 1974) fit. Sure they aren't "shake and bake." But if you take the time to test fit and tweak as needed (which liquid solvent glues work really well for), they can come out looking very good in the end regardless of whether you do them out of the box or go to town with aftermarket or scratchbuilt detailing.

Nice result you have achieved with this one!

Considering this is a 70s kit without todays technology.. this kit looks very much too scale and accurate! its as good as todays kits just minus details.

That looks great. Good work on the rescribe and a lovey overall finish.

Good choice of scheme as well.

I have one in the Stash that I should really get round to doing. Hopefully it turns out as nice as yours.

Cheers

Plasto

Goodluck! Best advice I can give you is to throw away the instructions and base painting on your research photos :)

• Like 1

Very nicely done.

I have the same experience with the F-80C also from Airfix:good fit,some small problems with the decals but otherwise no issue....

I really do love kits which really require some modelling skills.

Again,well done.

Regards,Laz

• Like 1