Part of what interests me about this little business I fell in to is that there is so much to learn.

Like many, I until quite recently was under the mistaken believe that sea blue was sea blue, was sea blue. Or more specifically that it was different sheens on the same colour that adorned US Navy aircraft from 1943 until they started painting them Light Gull Grey over white. In my defence, it's an easy mistake to make as a modeller - there is so much misinformation out there. Look at most modelling resources and you'll find FS595 references for all these aircraft. Paint a "tricolor" scheme with FS35024. Paint an all-over blue Corsair with FS15042. Grumman Panther? Yup that's FS15042 also. The fact that Federal Standard actually write on the chip for FS35042 that it is ANA607 Non-Specular Sea Blue and that FS15042 is ANA623 Glossy Sea Blue really doesn't help to dispel the myth either.

I'm not about to tell everyone they're painting their US Navy aircraft the wrong colour - they're your models and you can do what you like. What we have done though is make colours matched specifically to the best US Navy colour monograms going. I, for one, was surprised at the difference when reviewing the chips with our factory technical staff back in July, but things dull with time. They're here now. The ANA607 colour was a particular challenge to get right - the ANA623 and FS15042 were more straightforward but it's still a matching and quality control process which needs to run its course.

I painted the tin lids tonight, and after having a few months to wonder whether I was wasting a lot of resources making 3 new colours which most people think are the same as ACUS07 or any other brand's sea blue for that matter, I was fairly surprised to see how different these colours are, both upon seeing them wet in the big cans they come to us in, but also drying on the lids.

See for yourselves:

Colourcoats ACUS33 - ANA607 Non-Specular Sea Blue going on:

20160906_195044_zpskxzeseug.jpg

Colourcoats ACUS33 - ANA607 Non-Specular Sea Blue almost dry on the lids:

20160906_174325_zpsjnrhvusl.jpg

Colourcoats ACUS34 - ANA623 Glossy Sea Blue drying on the lids - this one is a glossy paint with 25% flatting agent for better usability and to ensure it will actually dry!

20160906_174155_zpsu5thiy4f.jpg

From left to right - ACUS35 - FS15042 Gloss Sea Blue, ACUS34 - ANA623 Glossy Sea Blue, ACUS33 - ANA607 Non-Specular Sea Blue

20160906_194853_zpsq8t4higl.jpg

• Like 3

If it's any consolation Stu, I've done the same thing on all previous models!

I have an Eduard Hellcat that's going to get the new colour treatment though!

The Non-specular is a deep, dark colour. The glossy sea blue is lighter and smokier. If that makes sense...

Here's the thread where I received my initial education. I then went looking for data and sure enough, Nick and Dana were correct as they usually are on these subjects!

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235002870-gloss-navy-blue-for-late-hellcat-question/?hl=%2Bglossy+%2Bsea+%2Bblue#entry2365563

It's likely that it's probably right then Stu - most paints on the market are matched to the Federal Standards, so if you have built a Panther/Cougar/Banshee/Skyraider/similar Korean war era aeroplane then it should be the real FS595 FS15042 :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...