MAP Azure Blue - Colourcoats ACRN34

I'm particularly chuffed with this one. The factory technical staff have slaved over this one for much longer than they first anticipated when I rocked up at their office with the colour cards - it has proved very difficult to get right with modern day commercial pigments. Matching the hue and brightness concurrently took a fair bit of trial and error. The software which interprets the factory photospectrometer and works out how much pigment goes in didn't get it right, and it took a lot of manual intervention and downright experience from many combined decades in matching colours to get this for me.

It's here now though, and tonight I sprayed the tin lids. Tomorrow evening they go on sale.

I'm going to let the results speak for themselves:

20160526_194527_zpso4oqzsij.jpg

20160906_194805_zpsxeot2k6b.jpg

And here's the new colour against the out-going ACRN12 Azure Blue:

20160906_194830_zpsog9iwzrh.jpg

• Like 9

Can you let me know when this makes it stateside?

I shall try to come up with a system to remind me to do this. We have a potential new Colourcoats dealer in the US - but I am sure Bob at H&B Hobbies will include this on his next restock even if the 3rd dealer doesn't materialise. His last was around 2 months ago so I think he'll be another couple of months yet.

• Like 1

You have my undivided attention.

Will you be selling these in themed sets? I can see me putting in an order.........!

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

Yes we are, in short. It's a matter of finding smaller packaging now - we have nice boxes but they hold 12 tins which suits our naval modellers but less so the aircraft modellers. I had thought of putting together a general MTO box set with RAF and Luftwaffe desert colours, but I think it would be best to keep it to single nationality.

Could I enquire as to what you'd like in such a themed set? I'm assuming Azure Blue, Middle Stone and Dark Earth. Anything else?

• Like 1

I suggest Dark Green, for Temperate Land Scheme was common in the early years. Undersides are more of a problem because of the variety used, and even greater variety suggested. Light Mediterranean Blue, perhaps. Possibly Light Earth, thought to have been used before Middle Stone became available. That could give you six. After that you have the standard Night, White, Sky and Red - used for the spinners as an identification feature. Sky wasn't popular so could be omitted.

Presumably, of course, you are also contemplating a Temperate Land Scheme + Day Fighter Scheme set, and/or FAA/Temperate Sea Scheme/Coastal Command set, Sky would appear in those two as well, a would Dark Green and Dark Earth, of course, so for the Desert set you might consider replacing the Dark Green by the identifying Red.

So my sets would have (1) Dark Green, Dark Earth, Sky, Ocean Grey, Medium Sea Grey, and Night, and (2) Extra Dark Sea Grey, Dark Slate Grey, Sky, Sky Grey. PRU Blue and White. Or PRU Pink? Where is the yellow for the Day Fighter trim? No-one's perfect.

What I'd like to see is a summary of which colours you have seen fit to change, although I can see why you would not want to mention ones which were yet to appear. This is so I can see which of my fairly-complete set of WEM Colourcoats I need to replace. Other than the ones I know to be wrong - talking of which, is it possible that you could move a new accurate SCC15 up your priority list?

• Like 1

Hi thanks for the quick reply!

Nothing exotic - sets like BoB era, day fighter scheme (1941 onwards), FAA, Near East, the Far East and the various post war combinations, plus generic sets with red/white/blue/yellow/High Speed Silver markings.

There are a lot of us still preferring enamel formulated paints.

Trevor

btw - they need to be brushable too :)

• Like 1

Thanks Gents.

We gots RAF Battle of Britain and Coastal Command already.

We'll knock up a Mediterranean set. There's some good input there Graham.

Re. SCC15 - I've asked Mike Starmer if he'll have another look. Quite a few of the British Army paint codes have ammendment suffixes on them already dating back (long) before my time, so I suspect they were already updated after Mike's review back, when? 2007? Mike's sending me a sample of SCC No.2 Brown after a request for that at the weekend. If our armour colours are dud, we'll sort it.

So far, it's only Azure Blue we've changed - the rest has been additions. I'm going to try checking ACRN12 against the American Azure Blue incase that's what it is before doing anything irreversable.

We have a Royal Navy ship colour modification to make, I believe, and when Nick gets time we'll overhaul a few. Japanese colours. When time and funds permit we'll tackle the VVS ones.

Our short term priority is restocking stuff though and rolling out colour sets - hence why Azure Blue took precidence over restocking some slow selling stuff!

• Like 6

Nice to hear that Nick will be overhauling the Japanese colours, when I built my Ki 27 Nick was very helpful with the colours and model paint suggestions but it would be nice to get the paints as standard colours from one supplier.

Cheers

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

HI, yes ACRN12 is the old one and will be run out. From my email history we sent the latest restock to Creative Models in October, so that would have contained ACRN34. Perhaps it's all gone already though ...