IJN Akagi-1/350 Hasegawa

NMBROOK

Hi all,I am new to the forum and my first build log is going to be that of Hasegawa's Akagi.There are two excellent builds on here already of this model so feel the bar has been set very high.

As well as the basic kit,I have amassed all Hasegawa's option packs plus quite a few others as well.In my next post I shall show all the 'goodies' I have collected.These purchases have been over a few years as the total cost is quite frightening.My intention is to take the kit about as far as is practical.

Kind Regards

Nigel

• Like 3

Thanks Colin,I agree these kits with all the options are quite an intimidating project.I plan on trying to break things down into stages and subassemblies as much as possible.I hope this will then stop me feeling overwhelmed.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Yup, I'm in too!

Watch out for the way the under-deck grid work bends in the super set. Do the side sections 1st to get a handle on how it goes together. do the bow under-deck PE last, as that's the hardest part.

As you have seen the 2 builds on here by Warren & Tim, Learn from them as i have. & apparently: IT'S A HOBBY, SO HAVE FUN!!! (i miss my hair....)

• Like 2

Oh man, can't wait to watch that!

I have Akagi, Nagato, Ise and a couple of other cruisers all in /350, though I only have the upset for Akagi. None begun yet, as it does look like a most daunting task.

When I do though, I think I'll do the PE in sections. Do some, take a break with another kit, then do another and so on, just so I don't get burned out with all the bending and gluing and magnifying glasses and huge fingers...

As said above, take your time, and in lieu of hair pulling - take a break! :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Thanks everyone :) Now the weekend has arrived I can try get my head around posting images.Opening an account with photobucket and uploading images was easy,linking to them here is confusing for me,but here goes.

Some pics of the goodies I have bought so far.I have left any armament upgrades until they are required.There are so many different manufactures of these I need to look at what appeals the most.I have added titles to each pic on photobucket but here is a list as this is all new,I am not sure if that will appear on here.

Obviously the basic kit

Hasegawa photoetch sets A,B and C

Hasegawa Superdetail set

Hasegawa wood deck

3 packs Hasegawa jackstays.(most probably too many,but will come in for future plans)

Eduards Akagi set

Eduards back column set

Eduard IJN portholes and watertight doors

Alliance modelworks perforated gussets and beams

Tamiya Degaussing set

Alliance modelworks bollards

ak1_zps1y6vpgqj.jpg

ak2_zpscctloftf.jpg

ak4_zpsk16ayzki.jpg

ak3_zpssqafwtyj.jpg

ak6_zpsktofr2kt.jpg

ak7_zpsakafk7zi.jpg

ak5_zpssmdfjdqh.jpg

ak8_zpsxksqinf9.jpg

Kind Regards

Nigel

• Like 6

Thanks again and actually yes I do have the Master brass barrels,just forgot to mention them and take a pic,I also forgot to mention the North star individual ladder rungs :winkgrin: That many bits and bobs,Only thing I didn't get was the G Factor props.now Hannants don't list them :fight:

Kind Regards

Nigel

• Like 1

Oh and I forgot three sets of Hasegawa aircraft

Anyway,on with the build.I have drilled out the portholes in the hull halves.Concentrating on one side at the time,I have subjected the moulding to a weight loss program with the Proxxon and a rotary burr.All areas where there is an open edge,e.g.portholes doors and exposed plating edges have been thinned right down.I still have more work to do on this side,notably at the stern where the boat hanger is.The small square hatches have also been cut out to be replaced with photoetch.

All the moulded detail has nearly been removed and also the mould joint lines at each end of the bilge keel.I had had a go at rescribing the plating but was less than impressed hence the filling.I have also had to do some remedial work where I removed the moulded jackstay at the top of the torpedo bulge.It was tight in the corner and a sod to remove.

I have remade the little section in plasticard that sits inside the hull.This had blanked in hole detail and IMHO was too long.It ran behind portholes which seemed wrong.I made a simple 'cassette' for this to slide into to enable this to be slid in later in the build to allow separate painting.Waiting on some 0.25mm plasticard for the bollard base then this can be detailed and painted then put to one side for later on.

Kind Regards

Nigel

ak9_zpsh2lzcf92.jpg

ak10_zpsqgwwyen8.jpg

ak11_zpsovfvn1xn.jpg

ak12_zpsltjqscsk.jpg

ak15_zps7ct7jlr4.jpg

ak13_zpsqpandf7u.jpg

ak14_zpsm7ampugq.jpg

• Like 4

Thank you very much.Yes I agree these carriers are rather chunky unmajestic hunks of steel.However I find something rather appealing in there almost Blackpool tower like construction style:D

Small update in that the section has had the detail added.The bollards are Alliance modelworks turned brass and certainly looked the part more than the plain plastic kit ones.I chose to add a section to the rear of the door simply so it appears to lead somewhere when looked through.There is a lip at the rear of the section to take a section of internal hanger deck.This will be fitted much later and I haven't fully assessed exactly how many of the plastic bulkheads will be cut down to provide the internal detail I need due to opening up the blanked off openings dotted around the hull.

Finally I finished the part with Tamiya fine surface primer then TS-67 Sasebo grey from a rattle can.IMHO very little of the decks are linoleum covered,apart from the main decks,the majority are plain steel.

Kind Regards

Nigel

ak16_zps3zxjn8eo.jpg

ak17_zpsitpr7ayb.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello again

Work is steadily progressing on the port side hull half but it is very slow going.Lots of details to add and limited time due to work.I have progressed with the funnel though to the painting stage.This is a project all on it's own and have treated it as such.All the molded detail had been removed and the holes in the support bracket drilled out after thinning this down from the inside.The many jackstays have been added using the taller version in the Hasegawa set.These were designed to be double folded on the legs but after fitting as wasn't keen on the look so ripped them off and redid them bending just the bottom fold to provide the mounting 'foot'.

I have fitted individual ladder steps by north star as well.In all this has been a bit of a 'baptism by fire' due to my previously limited photoetch experience.

Kind Regards

Nigel

ak19_zps9b0vbmhc.jpgak18_zpsfbidpxpy.jpg

• Like 7

Thankyou!

After priming and a little fettling I sprayed the funnel Sasebo Grey then added the black topping.Took about an hour to mask off for the black due to the jackstays and a minute or two to spray!

Kind Regards

Nigel

ak22_zpsjckywjji.jpgak21_zpsn64djija.jpg

ak20_zpsaw6rjmdi.jpg

• Like 5

Thank you Jockster

I am hoping to get some pics up at the weekend of the work on the starboard hull half.I have decided to do as much as possible before joining the two halves as it is easier to work without fear of damaging what is underneath when laid on it's side.

Kind Regards

Nigel

• Like 1