Newly-found RFC photos in Leyland

Graham Boak

I just saw these on the BBC website. I'd love to see what else there is in the collection but I am a bit far away from the museum. Anyone live near it who could maybe find out if they will be published or available online?

Almost 80 excellent photographs of various WW1 types, from a selection (I believe) of some 200. There are plans for a later display in Chorley, and discussions for wider dissemination, although apparently talks with the iWM were fruitless. There has been a very wide response, and yes Cross and Cockade were in there somewhere. The aircraft had all been identified by local aviation expert Gordon Bartley, plus he'd provided background information on them - in folders, which I didn't study, but I couldn't fault his identification whereas he did fault mine! The family are considering placing them on the internet but this will not be for a while yet.

In the meantime, the exhibition has featured on Granada TV's North-west news programme; will appear tonight on the BBC's North West news (6:30, and look for a certain white-haired modeller inveigled into the crowd scene, if not cut on the grounds of public decency); and is on YouTube thanks to "thatslancashire"'s "Window on the past". I haven't seen any of these, but Granada's approach was criticised for being "too jazzy".

• Like 1

Thanks for letting us know Graham. I do hope that they go online or are published in order that those interested and not local to the exhibition can get to see them. Every single image from those days is a little treasure to be preserved and shared among the descendants of the combatants.