1/24 london bus diorama

kpnuts

Hi all, this may or may not happen, it will be the biggest project I've ever taken on I've been playing with the layout, it will be huge (I may have to try and make it in 2 halves somehow to store and work on it) anyway I cut the footprint of all the the vehicles and have placed them roughly (obviously a piece of oblong paper doesn't really look anything like a car or bus but it gives me an idea of scale needed, as you can see I can't really make it any smaller but I will need a few more cars ( any suggestions on iconic British cars availiable in 1/24)

1oqgbt.jpg

35cg7dv.jpg

This is something like I'm hoping to depict.

be9gkn.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all well here is the first tentative steps in this one, I've primed and top coated the Bentley, won't get much else done as on hols on Friday, really need this holiday work is soooooooooooo stressful at the moment.

29z7dc2.jpg

167k1vq.jpg

9719g0.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all, well Robin (on another forum) had a great idea to add a zebra crossing to give me a cut line so as i can join the two halves together, but I've checked and can find no ref pics at any time period with a zebra crossing at picadilly circus (and I can't add something to such an iconic British landmark that wasn't there) so,,, Ive got a cunning plan, I'm going to make all the buildings and scenery removable (not sure how yet) anyway made a start on the fountain, I was going to cheat and do it as it was in ww2 but of course the route master and mini and taxi for that matter were after ww2.

qntgmf.jpg

15hndhi.jpg

1y93r9.jpg

I know, I know it looks like corrugated cardboard but with a bit of plaster of Paris I'm sure it will be fine (I hope)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all can't really get into any serious modeling (no time) but decided to try another idea with the fountain made the paving slabs out of stiff paper and added pre shading, I think it's going to be OK, not sure how I'm going to handle the curb stones.

2mg6wwh.jpg

Re the required joints...

I'm pretty sure that Picadilly Circus had a tarmac road surface in the 60's. If that was the case then there would have been plenty of slightly raised, darker, lines between the slabs of tarmac rather like this:

P3.1.jpg

You could model those as a means of disguising the section join. 

Hi all well I've started on the fountain (not sure how to do the corner ornamentation yet) but I pleased with how it's starting, this is a picture frame upside down and a bit of the ornamentation filed off its actually 2  mil to low in scale but that's only a couple of inches overall.

295fsqc.jpg

21km9m1.jpg

mwv18k.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all I've realised I've made a huge error with this, so huge in fact that I'm just going to have to call it a London like dio (I could never have modeled half of Eros anyway) I was so busy trying to get the hight right on the fountain, I forgot about the area of it, wasn't till I put a 1/24 figure up to it (as someone suggested) I realised, i have the width totally wrong should be at least twice as long as I have it. Although I could remake it, it would mean redoing the steps, again on could do that, the problem is I would have to scale the rest of the dio up and it's already a metre square, I have nowhere to keep a dio of over 2 metres square, so it will just have to be the way it is.

Hi all well since I can't work on herbie at the moment (still waiting for decals) I decided to do a bit to this.

2dt7urk.jpg

As you can see from this the fountain is utterly wrong, grrrr, 

2lwr8gk.jpg

Revell made a mistake

2zoy93r.jpg

Oops

First coat on seats

iqes01.jpg

OK so here's another update.

2a0cjmb.jpg

qpq8zp.jpg

And I thought since this is the London bus dio I'd better start the bus (it's a lot bigger than you think and I've run out of red paint now, not even enough to finish the body on this so now I have to get some more)

2a7djif.jpg

29b217d.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all another update, I lost one of the stub axles or whatever they are so I had to scratch build a new one, cocktail stick to the rescue again (I find them sooooo useful)

i6kqbt.jpg

v789qx.jpg

14czbld.jpg

2m78652.jpg

htcxgk.jpg

Did some griming up of the bus chassis, needs a bit more but I'm quite pleased with it.

15nm5u0.jpg

Edited by kpnuts