Which 1/32 scale P51?

coolingthunder

Allright,

So I have been sitting on a (I think) neat idea for quite some time now. I have a metal placard printed with a drawn image of a P51D (Chicago's Own).

I would like to recreate that very Mustang in scale model form and display the 2 together. The decals for this aircraft are made by CAM decals I believe.

Now, my question is, which 1/32 scale P51D would you guys recommend? There is of course the perhaps obvious answer of the Tamiya kit, which looks very nice and has some pretty great reviews written about it, but of course, it is also really expensive... For that price range I'd perhaps rather try something from Hong Kong Models or Zoukei Mura.

There is also the Trumpeter and Dragon (which is hard to find) versions, but now I am wondering if the extra price for the Tamiya offering (which is nearly twice of the Trumpeter one if I recall correctly) is really worth it.

I am the average intermediate builder, so AMS and the need for absolute superdetailing has not set in (yet) :coolio: , and if there are any inaccuracies, I can live with those. (provided it is not something blatant of course) If it looks like a Mustang, I am already happy.

Is the extra cost for the Tamiya justified, or would anything else (with perhaps some aftermarket) be better value?

Given what you have written then really it's back to you. I have read the reviews of the Trumpeter and Dragon models and many years ago built the Hasegawa P51D and back then was happy with that.

However I have the Tamiya model in the stash and it is a class above the rest. Factor in both the Trumpeter and Dragon kits receive pelters in reviews by those who claim to know about accuracy issues and for me I would get out the cash from the wallet after a fight and go Tamiya.

But that's me and other modellers views are also available. If you are happy to accept any problems (imagined or real) then go for the others.

I am researching a 1/32 Trumpeter Mustang 111 build and I think some of the impossible issues can be addressed with some application of modelling work. Some can't but I am not exactly a replica of Michelangelo's David myself. Close though !!! :winkgrin:

Pretty much echo JohnT about the Trumpeter and Dragon kits being poorer choices. Here's a quote from Brett Green of Hyperscale:

"Both Dragon and Trumpeter have made more recent attempts at their own 1/32 scale P-51D kits, but each was plagued with noticeable errors and omissions. In addition to problems in the cockpit, mirror-image and reversed propeller pitch, incorrect wheel wells and various missing elements, the Dragon kit was uncharacteristically moulded with very heavily rendered surface detail. Trumpeter’s effort was better in some areas but introduced new shortcomings of its own, including a very poorly shaped windscreen. It also suffered from heavily recessed and fairly soft surface detail, and shared the same incorrect wheel well configuration as the Dragon kit."

From what I've read, the Zukei Mura is definitely worth considering, but I have to wonder about its complexity. All the in-box reviews ooh and ah about the huge wealth of detail, but I've found exactly zero articles online that say anything about what it's actually like to build the thing. Even the Tamiya kit, which has many fewer parts, apparently requires great care in construction due to its extremely close tolerances.

Finally, I'm seeing better prices on ebay for the Tamiya than for the ZM, which would probably sway me toward the former.

For a -D, unless you're restrained by your modelling budget, Tamiya is the way to go. The only aftermarket really required, if you don't like 'rubber' tyres are those available from Barracuda or Brassin and if you're not keen on the kit decals there are plenty around from suppliers like Eagle Editions and Barracuda etc.

Go on, get the Tamiya kit - you won't be disappointed!

Cheers

Dave

Edited by tango98
  • Like 1

I would recommend the Tamiya kit in terms of accuracy and ease of build. If you shop around you should be able to get one for around 70 quid, (there's one on eBay at the moment including replacement wheels). I consider myself an average builder and came up with is after 4 months of tinkering.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235007500-detroit-miss-p-51d-mustang-361st-fighter-group/

Another vote for the Tamiya kit. You can make a reasonable replica by starting with the Dragon kit, but it will take a lot of work and a truckload of aftermarket. Ditto, I believe, with the Trumpy offering, but I haven't actually handled their plastic. The ZM kit is nice, but gives a vast quantity of detail which disappears from view when the model's closed up. As is usually the case, you pays your money, you takes your chances, but for mine you can't go past the Tamiya kit.

I would recommend the Tamiya kit in terms of accuracy and ease of build. If you shop around you should be able to get one for around 70 quid, (there's one on eBay at the moment including replacement wheels). I consider myself an average builder and came up with is after 4 months of tinkering.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235007500-detroit-miss-p-51d-mustang-361st-fighter-group/

Allrighty then, I guess that is a pretty overwhelming answer, the Tamiya it is then ^^

Now off to scour the internet for the best deal, I will indeed have to find some better tyres, the vinyl things don't really appeal to me that much...

Also Howard, that is a very nice looking Mustang! I hope my turns out like that too :)

• Like 1

Well I though I was an average modeller, now after looking at that I'm now thinking below average :winkgrin:

If you are looking for a more affordable option, then consider the old 1/32 Hasegawa kit. I has good overall shape and decent detail for the age of the moulds. You should be able to pick one up for around £20 od quid. There's also AM stuff available if you want to tart it up a bit. Just my two penneth worth. Obviously its not as good as the Tamiya/Trumpeter/Dragon ETC but still a nice model with abit of TLC. Cheers Greg :winkgrin:

Also, could you perhaps get me the link to the ebay one? Cant seem to find it like that...

For a -D, unless you're restrained by your modelling budget, Tamiya is the way to go. The only aftermarket really required, if you don't like 'rubber' tyres are those available from Barracuda or Brassin and if you're not keen on the kit decals there are plenty around from suppliers like Eagle Editions and Barracuda etc.

Go on, get the Tamiya kit - you won't be disappointed!

Cheers

Dave

This. Definetly go for the tamiya kit, well worth it. :)