Spitfire Mk.IXC (Eduard 1/72), GRII/33, French AF

I am really bad at group builds, there is always something that stops me - lack of time, problems with my builds, etc.

But I will try to do my best this time.

OK, the kit is (now) a well-known Spitfire Mk.IXc by Eduard:

SpitIXbox_zpsmfh8n6ul.jpg

Boxcontent_zpsavvbddae.jpg

This is the Profipack version with PE and masks and many parts not to be used.

And I would like to build this particular plane of the "Savoie" squadron based in Corsica, 1944 (source: internet) - but I would say she belonged to a GR (Groupe de Reconnaissance), not to a GC (Groupe de Chasse):

Sideview_zpsuopteezc.jpg

She was also offered by Hasegawa in 1/48:

s-l1600_zpsskop8plf.jpg

• Like 8

The wings: bottom and upper parts went together OK. I had a problem with the wingtips (but many people I know did not) so I cut off the tabs provided and sanded the matting surfaces using a wet’n’dry on a piece of glass. Not a bad result, no nasty gaps anymore.

Wingtogether_zpsxln8t69l.jpg

• Like 5

Interior parts (sans the gunsight) ready to be assembled. The basic paint is Tamiya XF-71 mixed with white, some dirty wash and pale grey drybrush. No problem so far - probably waiting somewhere for me :fight:

InterParts_zpscsjhxdqd.jpg

• Like 9

Doing well so far Marcel, need to get my hands on this kit also.

One option with the wingtips is to attach them to the top wing first, then apply the bottom wing after. I found this tricked worked when working on the 1/72 Hasegawa Spitfire VIII/IX. If you glued the tip to the top wing first the aligned perfectly, as the bottom would simply align in due course. However if you attached the wing halves first then the tip there's the possibility they'll move and will be out of alignment. Not sure if this is true for Eduards Spitty so will have to see.

• Like 1

Hi Tempestwulf, thanks for the hint, I will try it on my IXE.

Small progress: ailerons attached to the wings, interior installed and fuselage halves joined. I also assembled the prop and started the tailplanes:

Spitparts_zpsxikbzxrp.jpg

• Like 4

So the wings were attached to the fuselage - no problem at all. I added the tailplanes as well.

Encroix1_zpsdosyhygx.jpg

Encroix2_zpsntgtiojb.jpg

Now the upper cowl comes in two halves and I don’t like it at all, definitely very difficult to achieve a perfect joint:

Uppercowl_zpsdswlx4ee.jpg

As I have some left over resin gun barrels I am going to use them:

Resinguns_zpsgzkwwros.jpg

The UC legs are usable but I’m thinking of the Brassin set for my next build:

Legs_zpsbmj7en7i.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

During the weekend I managed to mask the canopy and to apply black Surfacer by Gunze to all plastic parts:

Blacksurf_zps5ih7kg5f.jpg

and also some Gunze resin primer to wheels, tailwheel, exhausts and cannon barrels:

Resin_zpsx2efqcih.jpg

• Like 6

A very small step for a man - the last week was quite busy at work and then there was my sister-in-law’s wedding at the weekend (fortunately no funeral). And I was forced to drink a lot of Jamaica rum...

Anyway just some fungus created with Gunze Base White and then some Tamiya Yellow and Sky applied.

Fungus_zpsyb8j3fsn.jpg

• Like 8

Watching along Marcel - she is looking very good.

Thanks Tempestwulf for the tip about the wing tips - I'll try to remember that for mine :)