Spitfire Mk IXc JE-J question

dfqweofekwpeweiop4

Look for pictures of a 402 Sqn bird flown by F/O Keltie, coded AE*B, had Popeye nose art. I believe he turned this bird over WC Johnson. Found one pic that looks like narrow blisters, but it's a bad angle to see clearly. Let google be your friend.

Most likely 'wide'. Photographs of EN459 show it had wide blisters in operational service while EN464 from the same batch, was photographed at the beginning of Feb 1943, factory fresh on its delivery flight, had narrow blisters.

According to the Hasegawa kit (which is what the JE-J Decals are from) it's the narrow blisters.

thanks

Mike

The Hasegawa kit has decals for MKxxx (don't remember the numbers), that is, Johnson's second Mk.IX, which had indeed narrow blisters. EN398 had wide blisters.

Confusing - No, we have the inter web!?!?!

I remember when I built Keltie's Spit (EN398) to use the nose art decals; I found info that he had an early Mk IX. The reference said to use the rounded rudder & early elevators, since I was using the Hassy kit I don't recall how I accomplished the rudder but doing the early balance horns for the elevator was just a putty and re-scribe job. Cannot recall what my reference (& don't remember which) said about the cannon blisters??

In the (OOP) book "Spitfire II; The Canadians" by Robert Braken, there's a 3/4 frontal photo (page 36) of Ian Keltie's Mk.IXc ( AE*B ) EN398, taken in March '43. It's the typical 'hero' shot showing Keltie posing between the cowling and the port 2omm cannon, but the photographer's vantage point is raised as if on a ladder, maintenance platform or an embankment. Amongst other things, it shows a good portion of the upper wing. Although not a definitive 'plan view', it does appear the cannon blisters are of the 'narrow' variety. The blister itself clearly appears only behind the 20mm and does not encroach to encompass the area behind the outboard 'stub'.

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley

Can anyone confirm that the Spitfire JE-J (EN398) as flown by Johnnie Johnson was the 'early' Mk IXc (as Eduard like to call it)? Just thinking of options for the Eduard Royal Class.

thanks

Mike

Hi!

Robert Bracken did a lot of research on this aircraft, including speaking with Johnnie Johnson. Here is what he has found:

It is an "early" Spitfire F.IX

It has the "Cheese Cutter " IFF

It has the Mk.XII style carb inlet

"Standard" rudder and early elevators

It has the covered wheels

and it has the larger cannon bulges.

It has the fuel cooler

Bruce

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/09/2016 at 17:05, Scott Hemsley said:

In the (OOP) book "Spitfire II; The Canadians" by Robert Braken, there's a 3/4 frontal photo (page 36) of Ian Keltie's Mk.IXc ( AE*B ) EN398, taken in March '43. It's the typical 'hero' shot showing Keltie posing between the cowling and the port 2omm cannon, but the photographer's vantage point is raised as if on a ladder, maintenance platform or an embankment. Amongst other things, it shows a good portion of the upper wing. Although not a definitive 'plan view', it does appear the cannon blisters are of the 'narrow' variety. The blister itself clearly appears only behind the 20mm and does not encroach to encompass the area behind the outboard 'stub'.

Scott

This one?

mk9-keltie

Cheers,

Bill

Interesting that the 20 mm and inboard 0.303" MG have light-coloured seals (vice red) over the muzzle areas, while the outboard 0.303" seems to have ...nothing(?) to indicate either the red area or the light colour area of the inboard Browning.

Steve and All,

The blisters are of the large style, it is the angle of the photo which makes them appear to be of the narrow type. Also the outer .303 Brownings were removed. JEJ flew EN398 with the outer guns removed.

1 hour ago, Bruce Archer said:

Steve and All,

The blisters are of the large style, it is the angle of the photo which makes them appear to be of the narrow type. Also the outer .303 Brownings were removed. JEJ flew EN398 with the outer guns removed.

Forgive my boldness, but can you cite a source on the latter claim? I've never heard that to be the case, and in any event, the picture is of EN398 when Ian Keltie flew her.

Navy Bird:  Yep, that's the one. 

I will concede the angle of the photo may've thrown me off, but I would think that even at that angle, the blister would've covered or at least been closer to the outer 'stub'.  In the photo, the blister appears to be solely to the rear of the 20mm. with no attempt to cover a wider area.  I know in the case of Spits, wing-tips and I suspect, cannon bulges - were not constant.  Wing-tips could be changed by ground crew or a maintenance unit.  I suspect cannon bulges could and were, as well.  Better to go with a (period) photo - if possible.  If the photo and profiles conflict, I'd go with what the photo tells you... even if you have to take your best educated guess from the information the photo shows. As a secondary reference, period photos of 'sister' airframes would help to form an educated guess, but in the case of aircraft like a Spitfire where the configuration was known to change as the airframe evolved, I'd still take that as an assumption at best.. 

To illustrate how the configuration of a Spit's wing was so easily changed, I quote from an email from Robert Bracken (dated Jan.19/05) re his research on 417 Sqn. Mk.VIII's, where he specifically mentions Bert Houle, the CO of 417 Sqn.  He goes on to say Bert always flew with the codes AN*A on his aircraft, but he also mentions that official records didn't always show modifications on airframe or markings. And I quote "Bert said he liked his clipped wing Spitfire so much, that he had his Spits in 417 so modified - a brief job for the ground crew." 

FWIW ... Ron Lowery, who did the profiles for Bracken's book, also spoke with Bert Houle and as a result, illustrated his Mk.VIII with clipped wings.  I wonder how many modelling Bert's Spit VIII would even consider clipped wings without photos or the benefit of a 'personal recollection'?   The source for that email quote was, I believe, an interview with Bert Houle by Robert Bracken, during the course of researching the book.

Don't unconditionally trust 'second-hand' information/profiles.  Too many times, modellers have seen flawed research perpetuated by kit mfgrs and 'researchers' over the years to the point where it's considered undisputed fact by the majority. It's been said many times in modelling forums - always go with a photo (photos?) of your subject.

Scott

From Edgar's Spitfire notes:

"Also, by fall of 1943 at the latest, all surviving Spitfire IXs were getting the narrow­chord cannon covers as replacements for the early wide ones."

Many thanks to the chap who collated all of Edgar's notes into the single PDF file. His name escapes me at the moment...

Cheers,

Bill

14 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

From Edgar's Spitfire notes:

"Also, by fall of 1943 at the latest, all surviving Spitfire IXs were getting the narrow­chord cannon covers as replacements for the early wide ones."

Many thanks to the chap who collated all of Edgar's notes into the single PDF file. His name escapes me at the moment...

Cheers,

Bill

I remember talking to Edgar on the phone about this very issue. I concur with Navy Bird. Where can one get a copy pf the PDF?

2 hours ago, Sean_M said:

I remember talking to Edgar on the phone about this very issue. I concur with Navy Bird. Where can one get a copy pf the PDF?

They can be downloaded here:

http://www.jonbius.com/edgar-brooks-spitfire-notes/

Cheers,

Bill