"We have a victory,a remarkable and definite victory,a bright gleam has caught the helmets of our soldiers and warmed and

cheered all our hearts",so Churchill told his audience at the mansion house speech on the 10th of November 1942,and we

had,the three years of advance and retreat across the desert's of North Africa was in it's final phase it was indeed the end of

the beginning.Right that,s the budding author side of me finished what we have are two ancient Airfix kit's of two of the Tanks

that had fought that long campaign.

DSCN3545_zpsp3niq6ee.jpg

As i said old(must be I built them as a kid when they came in poly bags) so rather than another aircraft I thought I would

have another crack at them in my frail dotage! You know apart from the awful track's the moldings look pretty good and

with a little care could end up a couple of nice little replica's,here's the sprue's of the Grant the Matilda I will post when I

get the light.

DSCN3548_zpsy6xzq0kc.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 4

gosh I remember building these two as well so long ago it's scary!!! I seem to remember that the hull was a real pain to get square on the M3 and the tracks were pretty rubbish. I still have both of these stored somewhere!

• Like 1

Thank,s Stix,just thought they would be a quick build with the option of a bit of fun with the weathering plus a bit of a nostalgia trip too! The Grant

really is a dinosaur and will need a fair bit of flexi filler.

DSCN3556_zpsu3qddrke.jpg

And no need the same will be said of the Matilda.

DSCN3558_zpself1s7am.jpg

• Like 3

I build the old Tiger I a few years back. The "Classic" Airfix armour kits still build quite well and usually have open hatches. My favourites are still the Matchbox kits with the diorama base though.

I forgot about those!

I build the old Tiger I a few years back. The "Classic" Airfix armour kits still build quite well and usually have open hatches. My favourites are still the Matchbox kits with the diorama base though.

Built the Matchbox Sherman last yearhttp://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234976395-revellmatchbox-sherman/?hl=%2Bmatchbox+%2Bsherman

• Like 1

Hi all,just a little work on the Matilda yesterday a lot of parts make up the running gear I now have the outer armour fixed in place(such fun)

DSCN3566_zpsumvzzshx.jpg

Cleaned up the Hull which for the kit's age is still pretty crisp.

DSCN3568_zps2wwstlvm.jpg

• Like 3

That running gear must have been fun!! :frantic:

Good to see some progress on these.

Kind regards,

Stix

Funnily enough I built the Matilda a couple of years ago - it took longer to construct than the almost as ancient 1/35 Tamiya PzII!

• Like 2

Like watching a memory from childhood come back to life Steve. Glue all over the kitchen table on Friday evenings after school! Lovely subjects. You can do no wrong with this. :)

Tony

Thanks Tony I will post update before I go to work,I am getting a lot of enjoyment from these two kit's which like a lot of the GB'S I take part in means

building kits and schemes I would probably overlook otherwise,1969 for the grant and 1973 for the Matilda are the dates I have so that would put me

firmly in the Saturday morning build with the money from my paper round era,we has a hardware store with a carousel and all the bagged kits hanging

on it and all those boxed kits on the shelf behind which were bought with Birthday or Christmas money!

Looking good Steve :)

I must be really old though, as I'd moved onto girls and beer by the time the Matilda was released!

Cliff

I was a few years behind you Cliff,78/79 when I gave up the modelling for "pastures new".

• Like 1