AIRPOWER 2016 / Hawker Sea Fury

alpine_modeller

I know most of you guys are only familar with the UK airshow circuit, but if you ever get the chance to go, the Austrian AIRPOWER airshow is great fun.

Its definitely lacking in terms of the latest US and Russian types, but they put up a lot of Europes elite acrobatic teams and a lot of vintage aircraft. Its usually held every 2 years, but this weekend's was the first for 3 years (the Austrian government were a bit reticent to stump up their share of the funding last year)

Reason I felt compelled to post today was because I had forgotten just how damn beautiful the Hawker Sea Fury is in flight. The French registered Sea Fury, F-AZXJ (painted as WH589 RAN) put in a fantastic performance. She has smoke cannisters on the ends of her wings and the aircraft is so wonderfully aerodynamic it can leave super clean trails for minutes after passing.

The only thing is : is this a real Sea Fury ? I dont beleive she has a Bristol Centaurus engine. Can any one confirm ??

Who makes the best Sea Fury kit in 1:72 or 1:48 ? I only have the old Airfix 1:72 in my stash.

Alps.

F-AZXJ is the former Iraqi machine, taken to the US in 1979 and converted to racer configuration with a Wright R-3350. Now flies with a Pratt and Whitney R2800.

Best 1/72 is the Aki resin kit. There is no really good Sea Fury in 1/48, but my favourite is the old Hobbycraft kit done up with aftermarket. It isn't perfect, but all other 1/48 kits have errors, too.

Edited by Paul Bradley

a sea fury has just been imported back into the UK painted up as SR661 , the original fury prototype, which was a land based version, which has a Centaurus. I think it just came back from Aussie in June and has flown Flying Legends. it sounds and looks beautiful.

28028626442_d73a27d9ee_b.jpg

(not my photo. from http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?101285-Newly-Arrived-Painted-Hawker-Fury-Mk-II-Flying-Legends-UK)

The RNHF T.20 is set to fly again in 2017 with a Centaurus 18 hopefully.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, Paul.

Is anyone managing to keep a Sea Fury airborne with a Centaurus powerplant ? I read somewhere the RNHF have all sorts of trouble with VR930, and of course VX281 is gone for the forseeable future.

There's two Sea Furies flying in the Czech Republic, one's a former Reno racer and has a Wright engine and the other is a former Iraqi TMk.20 and I'm pretty sure it still hasa Centaurus in it:

http://www.airtrade.cz/?page=polozka&id=43&EN

Edited by upnorth
  • Like 1