1/48 Revell F/A-18F VFA-154 Black Knights

I present to you my second completed model, a 1/48 F/A-18F VFA-154.

A few dodgy seam lines as I kind of rushed the assembly to get to the painting stage as I was doing this as a test run for a few hornet projects I want to do.

Mr hobby paints were used with a MIG panel line wash and pigments for weathering.

Hope you like it.

IMG_1075_zps6huhsijy.jpg

IMG_1077_zpsg3nbepid.jpg

IMG_1071_zpsj8ryyohu.jpg

IMG_1072_zpsql0l004t.jpg

IMG_1070_zpsjlzbc7e4.jpg

IMG_1069_zpsqesiym4g.jpg

IMG_1065_zpsfl7iiwuq.jpg

IMG_1067_zpsux7nfv0x.jpg

IMG_1061_zpszlqpnraa.jpg

IMG_1063_zpsl5brd5uj.jpg

IMG_1062_zpsv6unwdbs.jpg

IMG_1073_zpsnuo1dsri.jpg

• Like 23

Now that is special, very nice model.

Zhizhou

• Like 1

Many thanks for all the kind works :D

That's a great looking Super Hornet, nice work on the weathering and staining, it looks superb. Good to see the Black Knights represented too.

It was the Black Knights or Diamondbacks on the Revell sheet and I think I've only seen one person do the Black Knights before so thought I'd show them some love!

Edited by lordstrpe

How in the world did you achieve those corrosion control touchups on the inside stabs and the tops of the wings? I really love them, especially the color difference from the rest of the painted/grime weathered areas. I've been shying away from low-vis paint jobs because to me they seem so boring. But you have shown that the trick to doing them is giving them a more realistic weathering exercise so the "boring" gray colors become the main attraction (at least on Navy jets where you can have a bit more weathering).

• Like 1

How in the world did you achieve those corrosion control touchups on the inside stabs and the tops of the wings? I really love them, especially the color difference from the rest of the painted/grime weathered areas. I've been shying away from low-vis paint jobs because to me they seem so boring. But you have shown that the trick to doing them is giving them a more realistic weathering exercise so the "boring" gray colors become the main attraction (at least on Navy jets where you can have a bit more weathering).

Thank you!

The key in my opinion is to have some reference photos to go from. Firstly I painted the base colours, then I looked through all the greys in my collection and selected a darker and lighter colour. With some of the touchups I then put the darker grey down, then took the lighter grey and went over it as well as adding the other touchup areas where I didn't want the darker outline. Afterwards I got the base colour and thinned it heavily and went over certain touchup areas as they would be done at different times so they wouldn't be uniformly the same colour.

I hope this helps.