Adding a metal grain effect to NMF paint

mirageiv

Hi guys.

I've been playing around with some buffable metal paint recently (Gunze Mr.Metal Color) and love the true metallic feel they give (better than Alclad imho). I think it is 90% there to what you can do with a good foil job for NMF, the only thing missing is the metal grain.

Has anyone ever tried simulating this on the paint or underlying primer with any success?

So far, I have tried dry brushing very lightly in a slightly different shade and it gives some texture to the appearance but still doesn't look 100%, it seems to weather it somewhat however in not a bad way. I have also tried very lightly swiping the paint with a very fine abrasive to cause tiny scratches in the surface (very, very small!) that from certain angles give it a discrete texture. It is very easy to overdo this but it could maybe work, though risky. Has anyone tried these or something like these and got good results?

Just interested to hear anyones thoughts on this. Any info shared/learnt would be most welcome.

Thanks,

David.

Edited by mirageiv

Hi David, I'm assuming that your finishes are looking too bright and shiny, like this P-47, which looks incredible, but maybe not the realistic result you are probably after.

If you're looking for a 'grainier' finish, you could try using cheaper metal paints. Craft store acrylic silvers tend to have a grainy finish.

I've done a few NMF experiments using thinned white ink to replicate the weathered metal surface.

I also tried 'dry brushing' AK True Metal (the waxy kind) onto an Uschi pigment NMF.

Using Model Master metalizers, similar to Mr. Metal Color, I found that pebbly Airfix plastic lead to pleasing variations in the finish if it was unevenly sanded first.

Old Man went so far as to boil some foil with eggshells in order to weather his NMF YP-37.

• Like 2

Thank you guys for the info.

They are some great techniques Cookie, thanks for that! I agree that the surface can lead to so many different results, painted/polished/matt/different colours etc..really can vary it then on top you can polish different amounts really breaking it up, not something I could ever do with an airbrush metalizer.

I'm not really after a 'grainier' finish but a burnished finish I guess, for example this pic is pretty good, especially the forward fuselage: https://www.flickr.com/photos/piton/14664785825/

Roughing up the surface a little with micromesh in an organised manner before the metalizer is applied does give a little hint of a finish like the above picture but its pretty darn easy to overdo it, think I need to practice some more!

I found this thread also which has some good examples of weathering the finish, though I guess we would need a more subtle approach for most aircraft surfaces, maybe only a few drops of dark iron etc..to the base aluminium dry brushed like so would look pretty good too: http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/1895-aluminum/

cheers,

david

• Like 1

I find that Humbrol Metalcote Polished Aluminium lets you achieve a pretty wide variation in tone with degrees of buffing -- everything from grainy whitish when unpolished to a quite dark almost steely colour if you have at it with (soft) rotary buffer. Post-Its to mask panel edges work, and don't mark the finish on the underlying panels...

starboard%20profile-XL.jpg

port%20front%20quarter%20high%202-XL.jpg

This is all done with Metalcote Aluminium, even the cannon port panel...

bestest,

M.

• Like 4

Thank you guys for the suggestions, all will be trailed but that Sabre looks excellent with Humbrol metalcote. Did you apply it from the small tinlets or the aerosol? I've never been able to polish up one of these newer tinlets, do you have any tips? I find it is shiney form the tin in a metal paint way but not buffable like a NMF from my experience :shrug:

I'm pretty sure that I used paint from a tinlet -- it was a fair while ago, though, so it will have been a pretty "vintage" version of Metalcote. I don't know what the newest tins would be like...

It might be worth trying the aerosol -- the current Metalcote Steel from a can buffs excellently...

All the best,

M.

• Like 1