Kfz.70 - L 2 H 143 "Krupp-Protze"

06/24

Apologies for the lack of update yesterday, there was progress, but mainly of the fill, sand, repeat variety as I sorted the tool clamp holes etc. Not terribly photogenic.

For this reason I recommend having a pet or being disaster prone in general. That's where most of my thread filler comes from for use when I'm relying heavily on filler of the modelling variety.

• Like 2

One of my failings as a modeller is that I tend to rush to the primer stage, before I have attached all the small details, and this has been the case again here. I kid myself that this doesn’t matter, but of course I should wait for it to be truly finished.

However, the primed sub-assemblies and parts look so appealing, and the homogeneity the paint brings is too good to resist.

29585247615_dbdab22605_c.jpgKP primed by jongwinnett, on Flickr

29475356702_72d551f203_c.jpgKP primed by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Don't worry about the rough surface of the seat squab, it has been Mr White puttied to match the posterior of the proposed driver.

• Like 2

Of course, having primed the parts, I couldn’t resist a dry run to see how it all looked:

29297034330_cd73c61d5e_c.jpgKP by jongwinnett, on Flickr

28963914323_20ae4309f4_c.jpgKP by jongwinnett, on Flickr

28963925723_634e0b3618_c.jpgKP by jongwinnett, on Flickr

29297050680_90270cf083_c.jpgKP by jongwinnett, on Flickr

29297076240_c6922065d8_c.jpgKP by jongwinnett, on Flickr

I can see from that last shot the rear tow hooks need more cleaning up. Other glaring faults will no doubt leap out at me, but I am quietly pleased with the way the bonnet improvements have turned out.

• Like 3

In the meantime, the next project has crept into view:

29295058810_4bbb597a55_c.jpgJagdpanzer by jongwinnett, on Flickr

I blame Craig Ellis myself, as, for those not familiar with the name, his 8 Wheels Good webpage and books are the most detailed observations of one mark of vehicle I have ever encountered.

PC has already told me off for not buying a "good guy one" so the Tasca/Tamiya Firefly may need to make an appearance soon to redress the balance.

8 Wheels Good books can be found here:

• Like 3

Today we had painting of parts. But first we had melting of wheels, as I flattened the wheels to give an impression of weight and load.

29576327356_31e02704c6_c.jpgKP by jongwinnett, on Flickr

This was done by heating a flat metal plate (a smoothing knife in my case) on the hob, pressing the wheel down hard, then plunging into cold water to set and allow it to be flicked off the knife. Cleaned up and then tyres painted Rubber Black (what else) from Tamiya.

29529957101_d36703541a_c.jpgWheels by jongwinnett, on Flickr

As I had broken the steering rod (again) it was superglued together, and the wheel hubs fixed in a slightly steered position. The exhaust and silencer where fitted.

29529937711_75b0aae621_c.jpgRepair work by jongwinnett, on Flickr

The driver figure supplied was an interesting shape, a sort of Deutschobbit if you will. His torso has been lengthened with a sprue offcut then coated in first Mr White putty and then superglue. I’m leaving this to set hard before trying to reinstate some detail. He’s also lost his head, and once the torso has hardened I’ll be drilling out for a Hornet replacement.

28985015774_88398492c9_c.jpgAnd stretch... by jongwinnett, on Flickr

A cost of Revell aquacolor dust grey followed, for the body and wheel hubs:

28985045374_19b694dc09_c.jpgKP by jongwinnett, on Flickr

29529963521_d2fbee55ab_c.jpgKP by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Which to my eye gives a nicely sun beaten Panzer grey.

Finally it could all be fixed together, with just the detail parts and weathering to do we’re on the home straight.

29613008815_a92fba7fb7_c.jpgKP by jongwinnett, on Flickr

29502723602_05720941be_c.jpgKP by jongwinnett, on Flickr

29532270801_53841cf16d_c.jpgKP by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Hope you approve.

Ouch. I've now looked at the photos on screen, and clearly I need to redo the filling on the bonnet sides.

• Like 2

Cheers. The epoxy plan to lengthen the pilot didn't work, so he's now on the naughty step with two layers of black 20thou plastikard inserted and roughly trimmed to shape. Once the glue has hardened I'll finish shaping and try and install some detail, a belt buckle for instance.

I need to decide on a setting. Current thoughts are either France 1940 or the race for oil in the Caucasus in '42.

• Like 1

Today I added a head to the second crewman, and then decided that, since he is sitting in the back, presumably that’s because the front seat is occupied, so I started to modify a third crewman for the front passenger seat.

29550169322_5ec9f884bb_c.jpgKP crew #2 by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Number 2 looks reasonable – Hornet head again, everything else from the Krupp Protze box. The weakest part of the mould is the boots, which look like nothing in particular. I decided on number three (who exhibited the same problem) to see if I could trim them to look like the more stereotypical jack boots. A lot of surgery was required to get the legs to fit the cramped confines of the cab, and, unlike his driver companion, this figure had the proportions of a rugby flanker not a hobbit, so a lot of time was spent trimming his butt to fit down into the seat.

29551504432_8a44cd03fa_c.jpgKP crew #3 by jongwinnett, on Flickr

The jackboots are unfinished in this shot, but are a reasonable attempt – and these will be tucked away under the dashboard anyway. I am sufficiently encouraged to think I might have a go at modifying number 2 to match. But not tonight, for I am bored of sanding small legs! At the moment I’m thinking I’ll use one of the Tamiya heads on number 3, with a Feldmutze, to give some variety, although I also have some suitable Hornet heads on order if the contrast with the other two’s finely sculpted proportions is too great. Anyway I’ll probably stuff them up when I paint them!

• Like 2

Some nice touches here

Kev

Coming from a master such as yourself, that's high praise indeed. Thank you. 1/35 Dog boat to follow your 1/72 epic? The base kit is good, if dated, so with a bit more cleaning up and filling I think it should pass muster.

Great surgery there Jon - what the heck are Hornet heads? They look like people to me (a bit sensitive after the recent wasp nest incident!)

Fear not, no stripey critters involved - Hornet is the brand name for resin heads mastered by the incomparable Roger Saunders - they are a staple of 1/35 modelling and light years ahead of most kit parts. The biggest challenge I think (apart from painting them, natch) is picking ones which are less familiar as these are so widely used!

• Like 1

Looking good Jon :)

eModels sent me an email and when I saw these I thought of you... er, just because they're figures and in no way because of their stances!

How about one of these?

mb24016.jpg

Not the right scale I know, but I like a big bird (sometimes) :D

• Like 3

Hmmm, Mrs 06/24 might consider using the hockey weapon against me.

Not much progress as we've been away for a short break for the school holiday, and I've come back too tired to concentrate. London all day tomorrow so unlikely to get time on this until Thursday. Anyway I think figure painting is next and I’ve never really tried it, so procrastinating and finding other things to do. Like a Tamiya Matilda

• Like 1