Ilyushin IL-86 Uzbekistan Airlines UK-86090 1/144 Zvezda

phil1

IMG_20160902_162247_zpsdx9puirb.jpgIMG_20160902_162346_zpsnxqmoxln.jpg

IMG_20160902_162401_zpsgak6jufh.jpgIMG_20160902_162410_zpsddfqylut.jpgIMG_20160902_162452_zpsswzupxlr.jpgIMG_20160902_162458_zpsbk3bqsvy.jpgIMG_20160902_162531_zpsyoqp0owj.jpgIMG_20160902_162555_zpsmdtihpug.jpgIMG_20160902_162624_zpsspkewzui.jpg

looks like a beautiful kit, the level of detail is insane compared to the Eastern Express IL-96 kit I have just done. I think you can get more detailed resin engines for this kit but at the moment I don't know if it is worth it - the engines look satisfactory to me

IMG_20160902_163121_zpsapdzfzgd.jpg

fuselage is a similar size to the IL96-400/ IL96T + IL96M. note the curved fuselage at the rear for the civil IL86 (above)

IL86_zpsoe33c67v.png

a snippet of the colour scheme i intend to do. decals are not available but they are available for the 767

IMG_20160902_163641_zpstomwfby2.jpg

the fuselage is obviously larger on the IL-86 but I still think the 767 decals will be suitable for the logo on the tail and the red stripes separating the blue and green (painted areas) from the white fuselage.

• Like 5

I do like this aircraft and have often have ummmed and ahh'd about this kit but always bought something else instead.

What I'm impressed with is the detail in the wheel wells - something the other manufacturers could do better with.

Will be watching

MH

• Like 1

Will follow this one Phil,I fancy the original boxing of this kit once I finish the Tu-144.

I've just had a neb at your Tu-144 and it looks great! i dived in and got this as it was super cheap but the decals supplied are a bit pointless as I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to use them. at least you'll have a set of decals with the original

I do like this aircraft and have often have ummmed and ahh'd about this kit but always bought something else instead.

What I'm impressed with is the detail in the wheel wells - something the other manufacturers could do better with.

Will be watching

MH

I'm honestly impressed with the level of detail in general -but i feel more under pressure to preserve it during construction. sadly if I'm going to start doing my airliners with wheels I will have to get permission of the landlady to build an extension, I'm already almost out of shelf space - you can have the undercarriage if you want (if you end up with the revell version or another)

• 1 month later...

if anybody is thinking about buying this kit - DON'T. Whilst I have said that the detail is beautiful and it goes together well it is actually the yellow plastic that is a horror, it peels and peels horribly. when i was filling the windows i tend to mask the areas around the windows with tamiya tape, when i removed the tape (which hadn't been on long) it ripped a layer of plastic from the model. not a disaster with a bit careful sanding but sanding no matter how gentle tears the plastic away even more. as a result ive lost a lot of detail from the fuselage

defo buy the other zvezda kit without the crap yellow plastic

Definitely pay attention to the instructions when you're doing the engines. The engine halves are handed and if you get them assembled in the wrong order the thrust reverser grilles won't be in the right place. Ask me how I know...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jessica said:

Definitely pay attention to the instructions when you're doing the engines. The engine halves are handed and if you get them assembled in the wrong order the thrust reverser grilles won't be in the right place. Ask me how I know...

I'm dying to know! I'm glad you mentioned as I'm not partial to instructions

6 hours ago, BerndM said:

Hello, will follow your build with interest, its a nice kit from a great looking airliner.

Good progress so far.

thanks, going slow at the moment but should get interesting soon!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phil1 said:

I'm dying to know! I'm glad you mentioned as I'm not partial to instructions

Take a look at the engine halves. One half has the reverser grille towards the top of the nacelle; the other has it towards the bottom. This is designed so the reverse thrust can escape above the wing on the outboard side, and under the wing on the inboard side. If you do like I did, you'll end up with 2 engines which vent the reverse thrust downwards on both sides, and 2 which vent it upwards. Oops.

Edited by Jessica
correcting tpyos
  • Like 1

A classic russian airliner :yahoo:I have 2 of them in my stash.So many projects on the go at the moment,so I have no idea when I will finally get to tackle mine.:blush:

Very nice choice of livery too

• Like 1

made a mess of painting the stab, however when i wiped away the paint i got a very nice effect with the paint staying in the gaps

IMG_20161020_192543_zpskfwoq3an.jpg

tried the same technique on the wing with the paint significantly thinned down - the wing tip is the result of a test so decided to go ahead and do the whole wing....

IMG_20161021_150818_zps8kfwqk6c.jpg

used novus scratch remover which resulted in removing the paint and adding a bit shine - leaving the detail 

IMG_20161028_213911_zpsqvptfoz9.jpgIMG_20161028_213941_zps52hc5qkw.jpgIMG_20161028_213919_zpshlnopwn2.jpg

I'm not sure about the results, it does add a bit more realism to my regular glossy results - but I've lost quite a bit of detail on the fuselage (due to that crap yellow plastic) so I'm worried the wings will look a bit odd in comparison to the fuselage

IMG_20161028_213858_zpsuhxekyvm.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

IMG_20161227_004750_zpsde8r5be8.jpg

finally got underway with this one again! the blue paint scheme has been redone as I wasn't happy with the last one. Looking at recent pictures of the 787 dreamliner convinced me to change it. 

IMG_20161227_142740_zpszuzyma3t.jpg

decals are from pas decals using a combination of the uzbekistan 767 decals and Il-86 transero. I actually forgot to spray the edge of the tail metal before I started adding decals. The red stripes on the edge of the paintwork are a lot more evident on here than in real life 

IMG_20161227_142839_zpsoqhtxa8c.jpg

will likely need another 767 decal set to finish off the red stripes. defo the most difficult part of the application as the shape of the 767 is totally different

IMG_20161227_142852_zpsbjkm5hz5.jpg

the doors in the Transaero set were blue (my mistake) and the 767 doors were too small and also embedded in the Uzbekistan titles (on the 'N' ) and there wasn't enough doors. luckily I had some spare doors from a L1011 or DC10 set and just cut out the handles from the Transaero set and applied on top. 

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

Not sure how I've missed this until now.  It's definitely looking good.

How was the fit between the wings and the fuselage?  I've always gone down the "stick it together and mask it" route rather than get involved in touching up and re-finishing but you've started me wondering!

• Like 1

On 3/16/2017 at 11:26 PM, stringbag said:

It's an elegant looking aircraft in my opinion but that colour scheme doesn't do a thing for me I'm afraid.

Great job on the build and a splendid mask and paint job.

Chris.

thanks mate, the colour scheme is definitely not for everyone, some might say hideous! but i've got to admit its grown on me

9 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Not sure how I've missed this until now.  It's definitely looking good.

How was the fit between the wings and the fuselage?  I've always gone down the "stick it together and mask it" route rather than get involved in touching up and re-finishing but you've started me wondering!

thanks mate, the fit between the wings and fuselage is perfect like you would expect most zvezda kits and its allowed me to get away with it, applying the decals prior to full assembly is just me being impatient and completely unnecessary!