Beech C45 Expeditor question (Colours)

bigbadbadge

Hi All

I am finishing some kits off to clear the shelf of doom for a hopefully fingers crossed impending loft conversion. One of them is a PM C45 and I wanted to do the SEAC option.

The Kit advises the colours are Dark green Humbrol 116?) over Dark sea grey (Humbrol 106) over Medium Sea Grey (Humbrol 165).

I have been looking for references to such a machine and I can only see the Dark green/dark earth variants.

Please can anybody advise if the green/grey machine existed or is it completely spurious ?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Hiya Chris,

I would say that it is spurious mate,....I have only seen Expeditor`s wearing Dark Earth/Dark Green or overall silver with SEAC markings mate,.....some RN ones `may' have had Olive Drab/Neautral Grey camouflage but I`m not fully sure,

Cheers

Tony

Hard to say Chris,.....personally I`d go for MSG but that is just a punt in case they were repainted. I`ve even heard that they could have yellow undersides which would make sense.

Beech.jpg

Never noticed the underwing serials in that photo before. I've always plumped for MSG but esp from that photo could be persuaded towards Trainer Yellow.

PS here's an earlier thread discussing the same subject:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/51684-what-raf-squadrons-flew-the-c-45-expeditor/?hl=Expeditor

Edited by Seahawk

It looks a bit dark for MSG but could perhaps be Azure Blue. Alternatively, if it was classed as a transport it should have been Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey over Azure Blue.

i think we've been around this loop before.... I've done a search but not found it.

I recognise that photo! :-)

Now that the IWM allows better copies of their images to be viewed, this one is interesting:

large.jpg?action=e&cat=photographs
AMERICAN AIRCRAFT IN ROYAL AIR FORCE SERVICE, 1939-1945: BEECH MODEL 18 EXPEDITER.. © IWM (CI 1149)IWM Non Commercial Licence

large.jpg?action=e&cat=photographs
AMERICAN AIRCRAFT IN ROYAL AIR FORCE SERVICE, 1939-1945: BEECH MODEL 18 EXPEDITER.. © IWM (CI 1154)IWM Non Commercial Licence

Compare the underside in the first pic with the Harvard in the background. I'm more convinced that it's yellow. It's not IMO MSG, could possibly be Sky.

Edited by Dave Fleming

I have a wartime colour Expeditor pic,.....I`ll try and find it,......from memory it was Dark Earth and Dark Green,...stand by!

Edit,.....here it is;

expeditor%20poss%20in%20usa_zps4eiq1h4t.

No underside view I`m afraid,....

Here are some interesting b&w ones too,...you could always revert to bare metal;

6897911079_8c6c2cac31_z_zpsqmtpziaq.jpg

AB00116-d1%201_zpsjghxqzeu.jpg

expeditor%20far%20east_zps7xpn6ash.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

The C45 from post #7 of Dave Flaming, originating from IWM collection of photos has a very bright undersurfaces - for me it could be even (and simply) just white! Is it possible?

Cheers

J-W

• 1 year later...