+++ Fairey Fulmar +++ Finished

I've always liked the Fulmar and it was key to air defence for the FAA in the Med. Malta convoys were dependent on them for defence against airborne torpedo and dive bombing attack. I think that despite their limitations Fulmars shot down more enemy aircraft than any other FAA type, including the much modern US types.

image_zpsidnxgdun.jpeg

I think this is the former Smer boxing and has also been boxed by Revell. I will do it OOB and I like the high demarcation, so although I have some transfers in the stash I think this version is the one I'll do.

image.jpg7_zpsqjidgsoz.jpg

Obligatory sprue shot

image.jpg4_zpstgiqffbj.jpg

The detail on the big parts is reasonable

image_zpsoygwfs8g.jpeg

And the clear parts look fine. Although masking the canopy will be time consuming.

image_zpshw3manln.jpeg

Edited by 825
  • Like 11

Good choice,builds easily with no issues and you get a great Fulmar in the end.

Thanks Steve. My other choices of a Swordfish and/or a Maryland are a bit more challenging.

Heads up on that kit. Check to see if the engine exhaust are at the same height up the fuselage on both sides.

Greg in OK

Thanks Greg. I'll have a look and see.

Lots of bits and pieces done and here is the OOB interior. I can live with the pilot's office as there is also an IP but the observer's is a bit bare so will pop something in. I will add some seat belts also.

image_zpsyeuvyyre.jpeg

• Like 3

A radio receiver and transmitter from scrap and two oxygen bottles from a cotton bud tube. I'll add a compass and the observer's instrument panel after the fuselage is closed up.

image_zps1coch1qu.jpeg

• Like 1

Fuselage closed up. Fit pretty good. 

image_zpsijk4ehdn.jpeg

Needed a little filler. I used Citadel Liquid Green Stuff for a change, something new for me. Apart from the fact it wasn't at all liquid it did seem to do the trick. It sanded down nice and smooth. 

• Like 1

Wings and tailplane on. 

image_zpstmklf569.jpeg

Needed a bit of temporary strapping

image_zpsxaz7agmm.jpeg

• Like 1

Good effort so far on a nice kit.

If you have a spare Hurricane blunt spinner Rotol prop,...say from the early Airfix Hurri Mk.I kit,......then that might look better than the prop and spinner in this Fulmar kit which appears a little small,.......but it is still OK if you don`t have anything else.

I think that the u/c legs look a tad short on the finished model too,....but that is just a personal opinion.....see what you think,

Cheers

Tony

14 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Good effort so far on a nice kit.

If you have a spare Hurricane blunt spinner Rotol prop,...say from the early Airfix Hurri Mk.I kit,......then that might look better than the prop and spinner in this Fulmar kit which appears a little small,.......but it is still OK if you don`t have anything else.

I think that the u/c legs look a tad short on the finished model too,....but that is just a personal opinion.....see what you think,

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony. I've done a couple of Hurricanes relatively recently and the boxes are still lying around so I'll have a look. I don't think I'm up to extending the undercart so I'll probably just say it's laden full of fuel and ammo.

• Like 1

Tape off and some filler into the wing roots. 

image_zps8nvrlbpu.jpeg

This is probably all for the week. Later today 825 the younger is off to start University. So we are off to ferry him to his new home in the halls (or Student Village as they are now called). At the moment everything is relatively calm in the 825 household but I suspect it will be a little fraught in the morning. Normal service will resume soon. 

• Like 4

Key trick with the rear office is to get the instrument panel/radio to the front installed and that would busy it up.  

Also watch out for the decals - they are very thin and any blemish under the white sections will show though..  I should have painted white disks under mine..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 825 said:

Tape off and some filler into the wing roots. 

image_zps8nvrlbpu.jpeg

This is probably all for the week. Later today 825 the younger is off to start University. So we are off to ferry him to his new home in the halls (or Student Village as they are now called). At the moment everything is relatively calm in the 825 household but I suspect it will be a little fraught in the morning. Normal service will resume soon. 

Good luck to your youngest,......which University are they going to? It will be our turn next year,........dreading it but excited for him too!!

Cheers

Tony

6 hours ago, tonyot said:

Good luck to your youngest,......which University are they going to? It will be our turn next year,........dreading it but excited for him too!!

Cheers

Tony

Just dropped him off today at Portsmouth. All a bit fraught but hopefully calming down now.

• Like 1

A bit of a hiatus this week. Son off to Uni, busy at work and rugby yesterday. Had popped on a couple of coats of Barley Grey for the Sky Grey undersides. And found the radiator cover had a horrendous seam. Cue for a bit of sanding

image_zpsbfwzsa3q.jpeg

Only problem is that it doesn't look that good. I was trying to save the three 'blobs' and ended up with a grooved radiator cover. It might need a bit more work. Also spotted a bit of imperfection on the leading edge at the wing root. 

Have also done done some interior I work for the rear cockpit. Coaming from 10 thou curved round a paintbrush handle, instrument panel from same 10 thou and a compass and holder from a sprue off cut.

image_zpsssmjdnyf.jpeg

• Like 5

And here they are painted up.

image_zps7a5sm12t.jpeg

I'll pop them in, add the seat belts and close up the canopy. (Probably mask it first). The dry fit of the canopy was good. Let's hope it keeps that way.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Mitch K said:

Come up nice, don't they?

They have, although once in there isn't much to see.

Here is the front cockpit, seat belts courtesy of Eduard.

image_zpsclqcrelj.jpeg

And the rear cockpit. The Eduard lap seat belts were a pain and got lost somewhere inside or the workspace or to the carpet monster. So thin strips of Tamiya tape were use instead.

image_zpsr9l7pufx.jpeg

• Like 2