1/72nd Eduard Spitfire Mk.IX,....not sure yet, may be USAAF?-FINISHED

Hiya Folks,

I just have to join in with this GB,..... so I`ll start off with this, the new Eduard Spitfire Mk.IX;

DSCF8518_zpspz5yse3x.jpg

Took the above pic this morning and I`m painting the interior parts now;

DSCF8513_zps4phxk10z.jpg

Thinking of going for a USAAF option but studying the parts tonight I discovered that the one that I wanted to portray in the grey and green scheme cannot be built from the kit as it has a small carburretor intake, so I may have a re think on the scheme.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 10

Sorry to hear you can't do the grey/green US Spit and I'm surprised Eduard don't provide the small carb intake part in their new kit. Perhaps you can get one from an Airfix IX kit?

• Like 1

Cheers fella`s,

Eduard do provide the small carb intake but I only realised after adding the wings that the lower

wing part is only applicable to the later longer intake, which is a bit strange,......I might just cut off the `lump' and fill it in,.....that is my pondry for the morning,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot

Hiya Folks,.....me again,......well I have decided to build another USAAF Spit which had the longer carb intake,....it appears on page 74 of the Osprey Aces 80- American Spitfire Aces of WW2 and is WZ-GJ of the 309th FS, named Eleanor flown by the CO Major Garth Jared. The photo shows it to be a grey and green aircraft but the colour artwork in the Kagero Spitfire Mk.IX depicts it as a desert coloured machine and I`m using the decals from this book combined with some national markings from a Hasegawa P-40N that I am also building ,.... it will be in the grey and green scheme.

Here is some progress;

construction of the cockpit,.....the right side still shows the wash that was applied,....this was wiped away prior to the halves being joined;

DSCF8530_zpsp4irzd1j.jpg

DSCF8537_zps7a3z6wlt.jpg

DSCF8539_zpsi1k5ep4d.jpg

And the wings;

DSCF8533_zpsoj8vjhgj.jpg

DSCF8540_zpsrr5roqsl.jpg

and the fuselage halves have been joined ready to fit the wings;

DSCF8542_zpsdcycutef.jpg

and here it is all together, ready to be set aside to dry,....sorry for the quality of the pic but the light was fading;

DSCF8546_zpsw35m0kxs.jpg

Cheers for now,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 8

Cheers lads,..... well I`ve now sanded the model ready for painting but Photobucket is playing up so I cannot post the photos,.....maybe later and in the meantime I`ll be adding the MSG underside colour using suitably thinned Tamiya acrylic.

Cheers

Tony.

Edit,.....photobucket is now playing ball;

DSCF8592_zpsgtejxkmr.jpg

DSCF8593_zpspastywze.jpg

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 6

Sorry I'm late Tony :blush: - it's not often I see a WIP of yours and having seen the speed at which you are building this one I think I now understand the secret of your prolific output of completed kits!

I've a couple of these Eduard Mk.IXs in the stash so I too would appreciate any pointers... :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Looks like you got a flawless wing to fuselage joint, well done Tony. I've read that can be a sticking point with the new kit.

We`ll see after the paint goes on eh,.......the kit is beautiful but it does take some sanding to get the seams sorted, especially the wing roots and the top of the engine and I might get one of the resin upper engine panels for a future build.

Tell us your secrets, Tony!

Secret,...... just elbow grease mate,.....lots of it!!! I even took a metal needle file to it and then polished it back again.

Sorry I'm late Tony :blush: - it's not often I see a WIP of yours and having seen the speed at which you are building this one I think I now understand the secret of your prolific output of completed kits!

I've a couple of these Eduard Mk.IXs in the stash so I too would appreciate any pointers... :D

Cheers,

Stew

Hiya Stew.....thanks for your usual kind comments mate,..... While I have the interior gray green paint out I may as well paint a few models rather than just one and I find it easier to build a batch of models in one go,.......I`d be bored building one at a time!! Keeps the elves busy!

As I said above, the upper engine nacelle can be a problem and by the time it is sanded smooth all of the detail is removed so a resin part may be the way to go,......as for the rest,.....the parts are beautiful but the joints can be a problem,.....next time I may sand the joints smooth like a vacuform to see if this makes them easier to join?

Thanks for your comments folks,....painting starts today and I`m going for `Eleanor', WZ-GJ flown by Maj. Garth Jared CO of the 309th FS, 31st FG, USAAF. Most colour side view artwork depicts it wearing a desert finish but a photo in Osprey`s American Spitfire Aces shows it to actually wear the grey/green Day Fighter Scheme,....so MSG undersides will be applied first followed by Ocean Grey and a Dark Green disruptive pattern on top. I`ll be using the decals from the Kagero book plus national markings from a P-40N sheet which have the white bars without a red or blue outline, as seen here on the bookcover,....wearing the wrong scheme;

big_TC15_spitfire_7-normal.jpg?lm=139388

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3

Hiya Folks,

Well the painting is coming along well,......the first coat of Dark Green disruptive patern was applied last night;

DSCF8661_zpsmg0dntdg.jpg

I had a part built Eduard Spit which I have been finishing off alongside this one and it is currently receiving its camouflage too,....it will represent an RAF Spit from 1435 Sqn in Italy, using an old set of ED Models decals.

Cheers for now,

Tony

PS,....just realised that I forgot to paint the fin,....dohh,....that is late night modelling for you eh!

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3

Just for interest,....here is a photo of the Spit that I`m building,.....doesn`t look like the desert scheme that everybody seems to portray and more like grey/green;

IMG_0090_zpsl9fcqkd6.jpg

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 5

Cheers fellas,.......a quick update.......painting is almost done and I`ve removed the masking tape. A coat of gloss varnish next then ready for the decals, the stars and bars are coming from a Hasegawa P-40N sheet, the rest from the Kagero book decals. As I said earlier,......this aircraft is often depicted by artists as a desert schemed Spit but the photo reveals that it is more likely to be wearing the Day Fighter Scheme ;

DSCF8714_zpsxm3k4g7y.jpg

I had a part built Eduard Spit but as I`d already assembled the fuselage it was too late to include it in the GB,......I just thought that I`d share it here as I`m building it alongside the Yank Spit,.....it will be finished in 1435 Sqn markings;

DSCF8716_zpsab9z3nqg.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3

Hiya Folks,

Well I got the decals on my pair of Eduard 72nd scale Spits,.....although quite a few bits fell off in the process!!

Here is the USAAF one,......using Hasegawa P-40N national markings and the codes etc from the Kagero book;

DSCF8834_zpsypzgoare.jpg

And here is the 1435 Sqn one using Almark decals,.....part way through decalling;

DSCF8836_zps1xbj1qgs.jpg

Unfortunately the white codes were almost translucent as seen here,.....but I had another sheet and used the codes from this one too on top and they look much better now. The instructions say to paint the spinner black and it does look very dark,.....and maybe slightly darker than the red of the roundel centre/forward section of fin flash in the reference photo seen further up this page,...... but do I paint it red or black,....my heart says red but the photo sort of says black,......I`ll probably opt for red? I might repaint the dragon(?) brown too? 

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 6

Looking great Tony :)

It's interesting that the Hasegawa 'Stars n' Bars' turned out OK.  Hasegawa decal whites always look pretty yellow on the sheet (as yours did), but these seem fine when on your model.  Is there a secret?!

Cliff