Spitfire MK XII - Airfix 1/48

Hi all

Spit_MKXII_006a.jpg

Spitfire MK XII - Airfix 1/48

For the first time in more than 25 years I've built an 1/48th scale model.

This was a Kris-Kringle present and I decided to build it despite not being my preferred scale.

So here we go! This new tooling Airfix kit is really very nicely done, excellent details and fine and crisp engraved panel lines. Also the fit is just perfect and I haven't use putty at all.

The decals has two options and I decided to do one flown by South Australian RAAF Flight Lieutnant Donald Smith. Don Smith was the Squadron Leader and it was his personal aircraft.

References:

Smith.gif

41-squadron-spitfires-595x382.jpg

Aircraft_of_the_Royal_Air_Force%252C_193

41sqdn-spit12.jpg

aircraft_of_the_royal_air_force-_1939-19

The model:

Spit_MKXII_001.jpg

Spit_MKXII_002.jpg

Spit_MKXII_003.jpg

Spit_MKXII_005.jpg

Spit_MKXII_006.jpg

Spit_MKXII_007.jpg

Spit_MKXII_008.jpg

Spit_MKXII_009.jpg

Spit_MKXII_010.jpg

Spit_MKXII_011.jpg

Spit_MKXII_012.jpg

Until next time! Cheers

• Like 30

This is a wonderful build. Weathering is just right - not too stark, but not invisibe either. I love it.

There is one very minor correction that you may want to make—Spitfire Mk.XII did not have wing tip lights. The wing tip covers were just wooden pieces that covered the exposed rib after removal of standard oval wing tips. Other clipped wing Spitfire marks did have wing tip lights, but not Mk.XII. The profile on the top of your post also has this error.

It should not be too difficult to repaint the wing tips if you can be bothered to do this.

• Like 1

1:48????

Cheating!!!!!!! :analintruder::analintruder::analintruder::analintruder:

Just kidding Paulo....... absolutely superb build.

I actually have a few 1:48's in the stash but like you prefer the gentleman's scale :thumbsup:

I am saving a 1:48 Eduard Lysander though for when I feel I'm ready for it.

How did you find building the 1:48 scale for a change?

The finish looks to be your high standard Tamiya acrylics with detailed weathering.....just perfect.

Love the fact you have a South Australian connection on the version. I will do some follow up research on the Donald Smith.

Looks like I'll have to get to SAPMA now to see this one in the flesh!

Great job....supreendente!!!!

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

This is a wonderful build. Weathering is just right - not too stark, but not invisibe either. I love it.

There is one very minor correction that you may want to make—Spitfire Mk.XII did not have wing tip lights. The wing tip covers were just wooden pieces that covered the exposed rib after removal of standard oval wing tips. Other clipped wing Spitfire marks did have wing tip lights, but not Mk.XII. The profile on the top of your post also has this error.

It should not be too difficult to repaint the wing tips if you can be bothered to do this.

Thanks for the tip mate. I'll fix it.

1:48????

Cheating!!!!!!! :analintruder::analintruder::analintruder::analintruder:

Just kidding Paulo....... absolutely superb build.

I actually have a few 1:48's in the stash but like you prefer the gentleman's scale :thumbsup:

I am saving a 1:48 Eduard Lysander though for when I feel I'm ready for it.

How did you find building the 1:48 scale for a change?

The finish looks to be your high standard Tamiya acrylics with detailed weathering.....just perfect.

Love the fact you have a South Australian connection on the version. I will do some follow up research on the Donald Smith.

Looks like I'll have to get to SAPMA now to see this one in the flesh!

Great job....supreendente!!!!

Cheers

Bruce

I know! 1/48 is so much easier to work, it's a shame I don't have space in my "hangar" to keep birds this big.

I'm so glad I have convinced you to go to the SAPMA meeting this week.

BTW! Donald Smith was born in Victor Harbor SA.

Cheers.

Paulo

Edited by ArmouredSprue