1/72 - Blackburn B-48 Firecrest resin kit by Akatombo Works - released

Homebee

It looks a bit to me like the sort of low key operation that does what they enjoy doing. I for one would love a Firecest & this is probably the only way to get one. The Venom, Canberra B2 etc belong on the stock lists of main stream manufacturers imho.

Steve.

• Like 8

I don't have a problem with a Firecrest and might buy one, or at least I would if the stash wasn't so ginormous already. Goes to show that these types that flew but failed to see operational service have a following, what with an MB5 on the way as well. I would, however, really like to see a Firebrand TFV kit that is easily available. Despite its tortuous development (why it wasn't cancelled is anyone's guess) it did at least go to sea operationally - briefly!

• Like 2

I don't have a problem with a Firecrest and might buy one, or at least I would if the stash wasn't so ginormous already. Goes to show that these types that flew but failed to see operational service have a following, what with an MB5 on the way as well. I would, however, really like to see a Firebrand TFV kit that is easily available. Despite its tortuous development (why it wasn't cancelled is anyone's guess) it did at least go to sea operationally - briefly!

Magna 0472, how many do you require?. Sorry to be boring. Chris

Why bother? An obscure non-operational FAA type and still no 1/72 Venom, Canberra B2 and so on. Who does their market research?

Richard in NZ

I personally love seeing these rarer aircraft kitted. Sure I would love a 1/72 Canberra but would prefer that in plastic - but like Steve says leave the resin companies to do the rarer types.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 2

Magna Models 2372 still on the shelf at Hannants,

And a thoroughly mediocre kit. Akatombo > Magna.

Magna 0472, how many do you require?. Sorry to be boring. Chris

Again though... thoroughly mediocre. You'd be much better served by either the AKI or CMR resin kits.

http://www.hyperscale.com/2007/reviews/kits/aki003reviewbg_1.htm

http://www.hyperscale.com/2013/reviews/kits/cmr234reviewmd_1.htm

You try getting hold of an AKI Firebrand these days. It's easier finding chicken lips.

And the Magna Firecrest is a "mediocre" kit? Is it really? What are you judging it against, bearing in mind no one has ever released one bar Magna? I've seen some superb examples on display over the years since it came out and have a couple salted away in the stash.

Yes, it was one of Martin's earlier efforts and quite reasonable by the resin kit standards of the time it was released - mid/late 90s, perhaps, as I got mine in late '99 - and resin kit standards have risen dramatically in the intervening years. So perhaps it does look a bit clunky compared to a CMR kit from 2015, but compare the CMR 90s tool Firebrand with their recent one and you'll see a similar difference.

Mediocre kit my bottom! There's no such thing, just insufficient modelling skill.

Edited by The wooksta V2.0
  • Like 5

You try getting hold of an AKI Firebrand these days. It's easier finding chicken lips.

And the Magna Firecrest is a "mediocre" kit? Is it really? What are you judging it against, bearing in mind no one has ever released one bar Magna? I've seen some superb examples on display over the years since it came out and have a couple salted away in the stash.

Mediocre kit my bottom! There's no such thing, just insufficient modelling skill.

Probably judging it against other kits - it doesn't have be judged the same type as to quality of the kit . If a kit comes out of something that has never been kitted before and it's got basic cockpit detail, very basic wheel well detail etc you can still class it as a mediocre kit.

Whether the kit is poor, mediocre or high quality has nothing to do with modelling skill, how good the finished model is about modelling skills.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

A word in defence of the Magna kit. This mediocre modeller made a half decent job of one about 4 years back so it must be a reasonable kit QED. It's packed away currently but I was quite pleased with the result. A VERY solid model resulted. My first full resin kit at the time. Panel lines were a bit vague here and there but a bit of scraping soon sorts it out.

Nige B

• Like 3

5 hours ago, viscount806x said:

A word in defence of the Magna kit. This mediocre modeller made a half decent job of one about 4 years back so it must be a reasonable kit QED. It's packed away currently but I was quite pleased with the result. A VERY solid model resulted. My first full resin kit at the time. Panel lines were a bit vague here and there but a bit of scraping soon sorts it out.

Nige B

What did you do for its decals?

7 hours ago, Madoc said:

What did you do for its decals?

Generic codes and roundels from my stalwart Modeldecal stocks, all still available in their Xtradecal range from Hannants. There were never any in service squadron embellishments to worry about.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, viscount806x said:

Generic codes and roundels from my stalwart Modeldecal stocks, all still available in their Xtradecal range from Hannants. There were never any in service squadron embellishments to worry about.

Thanks!  I've found that to be a major pain with no few "esoteric" kits.  They'll do a fine job of rendering the physical shape of some unique subject but then leave it to the modeler to come up with all the decaling.  Yes, for non-operational types that simplifies things.  But for ones which received at least some markings, it can be annoying.  Having to hand piece together a serial number just adds a level of finickyness.  Especially if it's some unique font that was used.  If it's of a prototype that had some unique logo - manufacturer's or its ilk - then that can be off putting.  I particularly find this so with quite a few French subjects as they painted serial numbers and manufacturer's names across the tricolor on the plane's rudders.

So, having even just a basic set up of decals for the particular subject is much appreciated.

On 28/12/2016 at 7:06 PM, Madoc said:

Thanks!  I've found that to be a major pain with no few "esoteric" kits.  They'll do a fine job of rendering the physical shape of some unique subject but then leave it to the modeler to come up with all the decaling.  Yes, for non-operational types that simplifies things.  But for ones which received at least some markings, it can be annoying.  Having to hand piece together a serial number just adds a level of finickyness.  Especially if it's some unique font that was used.  If it's of a prototype that had some unique logo - manufacturer's or its ilk - then that can be off putting.  I particularly find this so with quite a few French subjects as they painted serial numbers and manufacturer's names across the tricolor on the plane's rudders.

So, having even just a basic set up of decals for the particular subject is much appreciated.

On 28/12/2016 at 7:06 PM, Madoc said:

Hi Madoc,

I know where you are coming from regarding small serials. I don't go smaller that 1/72 but with Modeldecal/Xtradecal serials there is a very do-able technique which actually works well and is far far less of a pain than you would think.

Just remove each serial number/letter on a cutting mat or with nail scissors as close to the digit as possible until you have the serial sequence you want on the table. This is where the carpet monster comes to visit normally! Apply the first number or letter depending which end you are starting. When it's positioned, blot it down (after using your favourite softener or setter solution (on the decal not your hair obviously). When it is firmly stuck down, do the next one. You will find that you can get the adjacent digit carrier film remnant overlapped onto the last one down without shifting it if you are careful not to wet the last one down too much getting the next down. So on and so forth. I have found that alignment of the number/letter sequence is surprisingly much more tolerant of slight errors than you would imagine. Putting the decals down onto a shiny paint or varnish coat is an easing factor too of course.

By the way, the Firecrest  prototype 'P' s came from a Fantasy Printshop sheet but others are available.

Cheers, Nige B

• Like 1

On 30/12/2016 at 6:30 PM, Madoc said:

Nige,

Thanks for the tips.  Yes, I've picked up a couple of "Circled P" sheets as well.  Handy things, those...

I'll give that hand assembly technique a try!

Watch out if they are Fantasy Printshop ones because they are very thin, so much so that I have had their decals break up completely before now. I always give them a further varnish coat whilst still on the sheet. Makes them a bit thick and leathery sometimes but at least ones money isn't directly down the plughole!

1 minute ago, viscount806x said:

Watch out if they are Fantasy Printshop ones because they are very thin, so much so that I have had their decals break up completely before now. I always give them a further varnish coat whilst still on the sheet. Makes them a bit thick and leathery sometimes but at least ones money isn't directly down the plughole!

Good advice!