Roden 1/72 ground vehicles news -Vauxhall D-type Staff Ambulance released

Botan

Somebody found a very interesting add in some magazine

Link to the source of original news

Hello,
This ad from Roden appears in this month's MMI magazine. Has anyone heard where the howitzer model comes from? At first I thought it was the 155mm Ace kit that came out not too long ago but that's a different gun. Strelets makes an 8" in hard plastic I think but it looks different from the one in this drawing.
Thanks for any help.
Jeff

roden_zpstbed7rt7.jpg

By the way, artwork of Vauxhall is simply stunning, isn't it?

Edited by Botan

Exactly that Space Ranger, though usually in England pronounced without the "h" as in Vox 'all.

Thanks for the clarification. I had sorta thought the "aux" might be silent or French-like, which would make "Vauxhall" sound something like "vole," and that would be weird. But then us Texans have a unique way of manglin' the Kang's Anglish.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

735 Vauxhall D-Type have been released: LINK

735.jpg

The Vauxhall Motors company was founded by Alexander Wilson in 1857, and specialized in the development of equipment for ships. However with the advent of the automobile it became interested in this new direction in engineering and in 1903 it constructed its first example of a four-wheel vehicle. Until 1910 its principal activity was the marketing of sports cars; but the outbreak of war in 1914 radically changed the industrial profile of many firms, including Vauxhall.
Even before the war Vauxhall had developed the C2 type, which had excellent characteristics for its time and received its own informal name, the 'Prince Henry'. For military needs the design was slightly simplified, and a less powerful engine was installed. The updated design was named the D-Type. From 1912 to 1922, more than 1,500 cars of this type were built. They were widely used as staff cars on every battlefield - on the Western Front, in East Africa, Palestine and even on the Russian Front. One of these cars was in the personal garage of the King of Great Britain, George the Fifth, and he made an inspection trip to troops on the Western Front in this car immediately after signing the Armistice in November, 1918.
This car became something of a legend in Great Britain. The leading newspaper of that time, the 'Morning Post', in its military review noted that the Vauxhall was the most acceptable car design for the headquarters requirements of his Majesty's armed forces.

735_dec.gif

1. Vauxhall D-Type, Western Front, unknown unit, 1917. Restored car is exhibited nowadays.
  2. Vauxhall D-Type, Western Front, unknown unit, 1917.
  3. Vauxhall D-Type, personal car of His Majesty King George V, Western Front, France, November 1918.

Plus some rumours from Landships forum

ROD-738 1/72 Vauxhall D-Type Army Staff Ambulance
ROD-740 1/72 WWI FWD Model B 3-Ton Army Truck w/8-inch Howitzer MkVI
Edited by Botan

Thanks Branky for your topic here

February

713 - FWD Model B 3 ton & BL 8-inch howitzer Mk.VI

March

717 - Vauxhall D-type Red cross

May

716 - BL 8-inch howitzer Mk.VI

Not a lot, only a BL 8-inch howitzer Mk.VI is a new tool, but Great War isn't covered very well, so its something. I'm going to buy a set with FWD and howitzer.

17 hours ago, 12by12 said:

Now, I am not an artillery expert, but it seems to me that the 8" How only needs new wheels and maybe a barrel to be a 7.2" Howitzer good for all of WW2. Oh, and figures of Gunners Milligan and Secombe.

Perhaps not Gunner Secombe as he served on 25pdrs ("5 mile snipers, they called us!").  Mind you he did get close to a 7.2" (or vice versa) once when one in a neighbouring battery bounced out of it's gun-pit and landed near Secombe's tent!.  ("They're throwing guns at us now!").  Shortly after, a soldier looking into their tent and said "Anybody seen a gun?"  That was apparently Gunner Milligan.  Harry Secombe told the story on the Michael Parkinson show many years ago.  Great bloke.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2016 at 4:20 PM, Space Ranger said:

This unknowledgable colonial wants to know: How does one pronounce "Vauxhall"? To rhyme with "box ball" or is it something else entirely different? I've always wondered.

With the way things are going, probably 'Peugeot'.

On 9/1/2016 at 5:34 PM, Space Ranger said:

Thanks for the clarification. I had sorta thought the "aux" might be silent or French-like, which would make "Vauxhall" sound something like "vole," and that would be weird. But then us Texans have a unique way of manglin' the Kang's Anglish.

We really do need to help each other with this stuff - I'd no idea, for instance, that I was mispronoucing my second fav US car, the Camaro, for all these years as "Kam-arrow"... but I believe (and I hope you will confirm this Space Ranger), that it is actually "Kam-aero".
Heaven help us when we Anglophones try to have a stab at French pronunciations!:tumble:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Botan said:

Thanks Branky for your topic here

February

713 - FWD Model B 3 ton & BL 8-inch howitzer Mk.VI

March

717 - Vauxhall D-type Red cross

May

716 - BL 8-inch howitzer Mk.VI

Not a lot, only a BL 8-inch howitzer Mk.VI is a new tool, but Great War isn't covered very well, so its something. I'm going to buy a set with FWD and howitzer.

The WW1 stuff is great news - Vauxhall especially. I suppose a Crossley some time is out of the question? Chassis used as ambulance and light truck as well as staff car, The Crossley Hearse was much admired by the pre- and post-war Co-Op funeral trade, though a model might be a bit inappropriate!
There was a series of Ford T models in 1/72 or '76 with an armoured car, ambulance and (I think) Lewis gun carrier - the inspiration for the African 'Technical' Toyota pick-up I think!
Didn't Stretlets do a 7.5" 'Long' artillery piece? should be similar to the 8" chassis I'd have thought - and yes, modern rims and tyres should be all that's needed for at least WW2 Western Desert and Far East - were they still in use by D-Day?

It would be good to see a review of all the WW1  tanks, trucks and artillery. I only do 1/72-76, but the whole range of scales would be interesting to see......

1 hour ago, alancmlaird said:

There was a series of Ford T models in 1/72 or '76 with an armoured car, ambulance and (I think) Lewis gun carrier - the inspiration for the African 'Technical' Toyota pick-up I think!

Polish RPM made those, I have their Ford Tfc armoured car with PE parts from Part. Actually, that armoured car was built just after end of Great War in Poland. RPM haven't released nothing new currently, so I'm a bit worried about them. 

On 01/09/2016 at 4:20 PM, Space Ranger said:

This unknowledgable colonial wants to know: How does one pronounce "Vauxhall"? To rhyme with "box ball" or is it something else entirely different? I've always wondered.

Depends which part of the country you come from but a more representative or equally valid pronunciation would be VORX HALL or VORXALL.

Edited by spaddad

2 hours ago, alancmlaird said:

We really do need to help each other with this stuff - I'd no idea, for instance, that I was mispronoucing my second fav US car, the Camaro, for all these years as "Kam-arrow"... but I believe (and I hope you will confirm this Space Ranger), that it is actually "Kam-aero".
Heaven help us when we Anglophones try to have a stab at French pronunciations!:tumble:

I pronounce it "ka-MAIR-oh" but "ka-MER-oh" is also heard. My Texas accent has been moderated quite a bit by years spent living in Connecticut and hours spent listening to Walter Cronkite. I also spent about 20 years in Oklahoma, but fortunately i was linguistically unaffected by that experience.

• Like 1

A new variant of Vauxhall D-type is released - Staff Ambulance (Roden 717) - Source

717.jpg

The first few months of fighting in 1914 gave rise to the picture we have now, that the war, only recently begun, would not just be long and exhausting - it would be a war of indefinite term and enormous losses, entailing in particular the loss of a large number of human lives. The assessment of losses at the end of 1914 was estimated in the tens of thousands, and the number of injured as a result of violent clashes on the battlefield was beyond all computation.
The British Army had been trying to bring its medical services to a much higher level to assist injured soldiers ever since the Crimean War of 1853-1856, but more than half a century later, not much had radically changed in this matter. The wounded were taken from the battlefield in wooden horse carts, which were in no way equipped to ease suffering. Losses during transportation of the wounded from the battlefield to hospitals were simply awful. The Director General Army Medical Services Sir Alfred Keogh called on the Secretary of State for War to give the army special ambulances, but this proposal was rejected because of its associated great cost. In October 1914 the leading, highly respected British newspaper The Times appealed to its readers to make financial contributions for the procurement of ambulances. It was a very effective appeal, and already by early 1915 the army had received 512 vehicles, which had typically been converted from conventional automobiles to primitive (by modern standards) ambulances. However, at that time this military aid was so significant and important that these simple medical vans became virtual 'guardian angels' for many who otherwise would have surely died from their injuries, never reaching a military hospital.
The ambulances of the time did not have a common standard and there were a wide variety of types. One of these vehicles, which had also been redesigned to suit medical needs, was the Vauxhall D-Type. The Vauxhall Motors Company was founded by Alexander Wilson in 1857 and it specialized in developing equipment for ships, but with the advent of the motor car the company became interested in this promising new industry and in 1903 produced its first example of a four-wheel car. By 1910 its main priority was the marketing of sports cars, but the beginning of the First World War radically changed the production profile of many companies, including Vauxhall. From 1912 to 1922 more than 1,500 cars of the Vauxhall D-type were produced. They were widely used as staff cars, but a certain number were refashioned for medical purposes and used on the Western Front side-by-side with many other ambulances which had to conduct perhaps the most important mission in the war - to save the army's most important assets, human lives.

735_ram.gif

Decals for one vehicle are provided: Vauxhall Type D Ambulance, B`591 from unknown medical unit , “Gentle Ida”, British Red Cross, 1915-1916

717_dec.gif

The Vauxhall French looking/sounding thing isn't far from the truth. Vauxhall ,sarf London came from King John's English/Norman Head of some part of his army ( I forget) His name was Faulks de/le something (spelling probably wrong,good this isn't it?) forgotten half of it!. I remember the story in an old Vauxhall book...Anyway he had a big house (I imagine) called Fawkes Hall/Fox Hall , now South London. That got changed sometime over the years to Vauxhall.The Vauxhall Griffin logo is on Faulks de ??????'s coat of Arms.

Vauxhall Cars started off as Vauxhall Iron Works,Wandsworth/Lambeth ish area turn of the century ,Saw this on a TV prog recently so I haven't forgotten half of it ! Taken over by General Motors in the 1920s and moved to Luton. Which I think was Fawkes old Manor.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...