The Duel GB - good for two too

vppelt68

This is an excellent idea, so much to choose from.

That said, could the reason for this not making it be that you are required to build two models? I haven't worked out the statistics but I think it's a reasonable percentage for those who start but do not finish the one model (I generally don't even start!!!).

Perhaps this could include a "buddy build" within the GB where two people join forces, one to do one of the models, the duellist from the other.

E.g.: Someone posts that they will build a Hurricane Mk.I and I'd duel by building a Me-109 or He-111.

Just a thought, it may bring in those votes for those worried about how many they have to build etc.

Edited by SimonT
Spelling
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SimonT said:

This is an excellent idea, so much to choose from.

That said, could the reason for this not making it be that you are required to build two models? I haven't worked out the statistics but I think it's a reasonable percentage for those who start but do not finish the one model (I generally don't even start!!!).

Perhaps this could include a "buddy build" within the GB where two people join forces, one to do one of the models, the duellist from the other.

E.g.: Someone posts that they will build a Hurricane Mk.I and I'd duel by building a Me-109 or He-111.

Just a thought, it may bring in those votes for those worried about how many they have to build etc.

This sounds like an excellent idea to me.

Gets around the possible problem that someone who likes one side of the duel has no interest in the opposition and therefore no inclination to build one of them. I think it's too late for this year but well worth proposing for next year.

Craig.

• 6 months later...

Thanks for your interest, Glynn! If we're bound for another round of voting later this year, I'm proposing an update to the rules per Craig EDIT: sorry, should be Simon! a few posts up - a buddy build option for two Britmodellers joining for this one. Sounds very good, thanks guys!

V-P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

I'm proposing an update to the rules per Craig a few posts up - a buddy build option for two Britmodellers joining for this one.

That's outrageous!  That has never ever been done before.

I like it! :thumbsup: 

Next, vote for this next November! I won't update the signing list because the critical mass of 30 is already reached and we're "in".

Anyone willing to further improve the original idea is welcomed :thumbsup:

The rules, as they stand today are as in the opening post, but:

1) you can do your Duel solo, or

2) split the fun with your BM Buddy and do an avantgarde buddy build

3) I think I don't need to say more, except

4) VOTE :bounce:

V-P

• Like 1

For some reason I've been missing this, missing I say, not avoiding. ;) Must have been a lack of the right key words, now if you'd called it an "Adversary Pairs" GB proposal, I'd have leapt at it & I'd like to register my interest now. I can think of several "Adversary Pairs" among my stock.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
speeling
  • Like 1

V-P; early on [September '16] you said no 'miniatures' but I do not see why not.

Warhammer figures come mainly in plastic and many parts which have to be assembled and painted

What is different to building a few Warhammer Orcs and painting them from building some Tamiya Afrika Korps figures?

You might say fantasy vs real; but you allow Star Wars fighter space ships and probably the spaceship Enterprise vs a Klingon spaceship

Zvezda does a range of a few 1/72 figures to a box, 1/100th AFVs, 1/144 & 1/200 aeroplanes; I see these being built up and displayed as 'models' but they too are aimed at table top wargamers

Would you disallow the 1/72 figures by Revell, Italeri, Airfix et al? They don't need built [mostly] just painted. If someone wanted to do some Airfix 1/76 Romans fighting Airfix Ancient Britons are they disqualified?

I say let the Warmammer figures in too, as well as other table top war games figures which need built and painted up; they are all models

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

...now if you'd called it an "Adversary Pairs" GB proposal, I'd have leapt at it...

Yes. Ahurm. Just wondering...

Would it meet the admirably broad criteria if -very much IF- I were to propose a USAF or NSAWC DACT pairing? I'm thinking F-14 vs A-4, or F-5 vs ...something else?

(There's ALWAYS one, isn't there...!)

Edited by AngstROM
  • Like 2

Steve, I'm glad you found this now, and as I've said I actually preferred this to happen in 2018, not -17.

Duncan, I have absolutely nothing against miniatures, so if it's only up to me let's do them! I'm a part time wargamer myself, I just wasn't sure how the BM massive would take that.

AngstROM, if someone has proposed a postman and a dog as duel adversaries, I'm willing to believe your pair would be eligible too!

V-P

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Steve, I'm glad you found this now, and as I've said I actually preferred this to happen in 2018, not -17.

V-P

2018, any amount early enough for me at the current rate of builds & organisation. :( 

Steve.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

With the recent surge in interest in Armour STGB:s I couldn't help but philosophize (?) more with the Duel idea. Having an eligible pair to Duel themselves in Future GB:s, the M3/M4 Medium tank and the Panzer IV, and now some initial excitement for both Patton and T-55 STGB proposals, they both could offer us a chance to sneak more build options and builders in one slot if such pairs would be allowed to be combined in one Dual Type GB. Then of course, some that aim to build in both STGB:s would find the time too tight to do both. So let's go on as before, I just wanted to write something about it :oops: V-P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...