RCR 1/72 Breda 65

Hello All,

I have been building a Breda 65 from RCR, build thread here. This is a short run kit, with the usual mix of resin, PE, white metal and, yes, plastic, with instructions that show parts magically coming together to be glued in mid-air next to other parts. Oh, and decals that shatter on contact with water.

Actually, it wasn't that bad, although a certain amount of "fun" was had to make it all join up. Here we go:

RCR_Breda65_front_left.jpg
RCR_Breda65_rear.jpg
RCR_Breda65_rear_right.jpg
RCR_Breda65_front_right.jpg

RCR_Breda65_under.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Adrian
  • Like 52

Curious aircraft but great realisation!!!

Do you perhaps know what the 4 holes in the belly are made for ?

Thank you very much and congratulations for your unusual model!

• Like 1

Curious aircraft but great realisation!!!

Do you perhaps know what the 4 holes in the belly are made for ?

Thank you very much and congratulations for your unusual model!

Thanks Polo! I've always had a hankering to build one but I'm cured now! The four holes are for four bombs. If you look behind the seat in the cockpit there is a girder structure that I presume held the bombs in place. It's a strange design - I guess it would be very hard to carry eight smaller bombs or one bigger bomb instead.

You have made a superb job of that Adrian, nice work B)

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew! I'm used to old Airfix and Frog kits, where if they tell you part A fits onto part B, it generally does, even though you might have to add or change or fill a lot to get the result you want. This kit was beautifully detailed on the whole, but the parts kind of floated in mid air, so you have to do some engineering bodging to make it all fit together. So it was a bit of a different challenge and a nice change - on to an Airfix PE-2 next!

Regards,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 1

Hi Adrian,

well, this is the first RCR Breda 65 that I have seen built! IT LOOKS GOOD!!!!

I have had this kit for a decade or so and I started building it eons ago, only to chicken out at the complexity of the PE in and around the cockpit... One day I will jump in the deep end and see if I can float!

You sure did a wonderful job! Good news about the decals... all one needs on top of a fiddly build!

Congrats!!!

JR

• Like 1

That's a lovely job Adrian, especially as you were on the move when building it. Perhaps it'll inspire me to do mine. Been a while since I did an Italian aircraft

Cheers,

Matt

• Like 1

Hello All,

Just before packing up last night I took two snapshots of the model on top of my laptop lid with an iPhone6, with no setup in poor artificial light. The camera on a modern phone is so-o much better than my seven year old Canon SX110, which I thought was pretty good when I bought it. Anyway, here's two more shots that I think show the model much more clearly:

RCR_Breda65_phone1.jpg
RCR_Breda65_phone2.jpg
Thanks for looking,
Adrian
  • Like 14

• 7 months later...

Hi Adrian,

as this thread has been resuscitated unexpectedly, I might as well ask a question I forgot to ask last year!

Where did you get the wing machine guns from, as the ones in my kit are just plain metal tubing.

Cheers

JR

• Like 1

On 26/04/2017 at 12:27, jean said:

Where did you get the wing machine guns from, as the ones in my kit are just plain metal tubing.

Hi Jean,

The guns are simply two sizes of metal tubing wrapped in thin paper soaked in superglue to get the larger cooling jacket. I painted them silver and added the "holes" with a fine tip (0.5mm) marker pen. At any distance over a foot I can't tell the difference!

Regards, 

Adrian

• Like 2