Best Sea Hurricane in 1/48?

Spitfires Forever

New airfix for a mk1, but for a mkii have to look elsewhere

Second that, go for the current Airfix Mk1 boxing but there are a couple of amendments you will need to do such as the oil collector ring behind behind the spinner and the headrest (from memory).

Hi, Spitfire addict,

Immediately available, Hase is still the best. Their Hurri is better than the Italeri. I have never got hands on a specific Sea Hurri boxing, but I have built some Mk Ib using the MDC conversion.

Fernando

I would go for the Airfix kit, I don't know when they are bringing out the Sea Hurricane boxing, but like 85sqn says the oil ring and headrest are easy enough to scratch build and then you just need some decals or masks, if you don't want to wait. I fancy doing this top aircraft.

MXK48124.jpg

Edited by Tbolt

Second that, go for the current Airfix Mk1 boxing but there are a couple of amendments you will need to do such as the oil collector ring behind behind the spinner and the headrest (from memory).

While we are talking about such things, do you know if the oil ring was fitted on all Sea Hurricane Mk.I's or did the early ones not have it?

Hello gents,

Now that there several Sea Hurricanes out there, I was wondering which would be a good investment? The Italeri/Tamiya, Hasegawa, or should I wait for the new tool Airfix version? Any advice before I lay down some serious cash on one of these kits?

Cheers

The Italeri kit has many flaws, as detailed by me in the link posted by Brad.

do you want a Mk I or a Mk II?

The new tool Airfix Mk I has Sea Hurricane parts as alternates in every boxing. All you need are decals.

For a Mk II you will need a Hase kit, possibly you could use leftover Airfix parts to convert the Hase kit, I can eyeball this later. It may even be a way to deal with the infamous Hase underfuselage fabric 'step'

Hase Hurricanes are going to be easier to get in CA, either used or from mail order from Japan or Hong Kong.

Hi, Spitfire addict,

Immediately available, Hase is still the best. Their Hurri is better than the Italeri. I have never got hands on a specific Sea Hurri boxing, but I have built some Mk Ib using the MDC conversion.

Fernando

The Hase Sea Hurricane just has some resin conversion parts

I would go for the Airfix kit, I don't know when they are bringing out the Sea Hurricane boxing, but like 85sqn says the oil ring and headrest are easy enough to scratch build and then you just need some decals or masks, if you don't want to wait. I fancy doing this top aircraft.

MXK48124.jpg

the 46 Sq high demarcation scheme is cobblers BTW, all 46 Sq photos in Norway show TLS.

There is a thread on this here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234926644-46-sqn-hurricane-paint-norway-scheme/

which leads to

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/77454-48-hurricane-fabric-wings/

While we are talking about such things, do you know if the oil ring was fitted on all Sea Hurricane Mk.I's or did the early ones not have it?

The oil ring was a standard fit from late 1940 onwards, so I would say it should be on all Sea Hurrcanes, but refer to photos of your specific subject.

HTH

T

The Italeri kit has many flaws, as detailed by me in the link posted by Brad.

do you want a Mk I or a Mk II?

The new tool Airfix Mk I has Sea Hurricane parts as alternates in every boxing. All you need are decals.

For a Mk II you will need a Hase kit, possibly you could use leftover Airfix parts to convert the Hase kit, I can eyeball this later. It may even be a way to deal with the infamous Hase underfuselage fabric 'step'

Hase Hurricanes are going to be easier to get in CA, either used or from mail order from Japan or Hong Kong.

The Hase Sea Hurricane just has some resin conversion parts

the 46 Sq high demarcation scheme is cobblers BTW, all 46 Sq photos in Norway show TLS.

There is a thread on this here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234926644-46-sqn-hurricane-paint-norway-scheme/

which leads to

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/77454-48-hurricane-fabric-wings/

The oil ring was a standard fit from late 1940 onwards, so I would say it should be on all Sea Hurrcanes, but refer to photos of your specific subject.

HTH

T

Thanks Troy, I guess I'll have to go with the standard Sea Hurricane scheme then.

There were a few early Sea Hurricanes in 880 Sq with the high demarcation. By then, it should have been Sky not Sky Grey.

IIRC, some of the 800 Sq Sea Hurricanes on Pedestal lacked the oil cooler ring. It is usually said to have been required because of oil leaks from the Rotol prop, but with the DH prop they possibly didn't need it. However, as they would have had the Constant Speed DH unit by then perhaps it leaked too.

There were a few early Sea Hurricanes in 880 Sq with the high demarcation. By then, it should have been Sky not Sky Grey.

IIRC, some of the 800 Sq Sea Hurricanes on Pedestal lacked the oil cooler ring. It is usually said to have been required because of oil leaks from the Rotol prop, but with the DH prop they possibly didn't need it. However, as they would have had the Constant Speed DH unit by then perhaps it leaked too.

Thanks Graham, I can't find any decals or masks at the moment for a high demarcation one, but if I can find pictures of an airframe with only standard markings, then it obviously won't be a problem.

Hi guys, the Mk I would be my choice but I don't fancy doing the surgery for the tail hook insert. The directions for placement on the MDC tail hook insert are sketchy at best. I was hoping for the more simpler option. By the way, Aeromaster makes the decals for the high demarcation early MkI. I was hoping to make mine in the markings of Mike Crosley prior to the sinking of the HMS Eagle. Once again, if you have not read "They gave me a Seafire" please do find it because there is a wealth of information in that book, plus it is a delight to read, but I digress.If the new Airfix Hurricane already has the bits I got the decals. Thanks again for the reply my friends. Oh yes, are the wing armourment panels correct on the Airfix model Tony? I know Hasegawa had a problem with that aspect of the design, especially. With the Mk I ID. Regardless, the Hasegawa kits always fetch a good price on Ebay. I know that the Hurricane is one of your favorite aircraft, so your input is much appreciated, as well as from the others.

Cheers

Hi guys, the Mk I would be my choice but I don't fancy doing the surgery for the tail hook insert. The directions for placement on the MDC tail hook insert are sketchy at best. I was hoping for the more simpler option. By the way, Aeromaster makes the decals for the high demarcation early MkI. I was hoping to make mine in the markings of Mike Crosley prior to the sinking of the HMS Eagle. Once again, if you have not read "They gave me a Seafire" please do find it because there is a wealth of information in that book, plus it is a delight to read, but I digress.If the new Airfix Hurricane already has the bits I got the decals. Thanks again for the reply my friends. Oh yes, are the wing armourment panels correct on the Airfix model Tony? I know Hasegawa had a problem with that aspect of the design, especially. With the Mk I ID. Regardless, the Hasegawa kits always fetch a good price on Ebay. I know that the Hurricane is one of your favorite aircraft, so your input is much appreciated, as well as from the others.

Cheers

The MDC should be obvious, it replaces the entire lower fuselage.

the Mk I Airfix wing is fine. All the Sea Hurricane parts are in the box.

Decals? Aeromaster were not known as Errormaster for nothing, always worth checking the details of their offerings carefully.

Hasegawa tooled up 2 wings, a B wing, with inserts and insructions to sand off the outer gun bay panels for a Mk I, and C wing, which is fine, but is used in their IID and IV , and needs some panels replacing.

One point, the Hasegawa wing tip is too bulbous,

discussed here (though I get warnings about ARC) in a Ju-88 thread

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=287183

Robertson AKA Gaston Marty says the whole wing is to thick, he wrong about that, but the 'problem' is the tip, which is wrong...which he has taken to mean the whole wing.

Right, off an image hunt, the link takes you to a superb head on shot.

the wing shape and thickness is fine, the tip light is too deep, because Hase have made the top side of the tip a curve, it's actually flat.
It's a minor, but useful point, but, really, not difficult to correct.
Anyone with a Hase Hurricane, hold the wing up to match the linked pic and decide for yourself. it also shows the correct triangular shape of the tip light.

HTH

Not all early Sea Hurricanes were originally fitted with the oil ring so as Troy has stated, find a photo of your chosen subject and be guided by that. Also, primarily for later Sea Hurricanes, check to see if an additional radio antenna is fitted beneath the wing or alternatively beneath the fuselage immediately aft of the radiator fairing.

HTH

Cheers

Dave

Not all early Sea Hurricanes were originally fitted with the oil ring so as Troy has stated, find a photo of your chosen subject and be guided by that. Also, primarily for later Sea Hurricanes, check to see if an additional radio antenna is fitted beneath the wing or alternatively beneath the fuselage immediately aft of the radiator fairing.

HTH

Cheers

Dave

good point from Dave

visible clearly on NF722, the lower plane here

PS - what the aerial for Dave?

PPS - is that also the underwing aerial in the roundel

October_4th_1944_Sea_Hurricane_NF722_NF7

this thread compiles most of the photos Ive seen floating about (pardon the pun) of Sea Hurricanes II's in one place

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235000058-sea-hurricane-iic/

cheers

T

Possibly to throw aiming off if being attacked, I think this tactic had been used in WWI too on some aircraft??

Hi, woody37,

I think he refers to different places comparing both aircraft. The roundel on the other wing of each one cannot be seen, and only the Polish AF has placed the wing insignia asymmetrically for such a purpose (USAAC preferred placing the insignia on only one wing -to this day). Never a RAF/RN aircraft had its roundels asymmetrically placed, TMBK. Even misplaced roundels are rare.

Fernando