1/32 Bf 109 - Hasegawa

Hi,

Debating what to do, looking for input/advice on Hasegawa 1/32 109 cockpit.

The clear inspection portion of the fuel line, have painted it white, looks more silver in photo. Not super pleased with how the white looks. Apparently the Revell 1/32 kit actually has a clear line that you paint.

Should I cut out the white part, use a portion of pen refill or something like that? Searched the forums but have not found a thread regarding this issue.

Or, could leave as is, plan on having pilot figure sitting in plane.

This will be first attempt at German airplane camo; a presentable final paint scheme would be a big win. That being said, certainly would like cockpit to look as good as possible.

109%20cockpit_zpsv1hsqetg.jpeg

Thoughts?

Regards,

Robert

looks nice so far! I was alo going to suggest clear sprue, or you could use highlights and shades to give the illusion of it being transparent rather than actually being it. Some painting techniques used mostely by tabletop wargame miniature painters might be inspirational, should you go that route.

at least one person used clear sprue:

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/bf109g632briangeiger_1.htm

• Like 1

Thank you lunar. Haven't included pics of the other cockpit parts I've painted, but it's taken hours already. Will continue to refine, took a break for a couple days and feel re-energized.

The clear sprue idea is brilliant. Will cut a small piece, hopefully can fit in adequately.

Great build on the link you attached and the photography is very cool.

Not familiar with the painting technique you have mentioned. Makes me curious, will look it up.

All the best,

R.

I quickly googled a tutorial for a genmstone, to illustrate what i'm talking about. Wargame miniaturs tend to be a bit more exagurated and perhaps commic book like, as opposed to the "realism" we "serious" modelers tend to try and represent, but often a lot of the techniques used in painting wargaming miniatures can be handy to know about. especially for tricky little things like this... the idea for example of applying aritficial shadows and highlights can be really effective in some occasions, especially interiors, wich lets face it, often don't stand out as much as we'd like and a lot of detail can't be seen. so sometimes a little exaguration can make details really pop. it all depends on what you're going for and what scale you're working in, so in the end it's personal preference.

and sometimes it's just a matter of trying a few things and see what works for you...

happy modeling!

• Like 1

Back at it this evening for a couple hours. Did manage to stretch clear sprue to the appropriate diameter. However, an interesting development. Scraped the existing white paint off and had began some basic weathering with pencil. Noticed the area I had scraped clear of the white paint, once covered with the pencil, almost looked like clear reflecting light with grey behind. Quite similar to an actual photo in the Squadron book on building 109s. So, I've left it for the moment and it doesn't look too bad. The process of either cutting out or filing down the existing part weighed in this decision. Will continue to weather the interior of the cockpit and see how the process is looking. Stumbling on this pencil process sounds similar to what Lunar has discussed regarding shading with paint.

Appreciate the tips, thank you.

R.

• 2 weeks later...

Weather and life has kept progress at a slow pace. For many of you this certainly isn't ground breaking but several firsts for me: size/amount of detailing, painting instruments vs using decal, wash on interior or cockpit, bit of dry brushing and pencil highlights, clear for instrument "glass"

Have decided against seat belts and rudder foot pedal straps as pilot will eventually be painted and installed.

Thinking interior detail wrapped up as would like to move on to build and camo paint.

Admiring the Eduard engine set for the 109, love engines. Revell kit down the road perhaps with engine and cockpit kit.........

No decal! Began attempting to replicate original colours around gauges, buttons, then, became entranced with adding some red, yellow, white. Ah well, it is an art form.

IMG_1963_zps90wfal2o.jpg

Before wash

IMG_1964_zpsdyjd17ha.jpg

After

IMG_1969_zpsrjw59g6d.jpg

Pilot: not finished

IMG_1965_zpsthg7444c.jpg

Couple more before and after

IMG_1962_zps9rfe5hcd.jpg

IMG_1972_zpsdv8kcvmt.jpg

IMG_1961_zps4ju6setu.jpg

IMG_1966_zpshqfznpa5.jpg

Hopefully with practice and patience will continue to improve.

Thanks for the tips and looking.

R.

• 4 months later...

Not pleased with photo quality/exposure. Will attempt again with Lumix and different lighting.

Progress stalled just before Christmas when I butchered some important (to me) decals. Ordered more, the wrong ones arrived, awaiting correct ones.

After decades off, really enjoying building again. Trying to add more technique and skill to each build. Frankly not being very artistic don't believe I will ever achieve the grandeur as many of the projects posted on Britmodeller, yet, for me the artistic outlet is a real joy.

Many firsts for me on this project and relatively happy with the outcome so far. Once the decals arrive will apply them, clear coat, attach the e-z line and begin the weathering process. Apprehensive about weathering as this is still new to me and have only applied to a couple armour builds.

IMG_1985_zpsxpvdphrz.jpg

Relatively happy with the camo. Used the putty under paper mask technique to soften the camo lines. Masked canopy, windshield and painted inside and out, slow painstaking task first time. Photo doesn't show it very well, but the result wasn't too bad. Lots of other firsts for me on this build, old school to many of you no doubt.

IMG_1990_zpsvveyfvl4.jpg

Another shot of the camo. Decals....lots of them. Hard to work with, thinking because of the age or perhaps Hasegawa in general? Not enough experience to know.

IMG_1994_zpsrg2he4ek.jpg

Poor exposure really doesn't do the colours justice. Next one would like to have more a green/yellow scheme.

IMG_1976_zpsuzqkrnc1.jpg

Supercharger intake weld seam built up with putty and filed thinner. Out of focus.....in real life seam doesn't look too off scale for thickness but I do believe it should be thinner. Next time...

On this side the putty/sanding job isn't nearly as good as on the other. Really wasn't that noticeable until painted and under better lighting. Another detail to improve on for future builds. With so many things to improve with each build, will I ever finish the kits accumulated??

Thanks for looking.

All the best,

R.

• Like 1

Looks pretty good to me, great for a first attempt at Luftwaffe camouflage, I still like to learn something new on each build and maybe one day I will be good at it.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

Thank you Dennis.

The bar is set quite high with so many of the great builds on Britmodeller, it is somewhat intimidating to post picks of a modest project. I'm enjoying the construction and art aspect of the hobby. As a young boy didn't even have an airbrush, so much available now.

Is that help you have sitting on the desk or supervisor?

Regards,

R.

• Like 1

Thank you John!

If the weathering turns out half decent will post a couple more pics.

The jets you've built are amazing, especially the Prowler, wow.

Appreciate the support.

Robert

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ceithearn said:

Thank you Dennis.

The bar is set quite high with so many of the great builds on Britmodeller, it is somewhat intimidating to post picks of a modest project. I'm enjoying the construction and art aspect of the hobby. As a young boy didn't even have an airbrush, so much available now.

Is that help you have sitting on the desk or supervisor?

Regards,

R.

A bit of both, when it's time for food (his) he lets me know big style and off we go as for help, only if I want some part of a kit heavily chewed.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ceithearn said:

Thank you John!

If the weathering turns out half decent will post a couple more pics.

The jets you've built are amazing, especially the Prowler, wow.

Appreciate the support.

Robert

Cool, it would be nice to see the weathering. I do love a good weathering me.:thumbsup:

thanks for the prowler love. That one was a real challenge. :pilot:

Awesome stuff.

Johnny.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 1