DONE - Italeri 1/72 UH-1D Huey 'Slick' - Vietnam workhorse

Dermo245

So resurrecting this one from the back of the bench for this GB...a Vietnam era UH-1D in 'Slick' set up.

Italeri%20UH-1D%20Slick_zpsblr910ml.jpg

Had got some small work started on it for last year's Vietnam GB but nothing over the 25% rule - will post some more pics tonight.

I've scrounged some M-60s from a Blackhawk in the stash so they will be added to the build.

Thanks for looking and here's to a whop-whopping good GB!

All the best,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 3

So as promised, this is how far I got last year with this one..

Cabin started with some dry-brushed reddy/brown Vietnam earth colour...looks ok I think?

Italeri%201_72_UH-1D%20Cabin_WIP_zpsk9zw

And engine. Hard to tell but there is some wash on it to bring out the shadows..

Italeri%201_72_UH-1D%20Engine_WIP_zpsgli

And decided to cut open this area in the engine box, not that you see too much through it! t

Started with a pilot hole, followed by another and so on...

Italeri201_72_UH-1D20airframe_WIP_zpsvvx

Until I reached this....

Italeri201_72_UH-1D20airframe_WIP_2_zpst

Hope all of the above is still within the 25% limit lads?

Cheers,
Dermot

• Like 4

Looking good Dermot.

I have the same kit and may be starting it for this. Got the PE set from Airwaves over the weekend and already had the outrigger M-60s. Maybe need to find a better decal option but we shall see.

• Like 1

Hi Dermot,

Apologies, I thought I replied to this.

Glad to see you resurrect this one. Matt and I discussed a while back regarding your submission and we are happy to allow it into the GB.

I've done the same on the engine grill too, I think it will make a big difference to the look, I agree that you can't see much through it but it will still look better than the moulded detail offering. For the the grill I cut up a section of PE for the 212 (the grills are different for the 212 & UH-N, the grills for the latter are larger and Eduard provide both so it was going spare). Do you have spare 'grill material' ?

Cheers

Aaron

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dermot,

Apologies, I thought I replied to this.

Glad to see you resurrect this one. Matt and I discussed a while back regarding your submission and we are happy to allow it into the GB.

I've done the same on the engine grill too, I think it will make a big difference to the look, I agree that you can't see much through it but it will still look better than the moulded detail offering. For the the grill I cut up a section of PE for the 212 (the grills are different for the 212 & UH-N, the grills for the latter are larger and Eduard provide both so it was going spare). Do you have spare 'grill material' ?

Cheers

Aaron

Thanks Aaron and Matt.

I have some mesh from a kitchen strainer...it's probably a little overscale but as she's 1/72, I can live with it!.

More progress tonight for sure!

Dermot

Nice one - just regular teabags or do you use a certain brand?

Thanks,

Dermot

Not regular - you have to find pyramidal tea bags made of nylon (some of them are made from other materials - paper or whatever). I use Green Hill brand. For 1/72 is best I could find. For 1/32 35 mosquito nets are the best ;)

https://www.google.com/search?q=pyramidal+tea+bag

tea.jpg

• Like 2

So got a little bit more done last night..

This was the cabin as I had left it last year...Italeri%201_72_UH-1D%20Cabin_WIP_zpsk9zw

And now with the rear seats and some belts from masking tape added. Not exactly photo-etch quality but I think it's acceptable for the scale.

I've also tried to drybrush some Vietnam red/brown dirt in there for contrast....thoughts?

f613c25b-3e42-4a45-8b7a-485ba1f2d0d2_zps

And thanks to Stakor's suggestion (and following the example of Aaron, Nigel and many others here), I got some nylon teabags for the mesh but that's for later tonight.

Thanks for looking and comments welcomed!

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 3

So got the Huey buttoned up over the weekend.

d0763554-fa3b-49c5-aa60-6c318f673656_zps

Must say the nylon teabag as mesh grill worked out great!

Italeri201_72_UH-1D20airframe_WIP_5_zps0

And a first coat of paint on (guess where i held it)

Italeri%201_72_UH-1D%20airframe_WIP_6_zp

Thanks for looking.

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, S5 modeller said:

Nice work dermot, the paint looks good.

Can I presume you brush painted it?

Matt

Hey Matt,

Apart from primer which I spray from a can, you presumed right and am a hairy-stick modeller.

That's just the first coat of acrylic and at least two more to follow..

Cheers,

Dermot

And she's done!

Can't believe I haven't built one of the most recognisable and iconic helicopters before now. Really enjoyed it and will definitely make another in the future.

Anyway, enough waffling and some pictures!

Italeri%201_72_Bell_UH-1D_Iroquis_9_1024

Italeri%201_72_Bell_UH-1D_Iroquis_6_1024

Italeri%201_72_Bell_UH-1D_Iroquis_7_1024h

Now that I look at her, some ammo belts for those M-60s would probably be in order. Oh well, next week perhaps!

She's off to competition tomorrow in the IPMS Ireland annual show.

Will post some more pics in the Gallery. Thanks to Stakor & Nigel for the advice on the engine mesh, to everyone for their comments and Matt & Aaron for hosting.

Good luck with your builds and until the next time, happy modelling!

Cheers,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 4

Very nice. I like the open cockpit door and the door mounted M60's. I think the ammo belts would really set if off, but it looks the part.

Have a nice day at the show.

Edited by Smudge
  • Like 1

Wow, that looks really cool and like Smudge I like the open doors (something that really sets of a helicopter build in my opinion - displays all the internal detail to best effect).

She's off to competition tomorrow in the IPMS Ireland annual show.

Good luck in the competition, it deserves to do really well. Top notch! Will you be coming over for Telford this year?

• Like 1