Airfix Matador refueller and Lancaster MkII

Dear Fellow Modellers

Stimulated once more by the wartime film of Lancasters based at RAF Hemswell being prepared for a raid, I decided to try and bring the Airfix Matador Refueller up to scratch. Cue much time sanding down over thick mudguards and returning tread to the tyres. Steering wheel from Hauler and driver, wing mirrors and bridge weight marker from Dan Taylor modelworks. Am pleased to say that the Matador is still a nice kit given a bit of love and care, hope you agree?

Matador%20side%20close%201%20of%201_zpsj

Matador%20on%20the%20nose%201%20of%201_z

Matador%20stb%20nose%201%20of%201_zps5q6

Lanc%20tail%20stb%201%20of%201_zpsk1kcgf

Lanc%20tail%20port%201%20of%201_zpss6utu

Distant%20refueler%201%20of%201_zpsg7qwv

Hope you are enjoying your bank holiday? I spent part of mine working on the Airfix C-47 which strangely seems to need lots of filler, at least in my case

Regards

Andrew

• Like 55

Lovely little dio, Andrew. The Matador certainly looks the part, thanks to your TLC.

As for the bank holiday - mine was somewhat disrupted by having to work this morning. That, plus continuing investigation of the possibility of leaving Windows for Linux Mint, has curtailed my modelling work today.

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously nice.

Figures add life, context, and scale to models. Without them in this diorama it would look like everyone had scarpered off for lunch. The figures are especially well done with convincing RAF blue-grey which provides an excellent contrast to the Matador.

Nick

Hello,Andrew - I've seen the film several times and passed Hemswell many times and totally relate to the atmosphere you've created with this beautiful diorama.This is a splendid tribute to the base and residing squadrons.Superb modelling in every respect.I love it. ;) All the best,Paul.

Dear McDonnell and Mancunian Airman

Yes, I was inspired by the Hemswell film too!  But the more I looked into Matador tanker refuelers the more different I found the breed was, with many different sub-species.  Your Mancunian Matador has the boom refuelling apparatus that I have seen on post-war tankers (plus the Airfix Bedford refueller).  Then the pumping apparatus (gubbins behind those swing out doors) also changed pre and post-war.  So the Airfix pumping gear seems to again reflect a post-war configuration.

Andrew

• Like 1

Andrew

The Airfix pump equipment is not accurate, it lacks the reel hoses for one thing.

The booms were introduced before the end of the war and I have a photo of one taken at Elsham Wolds showing such.

many thanks for the interest.

Ian