1/144 Air New Zealand Boeing 787-9

Hi folks,

Long time no post. Lots of stalled builds, so I tried something simple for a quick build and as a leaving gift to a colleague who is shortly returning to New Zealand.

Zvezda 1/144 Boeing 787-9 kit with f-dcal decals. I figured there'd be tons of these on here, but surprised I couldn't find any. Kit is deceptively simple but very good. The engines, with separate fan blades are exceptional. The entire lower wing is a single piece moulding, significantly aiding the wing/fuselage join and the wing dihedral. The only downside are the overly shallow panel-lines, which all but disappear under paint and varnish. I replaced the landing gear with the Scale Aircraft Conversions white metal gear out of preference.

The f-dcal decals are mostly silk-screen printed, with just the engine exterior decals and cargo doors on a supplemental laser-printed sheet. The silk-screen decals are exceptionally thin, like to curl up and stay put, so need some care, but survived quite a lot of abuse. They responded well to MicroSet and Sol without any adverse reactions. The rear fuselage fern is printed integral with the rear set of windows (aids positioning) but was challenging to get into position and remove wrinkles/air bubbles. Patience is most definitely the order of the day. Which I had run out of by the time I got to do the wing walkways. Oh, and to note, the kit decal windows do not fully align with the kit windows, so these need filling completely or one has to resort applying the windows individually. I found out the hard way. :-/

Paints were my usual Zero Paints white primer, white and black, AlClads metals and Alclad Aqua Gloss varnish, latter applied with a wide flat brush. On the with photos.

Regards,

Darren

IMG_5423_zpsutpr91j0.jpg

IMG_5419_zps5u4gqevb.jpg

IMG_5420_zpst58lnu1n.jpg

IMG_5424_zpspoowfagc.jpg

IMG_5428_zps0noatrs7.jpg

IMG_5426_zpsl4cvj5pd.jpg

• Like 30

Thank you guys, very kind comments, much appreciated.

Alex, looking forward to seeing the All Black version, that will surely stand out. And likewise, TrojanThunder to seeing a Qantas 787. :D

Excitement over, now back to my 'Shelf of doom' builds.... ;-)

Regards,

Darren

A beautiful piece of work - looks like she has just rolled out of Boeings factory - such a real beaut of an airliner.

Boeing really got it right with their '87 series - your choice of livery is perfect not only for the model of Boeing, but also the disconcerting travelling Minstrel and also the colour-blind !

Very nice and clean build - :goodjob:

• Like 1