Dah Dah, Dah Dah Dah, Di Dah Dit, Di Di Dit, Dit........

Hi There!

My name is Pete Mortlock,I come from the town of Burton-on-Trent in Staffordshire England,and this is My first WIP on Britmodeller!

As to the topic title, those in the know will see where I'm coming from, for those who don't it's -- --- .-. ... . , which spells out M-O-R-S-E.......

Yes, I'm doing a Tamiya Mk.2 Jaguar in what must be the best known one around, in memory off the Late,Great John Thaw, who left Us (Unbelievably) 12 Years ago, and sadly missed.

utils_zps6tkeczq6.jpg

Modifications to the kit will include:-

Vinyl roof ,created with semi-gloss black paint

Steel wheels, modified from Fujimi 14" wheels up to 15" diameter

Chrome hubcaps, My first go at plunge moulding - :o

Scratch-built Wing mirrors

And printed number plates.

The Kit:-

1_zpsy6zjcuil.jpg

2_zpszftdnghi.jpg

3_zps9a3f7rq8.jpg

4_zpslovn0kyi.jpg

12_zpstlt7apdw.jpg

7_zpsuba78aew.jpg

8_zpsswgtqfja.jpg

9_zpsn4lj7k1m.jpg

The wire wheels are stunning,but unfortunately not being used on this build :weep: :-

11_zpshv3o5oe0.jpg

5_zpserletde5.jpg

Using these instead with modification:-

6_zpsy1vol60b.jpg

Decals (including woodgrain), metal Decals and carpet included:-

15_zpsoriaqx3s.jpg

14_zpscu0fdjlu.jpg

I will be cracking on with this from Today! :yahoo:

Keep Sticking!

Cheers, Pete

• Like 13

Excellent, I shall be watching this one! Morse was probably my favourite ever series, closely followed by the Sweeney, & I'm currently recording & watching all the re-runs on ITV!

I'd long planned on doing a model of his Jag, but sold the kit on instead! So I shall enjoy watching yours come together instead Pete!

ATB

Keith

This looks like it is going to be di di dah dit, di dit dah, dah dit! I will also be watching your build with interest Pete.

Not a lot of people know that the code was incorporated in the theme tune

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everybody!

Excuse the gap in posts, I've been letting the paint harden off fully on the body work.

Next the wheels which are 14", but need to be 15" ! I got My abacus out and worked out that 1" in 1/24 scale is .... 1/24th off an inch! :coolio: ..... which is roughly (abacuses (abacusi?) are only good to 3 decimal places...) about 1mm, so I took some 0.5 styrene seet and wrapped to rim with it,cleaned up the joint and cut the width down to suit the tyres (crossplies are skinnier),then painted them :-

16_zpsanbmmn8d.jpg

17_zpsncnsk1jv.jpg

26_zpsrqa3s8y5.jpg

When I fit the tyres, if the rim seems too bulky, I will run a black paint marker round the very edge to create on optical delusion!

Basic chassis assembly done:-

18_zpsng4pjqob.jpg

19_zpsbmdlmami.jpg

Engine block and gearbox:-

20_zpszwux3eam.jpg

Body mounted for painting:-

21_zpsxhlettwl.jpg

22_zpszcsmrnui.jpg

Body panels painted, Alclad white filler-primer, followed by 4 coats of Citroen Venetian Red (closest I could find for Jaguar Regency Red), followed by 3 coats of clear lacquer ( all Halfords, decanted and sprayed through an Iwata TRN2) :-

23_zpsejcnt5dd.jpg

24_zpsgr3zptvc.jpg

25_zps8kqfjlg7.jpg

After allowing sufficient time for hardening off, flatted down with 4000 Micromesh and polished with Novus 3-stage polishing kit:-

28_zpsunddntn6.jpg

29_zpsztnowi3h.jpg

27_zpshniblp9z.jpg

30_zpssscqnz4g.jpg

Basic engine painting started, alclad aluminium and dark alumunium (on Gearbox) :-

31_zpsconrplyv.jpg

More soon!

Keep Sticking!

Cheers, Pete

• Like 14

Looking really great.

Love that red shine.

A tip on the engine colours:

All Jaguar straight-6 engines had a satin black engine block, without exception.

The 'front' of the engine is ally colour and the head between the cam covers was usually silver - some were gold.

Sump was either silver or black.

Hope it helps.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

Thanks Sean!

I'm Enjoing every minute!! :thumbsup:

Hi Roy!

Just laying the first colours on here,will be masking up for the black later,Tamiya are also showing a black panel on the gearbox.

Cylinder head painting is called out as metallic blue in the kit (3.8), but Morse's car was a 2.4, so I've painted it in aluminium to represent as-cast unpainted finish.

Thanks for looking in Roy, and for Your advice!

I will be cracking along with this now, got side-tracked by a certain Traction Avant Odyssey........... :popcorn:

While Your on, could I ask for your advice?

In the stash, I have a Revell 1/8 E-Type, a pocher K73 Alfa and I am planning to get a Heller 1/8 traction Avant (Now!! :coolio: ), and I was wondering which order to tackle them in as regards relative ease of building and developing skills on one before moving on to the next?

Knowing that You have built all of them,and I would greatly value Your input.

Keep Sticking!!

Cheers, Pete

PS. Only 7years 8 months and 3 weeks 'til I retire and can do full-time modelling!! :yahoo: .............. :weep:

Edited by morty_3333

Hello Pete.

Regards the three biggies...

I'd go for the E Type first - LOADS of scope to improve it but even OOB, a pretty simple build and it's BIG and impressive. (I have umpteen upgrade bits if need or want anything different)

And actually - Id do the Alfa next and the Traction last.

Again, lots of improvement possible on the Alfa, and quite a bit of tweaking needed to get the bits to fit! (Get the Koo CD - You'll be glad you did)

Being 'nuts and bolts' it's easy to take to bits if things aren't quite right.

The Traction really needs no additions unless you want to go potty, as I did.

Even OOB it's a stunner, but needs thought and a lot of care when assembling as it's unbelievably accurate, and anything mis-assembled even a fraction, compounds as you go along until something major just won't fit. There is a comprehensive build CD available somewhere...

Loads of help and advice here on these three kits apart from just me so please - jump in and post a build.

Roy.

Oooh, I like that paint - stunningly gorgeous!!

Watching the Morse re-runs I've thought the Jag's colour looks very similar to our Mini (as per avatar). For some reason the previous owner actually sprayed it RAL3003 - a German standard colour! That annoys Mini diehards, so I think I'll call it Jaguar Regency Red from now on...!!

Top job!!

Keith

• Like 1

Just found this - and - NICE!!!

I've lived in Oxford since 1988, and Morse and it subsequent spin offs have always been faves of mine ( my old college room on The High used to appeared in the opening title sequence of the first Morse).

I'm hoping your "Endeavours" will be justly rewarded on this build :)

Jonners

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everybody!

Just a quick progress report:-

32_zpsf913sma1.jpg

33_zpsmgycsdwg.jpg

34_zpslkhcgmre.jpg

35_zpsahosfioc.jpg

36_zpsdq4hwgde.jpg

37_zpsfbt6zd28.jpg

38_zpsosljmf87.jpg

Just noticed that I've painted black too far down onto the door tops,and the vinyl roof stops part-way up the front screen pillars...Drat!.....some careful masking required!

39_zpse69mydhf.jpg

40_zpszb3zf6qd.jpg

41_zpspn41octc.jpg

Images for number plates,got to find a way to convert to vector images for printing,I don't have the software to do this,any recommendations? :-

lpgenI.phpfrontedit_zpspsnmd4ns.jpg

lpgenIue1_zpsvtfahxfl.jpg

Next job Bare Metal foiling,apply metal trim transfers(first time for Me),then convert the kit mirrors to the right style then have a go at moulding the hubcaps........:huh:

See Ya soon!

Keep Sticking!

Cheers,  Pete

Edited by morty_3333
  • Like 4