Arado Ar 196 A-3 Revell 1/32

Hello all

A few pics of one of my latest completions - Revell's Arado AR 196 in 1/32. All built out of the box with just a Montex Mini Mask for the canopy, and what a lovely kit to build. Loads of lovely detail inside and out, so I've posed it with everything open and with one wing folded.

Eventually painted with a mix of Tamiya and Mr Hobby acrylics. I had intended to go with Humbrol's range of RLM colours for the RLM 72/73 topside camo, but these proceeded to block my airbrush in no time at all, and the paint i managed to get onto the plane had a horrible gritty finish to it that i could have sanded down another model with! I'm sure others out there have got good results using these paints, but I don't think I'll ever use them again...

The eventual colours used for the splinter camo were a mish mash of greens and greys which I played around with until I ended up with something I was happy with, even if nowhere near the actual colours specified. Kept the weathering light as I usually do, with just some pre-shading of panel lines and oild-based washes applied.

Overall I'm quite chuffed with how this one has turned out - a real pleasure to put together.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Adam

IMG_2571_zpstwdmpbcz.jpg

IMG_2606_zpsdrqmhie2.jpg

IMG_2597_zpsfrzovwh1.jpg

IMG_2594_zpsyf99hpd0.jpg

IMG_2574_zpsbllv379w.jpg

IMG_2604_zpsc6pptxyl.jpg

IMG_2572_zpsniuliosb.jpg

IMG_2814_zpspzjv1zbc.jpg

IMG_2581_zpsbdtfws3k.jpg

IMG_2801_zpsxqew2y2u.jpg

• Like 23

Hi Adam,

You can be very chuffed with your result of this nice model. It turns out very well! All these details are amazing to look at. Very nice weathering, not overdone. When I built my He-115 I remember these problems with the RLM colors 72/73. I used these Xtracrylix. The best in my eyes and for my taste.

You made a great job!!!!

Please more of such beautiful models

All the best

Andy

Hi Adam,

You can be very chuffed with your result of this nice model. It turns out very well! All these details are amazing to look at. Very nice weathering, not overdone. When I built my He-115 I remember these problems with the RLM colors 72/73. I used these Xtra-colors. The best in my eyes and for my taste.

You made a great job!!!!

All the best

Andy

Edited by Andy Dyck
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the kind feedback so far, much appreciated as always.

Excellent.

Is it a Revell original or a re-boxed someone else?

Ian - it's the Revell original - kit number 04688. It had been in the stash a good couple of years.

That's a good lookin' build doozer. It looks a little on the "new" side but it's very well detailed and painted. :thumbsup2:

Mustang - know what you mean. I took those photos on one of the sunniest days of this year, and I think the brightness of the light is making it look a bit more shiny and new than it would usually. It had a decent coat of flat varnish, but could maybe do with a bit more!

Hi Adam,
You can be very chuffed with your result of this nice model. It turns out very well! All these details are amazing to look at. Very nice weathering, not overdone. When I built my He-115 I remember these problems with the RLM colors 72/73. I used these Xtra-colors. The best in my eyes and for my taste.
You made a great job!!!!

All the best
Andy

Thanks Andy, will have a look at the Xtracrylix RLM colours next time!

Cheers

Adam

• Like 1

You will not be disapointed! The advantage is also that these colors a little bit glossy and the danger of silvering decals is banned.

And You have a big range of colours of every country!

:cowboy:

Andy

• Like 1

Bought this kit as it came out, even as 1/32 is really not my favourite scale. It seemed so nice in the box and more convincing than the Itamiya one (1/48). Still in the stash,though. I don't dare to go big... my mistakes would be even more visible than usual.

Good job for sure and happy to hear you had an enjoyable build.

No problems with the assembly of the canopy (I find it a bit weird these separate panels)?

Edited by PattheCat
  • Like 1

No problems with the assembly of the canopy (I find it a bit weird these separate panels)?

Thanks Pat. This was the first time I'd come across having to assemble a canopy from flat pack. No real problems, the fit is good, and so long as you use glue that gives you a bit of time to adjust and get the angles right to fit onto the fuselage, you should be fine. With hindshight I would have painted all the individual panels before assembly though, to make it easier to paint the inside of the canopy.

• Like 1

Really nicely finished Adam. It's a pity Revell seem to have discontinued the twin float version and just seem to have the single float version available now, which to me anyhow, doesn't have the same appeal. :goodjob:

BillyD

• Like 1

That is a great build, nice subtle weathering , I have just recently got hold of one of these at a bargain price and is waiting its turn to be done.

Thanks for sharing your AR-196 doozer cracking job.

Guy

• Like 1