Are Humbrol poor with everyone?

ZitchDog

So I have just ruined another model thanks to Humbrol clear varnishes. I emailed them after the first to see if it was something I had done wrong and no reply. I have just completed my second model, varnished again exactly as recommended/instructed and again model ruined and still no reply from Humbrol. Is it just me or is their customer service as poor as their products?

What happened when you used the product.

Also I don't think it's just you as others I believe have had problems with them

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235001776-humbrol-clear-gloss-varnish

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234936357-humbrol-clear

Ended up un-even and with white patches. Managed to remove, re-paint and try a second time and had the same result but worse. Again removed but damaged the plastic in the process.

it does seem to be a common problem with their product which has given me a little confidence.

Ditch them, I had the same problem, and so have a lot of others.

Simon ( a dis-gruntled modeler)

Yea going to give something else a go next time, just need to find the motivation to start again!

• Like 1

I am not knocking Humbrol products but there varnishes in rattle cans is c***

Try Vallejo varnishes, I have had no real problem with them.

There are others makes out there, so see what works best for you.

Good luck.

Simon.

• Like 3

I have never ha a problem with the acrylic varnish in rattle cans except when I sprayed when there was too much humidity, so I am at a loss to explain what has happened and can only sympathise,

I found that stuff lifts absolutely everything I've sprayed it on top of.

• Like 2

My main issue has been their enamel varnish rattle cans. I've very rarely managed to use a complete Matt one as they seem to clog up or loose pressure at an alarming rate. A few even started to squirt paint out from under the nozzle head, covering my hand!

I can only guess, but perhaps an over abundance of the matting agent clogs up either the nozzle itself or the workings inside the can.

Either way, I've wasted more than a few quid on them!

Mike.

• Like 1

I had the exact same problem with the varnish and Humbrol.

Took 18 months to get them to do something about it.

Not replying to e-mails.

Getting the run around on the phone.

Not getting call backs.

I had to get nasty with them to get a response in the end.

Very poor customer services.

Not impressed.

I had the exact same problem with the varnish and Humbrol.

Took 18 months to get them to do something about it.

Not replying to e-mails.

Getting the run around on the phone.

Not getting call backs.

I had to get nasty with them to get a response in the end.

Very poor customer services.

Not impressed.

Yea i think id end up going down the same route, its just shocking that they obviously have so many complaints about this item and yet do nothing about it, one for trading standards i think.

I've had no problems with Humbrol varnishes except once when I didn't shake the can first, and it came out white.

However, I now prefer to use Halfords clear for glosswork whilst for matt or silk I use a blend of Klear and Tamiya Flat Base.

I use acrylics.

Edited by Hepster
  • Like 2

I've had no problems with Humbrol varnishes except once when I didn't shake the can first, and it came out white.

However, I now prefer to use Halfords clear for glosswork whilst for matt or silk I use a blend of Klear and Tamiya Flat Base.

I use acrylics.

Well I have a bottle of clear and Matt that you are welcome to for nowt if you want them!

Humbrol varnishes appear to be a strange kind of alchemy: those who know the correct incantations have no problem whatsoever!

I must confess, the only time I have used the spray acrylic gloss, on a Humbrol painted model which had not been touched for well over a decade (so the paint should have been cured...) it left a weird pink residue and seemed very 'hot'.

I've stuck with Windsor & Newton since and am happy.

It's all a personal experience-led preference.

Edited by Vicarage Vee
  • Like 1

No problems here. I put them thinned in my airbrush, gloss, satin and matt. All are flawless. I must have one of the few good batches by the sounds of it.

EDIT: I've tried using their khaki paint recently and it's more like a gloopy green colour akin to a Citadel colour.

Edited by Darby
  • Like 1

I use acrylics.

Hi mate, what Halfords clear are you recommending?

The Humbrol woes and pros have been mentioned on here almost endlessly.

I purchased a bottle of their Bottled Clear when it first arrived and have to say that I loved it.

If I recall, I was so impressed with its settling properties that I think I gave one if my models around eight coats with my Airbrush!

For some reason, I tried it on the next model (a few months later) and I didn't get the same results.

I also found that dipping canopies was not as good as Pledge, so overall I've returned back to that latter product.

I've also tried Humbrols Enamel and Acyrlic Varnish sprays with mixed results.

The Acrylic (IMO) is probably the most durable and reliable product I've got on my modelling bench, whilst the Enamel will never be used again.

Now Paints - I'm one of those lucky souls who still owns a tin of original #11 Silver Fox which although it exhibits a nice crusty layer of dried paint around the rim is still the most brightest Silver I've ever come across.

Horses for courses I suppose. Like most modellers I'll keep trying different products until I reach that level of perfection that I can dream about, however never seem to obtain.

Cheers.. Dave

Hello from another one of the disgruntled customers Humbrol is attempting to ignore regarding their poor quality, and occasionally dangerous, spray cans.

Avoid like they were the very plague itself.

The `Army Painter` cans are good quality varnishes, but take a bit of finding, what with the ban on posting such items.

Cheers, Ian

I received a few emails from Humbrol today, explaining their system has changed and some of their emails have gotten lost,

Also had this email explaining the conditions for application and a surprising friendly response. Can't seem to copy and paste the reply though.

Hello from another one of the disgruntled customers Humbrol is attempting to ignore regarding their poor quality, and occasionally dangerous, spray cans.

Avoid like they were the very plague itself.

The `Army Painter` cans are good quality varnishes, but take a bit of finding, what with the ban on posting such items.

Cheers, Ian

I've found 'Army Painter' matt varnish to be useless. It just leaves a dry, milky finish. Citadel products from Games Workshop are way better.

I've found 'Army Painter' matt varnish to be useless. It just leaves a dry, milky finish. Citadel products from Games Workshop are way better.

Never had that problem, did with Humbrol though. That and the top blowing up in my face under pressure.

Do Citadel do a matt varnish?

Cheers, Ian