Are Humbrol poor with everyone?

ZitchDog

I used a bottle of Pledge floor wax to hand paint (don't want to use it through my airbrush because I don't have anything to clean it out with) at first, followed with a can of Vallejo matt varnish. Worked out fine, if inefficient. I then used Tamiya Gloss Clear and Matt Clear through my airbrush. Running low on the gloss, and finding it could take ages to build up a proper shine, I went back to using the brush painted Pledge. Only problem I've had with severe frosting was when I tried hand painting a bit of the Matt varnish. Frosted almost immediately, and virtually nothing would stop it. Nearly ruined a figure I'd spent time painting in digital camouflage, but luckily I managed to recover it. Won't be doing that again.

As for Humbrol varnishes. I bought a bottle of the Gloss Cote but never used it, because I didn't know and couldn't find out what its base was (to know if my enamel washes would affect it). Heard a lot of horror stories with Humbrol stuff, while others swear by it. Being more of a glass is half full kind of person, I decided not to risk it.

Gaz

Edited by GazB

Their acrylic colours are so bad I don't plan to try the sprays. It's like painting with toothpaste.

Tamiya + Alclad top coat all the way for me.

Edited by goggsy

Well I have a bottle of clear and Matt that you are welcome to for nowt if you want them!

Thanks, but I have more Johnsons Clear than I know what to do with.

Hi mate, what Halfords clear are you recommending?

Halfords Clear Lacquer.

Remember though, I use acrylics, this stuff may react with acrylics. However, if I did need to use it over enamels, I would coat the enamel in Johnsons Clear first as it is a neutral barrier.

Halfords Clear Lacquer.

Remember though, I use acrylics, this stuff may react with acrylics. However, if I did need to use it over enamels, I would coat the enamel in Johnsons Clear first as it is a neutral barrier.

I'd second this, when I tried it over Tamiya Acrylic it melted the paint in a weird crackling effect.

Funny this thread at this time. I just had cause to open a 14ml tinlet of Humbrol Matt enamel varnish which I bought about six months ago and is from a shop who had not long re-stocked. I have never seen the like before. It is chock full of what I am guessing is the 'matting' agent (probably ground glass) giving it a gloopy, greyish brown appearance.

Until I hear that they have improved their paints I will not be buying another single tin of Humbrol enamel. Apart from the Matt varnish and one or two other tins my large supply of Humbrol enamels are 25+ years old and all still excellent and, as I work my way through them I will be changing to another supplier of paints as it looks as if Humbrol have screwed up the product in a big big way.

Their acrylic colours are so bad I don't plan to try the sprays. It's like painting with toothpaste.

Tamiya + Alclad top coat all the way for me.

One of the greens on the B-70 is Citadel, applied with a flat brush. Covers better than Xtracolour, and dries much quicker. Airframe flat brushed with Kleer, then flatted on top with Purity Seal.

Well I received a new bottle of Matt varnish from Humbrol following my complaint. They also hinted at replacing a model had it been one of theirs.

I won't be risking using the new bottle as I now have W&N varnishes which I am hoping to try out next week. So I now have 2 bottles of Matt and 1 gloss free to anyone that wants it (if they think they can get on with it! Lol)

Ditch enamels and discover the wonders of acrylics. Apart from Tamiya, Gunze etc there are so many artists acrylic varnishes available to use and all better than any enamel or spray can you use

Please don't make that rather bold claim until you have tried and dismissed ours. :thumbsup2:

I'm not bothered whether you personally ever try another enamel brand or not, but enamels can be excellent to work with but it really doesn't help keep high quality product lines going when the thought process is enamel brand A is not good, therefore go to acrylic brand B,C,D...

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Problem with brush painting Humbrol metal cote 27002 in that I cannot get it to polish. Contacted Humbrol twice but no reply.  Trying to get a good NMF without airbrushing.

I know this is an older thread, but i have very good results with the clear gloss varnish, brushed in thin coats (don't slather it on so it pools everywhere). Haven't tried the matt version, but a review recently on amazon re the product says there is a new and improved version that works (and has that sticker on the bottle) and his description says that you can tell the new from the older by the amount of 'white gunk' in the bottle (the new version having much less). From the sound of it, it is simply a case of having too much matting agent for the carrier in the container. This goes for any brand.

With matt varnishes, I have had Humbrol Acrylic and Enamel, Revell Acrylic and enamel, Vallejo, matt cote, etc etc. All of them required intensive thinning before use, to varying degrees. As an example, my Humbrol acrylic required thinning to the degree I could have had two pots full to the brim before it was ready to brush on without a snowstorm. Good for saving money, but bad for those that just want a stir and paint recipe.

If anyone here is using them 'from the bottle' without thinning, you will get the Russian Snowstorm effect. So before you throw anything out, try decanting some and thinning, to various degrees, while brushing them over a piece of glossed scrap. Once you have the perfect recipe, you will have not problems. This has been the same for all of the Matt/Satin varnishes I have tried without fail.

Naturally, before taking any out to be thinned, do stir the bejesus out of it until the white matting agent is thoroughly mixed in.

• Like 1