Should I risk it again?

ZitchDog

So my first model was written off by using Humbrol Matt clear coat. I am just at the stage of decals on my second, should I try again with the Humbrol Matt or try something new?

I am now airbrushing which I didn't on my last model and I also think I may have not stirred the Matt coat enough last time. I will do a test piece prior to my model however it was only ruined in patches so a clear test piece could be misleading?

• Like 1

I may ask what your exact problem was

Silvering on the decals or a "dusty" or "foggy" look?

Probably just my read comprehension but i better ask

Maybe i can help

Edited by Levin

Cheers Nigel,

Well I have come down this morning and the gloss coat I applied last night isn't great, it's also left milky patches once again. :( I don't know what went wrong with that this time. humidity wasn't high.

I'm debating just forgetting the varnish coats. Anyone do this or is the outcome just too poor from it?

I use ' Galeria ' matt varnish over acrylic and enamels and it works for me. The Galeria dries dead flat, if you need a slight sheen I would suggest DecoArt ' Americana ' Their matt does not dry completely flat which is ideal for some finishes.

Good luck

John

• Like 1

Cheers Nigel,

Well I have come down this morning and the gloss coat I applied last night isn't great, it's also left milky patches once again. :( I don't know what went wrong with that this time. humidity wasn't high.

I'm debating just forgetting the varnish coats. Anyone do this or is the outcome just too poor from it?

Don't let this bad experience put you off varnishes. They are vital and you will regret it in the long run when dust starts to accumulate around or even under the edges of your decals. You just need to find the right product for you.

As Nigel suggests, the Galeria range is popular with people on here. I brush on the original Johnson's Klear or I'll airbrush on Alclad varnishes which work straight from the bottle.

It will require a bit of trial and error, but I'm sure you will find what works for you.

Hth,

Tom.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I know what i did wrong with my gloss coat, too high psi and and sprayed too far from the model so it has given a slightly bumpy effect, going to see if another (properly applied) layer will help solve it, although its not too bad at the minute just not very gloss.

Going to pop out and pick up some of the galleria varnish also and give it a bash once, thanks for all the advice

• Like 1

Well I give up, managed to salvage it this morning and thought I would attempt the gloss again and now the model is completely ruined and in the bin. Think I might just give up for a while and come back to it when I'm not completely ******** off with it!

Zitchdog, never throw them away :), you can always go back to them. I throw around 15 models of various groups which I had from a teenager, I wish I'd kept them now. I'd suggest finding a cheapish kit probably in a sale which you can experiment on, you can perfect what you want on that before moving onto the real thing.

DWH, can the W&N be sprayed clean or does it have to be thinned down? Vallejo's range can be sprayed straight from the bottle.

• Like 1

Zitchdog, never throw them away :), you can always go back to them. I throw around 15 models of various groups which I had from a teenager, I wish I'd kept them now. I'd suggest finding a cheapish kit probably in a sale which you can experiment on, you can perfect what you want on that before moving onto the real thing.

DWH, can the W&N be sprayed clean or does it have to be thinned down? Vallejo's range can be sprayed straight from the bottle.

Yea i should have kept it, but the sight of it offended my eyes! lol. Thinking of popping out buying a cheap one as you say. Thinking along the lines of the airfix bf109 as im pretty sure the store around the corner has them in stock. Another part of me just cant be bothered right now also though.

I bought a bunch of cheap revel and Airfix 1:72 kits so that I can practice on something that I don't mind ruining.

At a fiver a pop I'm not going to loose any sleep if a clear coat goes awry.

So far I've had good success with Gunze "Mr Super Clear" from an aerosol and Tamiya clears XF-86 and X-22 airbrushed.

I've yet to try the X-35 satin but that's next in line.

• Like 1

I have found this locally however it states acrylic matt varnish, will it still work on enamels?

Of course.

can the W&N be sprayed clean or does it have to be thinned down?

It is rather thick in the bottle so I just thin it with some tap water.