1/48 Revell Lunar Module (LEM)

After getting hold of an original 1970's Airfix 1/72 Lunar module I initially started out with the intention of building that next. 'Need some gold foil I thought' - 'I know I've got the Revell kit and that has some in it' so off to the stash and I dragged the Revell kit out.

Looking at the two kits (apart from scale) the assent stage look very similar to each other; the rest of the kit not so much. The surface detail on the Airfix kit is much better; you can actually see the faceted shapes in the fuselage, where as on the Revell kit the facet shapes on the fuselage sides are hardly defined at all.

Given I like a challenge and I prefer working on a larger model. I'm going to build the Revel kit and make all of the mods to that one. The Airfix kit I'll build as it is for the sake of nostalgia as I don't have the heart to chop and change that one. I might even do it with the incorrect colour scheme of the day as represented on the instructions. I believe this scheme was for the original prototype Block 1 LEM.

So, to compare the two kits:

Revell:

rlm1_zps3vu4tzi6.jpg

Airfix:

alm1_zpseotbxwnd.jpg

Note: I'm missing one of the Airfix foot pads. I'll have to scratch build one.

Karl

Edited by Karl
  • Like 2

Wonder why the Revell kit has 4 astronauts??? Maybe they're to hold the cameras while filming in 'Area 51'? :banghead::banghead:

Want to get the old Airfix kit again, if only for nostalgic reasons.....

It's actually two fronts and two backs, so only 2 astronauts, however the space suits are a bit fictional, almost like something out of 1950 Sci-Fi.

I don't like the silver plastic the Revell kit is moulded in; it's quite thick and it's quite hard.

Karl

• Like 1

Most builds of the LEM I see online start with the logical place - the decent stage, however having looked at the Revell parts it appears that the assent stage is the one that requires most work so I'm starting on that.

From the front both kits look similar, but on closer inspection as you go around the sides it all goes wrong, especially for the Revell kit. the side detail is very vague to non existent. The upper area of the Airfix kit is better but again the Revell appears to be, well, I'm not sure what it is. Certainly does not look like any of the reference pictures of the LEM I've seen.

rlm2_zpsxfktowsp.jpg

rlm3_zpsvt90i6fd.jpg

Next, I've just started to cut the offending areas out, these will be replaced with styrene sheet. Eventually I cut the front off the LEM as it was going to be easier to glue the two halves of the assent stage together and then work on the plating. Cutting the front off allowed me access to the inside.

rlm4_zpsef63ivnf.jpg

Karl

Edited by Karl
  • Like 3

I've started to rebuild the areas I have cut out, using various reference sources to try and get it in to the shape of LM5. As far as I know all the LM's were all a little different from each other.

rlm5_zps0k0rsctl.jpg

rlm6_zpswly46brz.jpg

rlm7_zps3baxajej.jpg

rlm8_zpsrsiw08x1.jpg

Karl

Edited by Karl
  • Like 4

Great start,I tried building the Airfix one "back in the Day" it ended up resembling a ball of solidified plastic cement held together by polystyrene :)

• Like 1

Following this.....is the revell the same as the Monogram?

No. The Monogram kit that is available in the US is very different from the Revell kit available here. The parts breakdown is different with the Monogram kit being overall more accurate. The assent stage looks more accurate than the Revell kit; the main assent stage fuselage being represented by five parts including an actual ascent engine, where on the Revell kit it is represented by two simple parts.

I believe (I could be wrong) that both the Airfix and Revell kits were modelled from the Block 1 prototype LEM where as the Monogram kit was modelled after the actual Moon landing and therefore Monogram had the actual Moon ready Block 2 vehicle details to go by.

Great start,I tried building the Airfix one "back in the Day" it ended up resembling a ball of solidified plastic cement held together by polystyrene :)

Sounds similar to my first attempt!!

Karl

Edited by Karl
  • Like 1

No. The Monogram kit that is available in the US is very different from the Revell kit available here. The parts breakdown is different with the Monogram kit being overall more accurate. The assent stage looks more accurate than the Revell kit; the main assent stage fuselage being represented by five parts including an actual ascent engine, where on the Revell kit it is represented by two simple parts.

I believe (I could be wrong) that both the Airfix and Revell kits were modelled from the Block 1 prototype LEM where as the Monogram kit was modelled after the actual Moon landing and therefore Monogram had the actual Moon ready Block 2 vehicle details to go by.

Sounds similar to my first attempt!!

Karl

that is a relief.....I have it and a bunch of PE in the stash....I grew up with all things moonlanding on my walls

that is a relief.....I have it and a bunch of PE in the stash....I grew up with all things moonlanding on my walls

Hope I'm allowed to do this...

This is a link to Airfix Tribute Forum and a very good build of the Monogram LEM showing the difference in parts breakdown to the Revell kit in my pictures:

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/Revell_Monogram_1_48_Lunar_Module_Eagle_5087_build_about19206.html

Karl

The rear thruster quad mounts need alteration to make them a bit more symmetrical. I've attached the thruster mounts to the fuselage All of this is being done with the application of the razor saw.

This is out of the box

rlm9_zpsjjbp0rfv.jpg

After cutting it down and adding some plastic plating. It's still a bit rough as I still have some filler to apply.

rlm10_zps5igkzyar.jpg

The under side of the assent stage out of the box does not have any sort of engine detail at all. I've had to cut out the area where the engine bell would be and then box it in with more sheet plastic.

rlm11_zpsplqzz7w9.jpg

Finally for now, on the underside of the rear of the module there is what appears to be some grill work. I've replicated this by cutting out the shape and scribing in some vent louvres and add a bit of frame work.

rlm12_zps0qwryzxg.jpg

Karl

Edited by Karl
  • Like 5

I've installed the vent panel on to the fuselage and some additional plating to finish off this area.

I had to create the assent engine bell from scratch, looking through the bit box I found a pair of 1/72 scale Gloster Meteor intakes from a NF14 kit and made one whole shape out of the two; the intakes had notches to allow it to fit to the Meteors wing - no use to me here, so I cut out the notch and a matching bung from the second intake. Sanded the lot down and added a lip from a thin bit of Evergreen plastic strip.

On the underside of the fuselage where I boxed it in, I installed a mounting area comprising of a 1/72 Meteor intake ring and a discarded part from my 1/72-1/144 Thunderbird One build. I can then use foil up to the mounting ring and paint the engine area.

rlm13_zps0bu9ahmi.jpg

rlm14_zpstea7fpws.jpg

Karl

Edited by Karl
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This part of the assent stage fuselage is now mostly complete, the details will be added later when I've attached the front 'crew' part.

rlm15_zps27fzx6cz.jpg

rlm16_zpskot2nj9h.jpg

Next up is the front section. I need to fill in the large lump left by removing the strange area on the right (as viewed) that should only be a tube but became a weird triangular area. I also need to add a section to left to make it more square. I also need to remove the door and replace it with a scratch built item.

rlm18_zpshe3nprqx.jpg

Karl

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I've removed the Door from the front section and built a new one from a double layer of plastic sheet. I have also built up the asymmetric bulge to the Left with plastic and filler and cleaned and filled the gouge to the right.

rlm19_zpsy5lelh9h.jpg

I've installed the new door and added the antenna mount to the top, plus added detail to the rest of this area, including cutting out the docking window for the COAS sight on the roof panel. I have also installed the glazing. This was masked up and I sprayed the interior black, including a new back panel to keep the interior neat and simple.

rlm20_zpsy2n2tuio.jpg

rlm21_zpsfi4zhrcx.jpg

rlm22_zpsr0pibcgg.jpg

Strange black lollipop / flower.....? Ah - the new back panel.

rlm23_zpsp0vvjzyy.jpg

Karl

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Time for this part of the LM to come together for it's major components. The black lollipop seals off the front of the assent stage - it's all black inside, you can't see much through the windows anyway.

rlm27_zpsa2vrmj7w.jpg

Once the back plate has been trimmed and sanded to match the front, it was time to bring both halves together and neaten up the join with filler. this completes the major assembly of the assent stage. I'll do the detailing and antenna, etc later on.

rlm28_zpsqyxzwooj.jpg

rlm25_zpsmxch1dj6.jpg

rlm26_zpsvb14llwa.jpg

rlm24_zpshdhjplgt.jpg

Karl

Edited by Karl
  • Like 6

Superb! I started working on making this kit more accurate some years back, including doing a more detailed interior. That build has been languishing on the shelf of doom for some years... maybe one day... 

This is looking very interesting and will be following it from now on!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kallisti said:

Superb! I started working on making this kit more accurate some years back, including doing a more detailed interior. That build has been languishing on the shelf of doom for some years... maybe one day... 

This is looking very interesting and will be following it from now on!

Thanks!

I did think about doing an interior, but decided that was going to be a step too far.

Karl.

On to the descent stage of the LEM.

The basic parts layout of the fuselage are as shown. The top has the four small upper arms of the landing gear, although they don't have any of the detail and they are flat rather than tubular. the main body is has inaccurate doors for the ALSEP package, no Helium tank bump and no experiment bay door.

The bottom has the moulded in hinges for the 'working' landing gear feature that need to be removed as this is an incorrect placement for them, they need to be along the bottom edge. Note the Revell Inc 1982 legend on the bottom.

rlm31_zpsqjjtg82w.jpg

Next to the landing gear

Karl

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Still working on the assent stage.

I glued the bottom to the centre section to give me some reference for resizing the landing legs bottom frame. I needed to substantially alter the frame as it was originally designed to be a 'working feature'; nice for a toy but not so good for a scale model. This working feature made the shape of the frame and where it attached to the fuselage all wrong. 

Essentially I had to cut the thing up and reshape it. Cutting it up made it extremely weak, so I made a thin flat template in she shape I wanted the frame and then stuck the tubular parts of the frame to it. I then later blended and shaped the flat template in to the tubular parts making it almost impossible to tell it's not purely tubular, especially when you apply the foil that comes shortly.

rlm32_zpsspcvnjrm.jpg

rlm33_zpstlrplum4.jpg

These new frames were attached to new anchor points on the fuselage and fixed in place at an angle.

rlm34_zpsn7dgxqul.jpg

This photo also shows the first stages of the foil work. I used Revell Contacta Special glue as recommended. The kit comes with some gold foil and I used some ordinary kitchen foil for the silver parts. most of the silver foil will be painted black. I scrunched up the foil a bit to represent the wrinkly appearance of the original LM.

The top has also now been attached and some modifications done to the top landing gear arms.

rlm35_zpsitmxnhck.jpg

Applying the foil is messy work as the glue is quite stringy some times and I really didn't enjoy that bit, although the result is quite good.  

Edited by Karl
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I've moved on with the foiling and the assent stage is now completely covered in foil. At this stage it still has to have certain parts painted.

The next stage shows the construction of the frame for the RCS plume deflector's. I'm using thin styrene rod; it's probably a bit scale wise too thick, however using brass would be too difficult (for me) and styrene rod of the correct thickness just would not survive!

rlm37_zpsgdh7zrbh.jpg

A bit further on in the process, the frames are nearly complete.

rlm38_zps5fpavsky.jpg

The actual plume deflector was made from an old 1/48 ASAT rocket cut up and shaped accordingly:

rlm39_zpsudybwwwe.jpg

Finally for now, a couple of coats of black on the foil areas that require it and on the frames that are going to be silver.

rlm40_zpsqdkejcdg.jpg

Karl

• Like 7