Classic ANZ DC-10

Madhatter

Hi again everyone

I wasn't going to build this now, but I am trying to quit smoking and this drug that I am on to help is killing my mojo (well, better that than the fags killing me) so I thought I may try and see if I can get some enthusiasm back by building this one up. I am also meant to be doing my first ever scratch build, but for the a-fore mentioned reasons, that is on hold until I get some zest-for-modelling back

I bought this kit from another member here not long ago and to go with it, I bought the Old Model Decals classic Air New Zealand DC-10 decals and the AA sets of windows and cockpit decals. I realise I seem to be hung up on ANZ and I guess I am in a way as it is my home country so I do have a soft spot for it. Please forgive me :)

This is also my first ever crack at a natural metal finish, so again, time will tell if it comes out OK.

So, what do you get in the box. Let's have a peek:

IMG_3894_zpsnz8dbhfp.jpg

IMG_3895_zps87phtefz.jpg

IMG_3898_zpsbqnoflyk.jpg

Check out the wheel attachments - sooo thick:

IMG_3900_zpsmghakkjg.jpg

IMG_3901_zpscxpbnfer.jpg

what cracks me up are the "Windows" for this kit - I am not sure what kind of effect Revell had in mind when they did this, but man it looks terrible. Still, they will make good backing plates for the putty that'll be going over the top :)

IMG_3902_zpslhdlpyfo.jpg

And last but not least - the decal sets:

IMG_3897_zpshe82wfzn.jpg

So, time to start doing some building!

Till next time

Thanks for looking

MH

• Like 6

Great choice of modeling subject! Have you decided on the reg? I'd personally build NZP as a sort-of tribute/memorial/whatever the word is, so just wondering if that's what you're doing or this is going somewhere else...

• Like 1

thanks guys - glad you like the subject. I really wanted to do this in Singapore Airlines colors but no one does decals for the DC-10 and I am not talented enough to make my own.

Great choice, totally forgiven! The decals look very nicely done, are they laser or ink jet printed?

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I am not entirely sure what type they are. He lists them as Digital Decals so I couldn't tell you anything else. I do know thought that they are great decals and perform well. I'll have to have a look on his website to get the information and get back to you on this

Si

Forgot to mentioned good luck with giving up smoking.

I am clean from smoking for almost 4 months now.....Just got up one day and decided no more........(Something like forrest gump and his running ) hehehehe

Best of luck man

Rgds

• Like 3

you are awesome Ray - I have just bought the and will be changing my scheme to the Singapore Airlines scheme. I also have a Concorde in the stash so will be doing it in this scheme as well.

• Like 1

Oh I didn't know that. Good thing the Kit has BA decals as well

One thing I did notice AFTER I bought those decals was how yellowed they are. I'm hoping some time in the sun will fix that. If it goes FUBAR, I can always switch back to ANZ... I hope

I was having a good look at this kit and noticed just how many ejector marks are all over the inside of the tube and they would be a real PITA to remove, so I had a look through my drawer of stuff and as luck would have it, I found the right sized brass tube to go inside:

IMG_3905_zpscuxjpcpl.jpg

IMG_3908_zps5hsydjpv.jpg

A bit of putty around the edges and Bob's your Uncle. Much better IMO

Gosh, I just had a read back through my post and have noted I have used a a lot of acronyms. I am sooo lazy sometimes

MH

• Like 4

15mm. You could get away with 16-17mm as well., If anything, 16 might be better but I had to make do with what I had on hand

BTW, does anyone know what the right shade of blue Singapore AL use? I'm thinking midnight blue but happy to be corrected

Thanks

MH

• Like 1

Might have to find some tube, I have 3 of these Revell kits. The tube fills the gap nicely.

I think the other engines need this sort of attention as well. There is a definite curl to the intake lips on the other engines.

yeah - I am intending on adding the tube to the other 2 engines as well - I just haven't cut it up yet :) I will hopefully do that tonight - fingers crossed

Hi everyone

Time for a quick update

The wings are masked and ready to start the painting process - something which I can't do until my new airbrush arrives :(

IMG_3913_zpszr9ohnir.jpg

I have cut 8mm lengths of tube to go inside the engines - they fit perfectly!:

IMG_3909_zpsekirxood.jpg

IMG_3910_zpsm9iptjhu.jpg

And dry fitted:

IMG_3911_zpslqes628t.jpg

IMG_3922_zpsugycn1xl.jpg

And the #2 engine is looking OK as well - only a small amount of putty around the edges was needed to blend it in better:

IMG_3914_zpsmrzd9jv1.jpg

I've just about finished sanding the body and it's looking good so far (I LOVE my flexi-filer!!). Primer will hopefully be on tomorrow

No sign of the SA decals as yet and I am really seriously doubting them as they are very yellowed, so I may stick to the ANZ decals I already have. At least I know they are good quality. I'll save them for the Concorde later

On a side note, a s a small present to myself for no smoking, I bought the 1/144 Anigrand C-5 Galaxy. I know - very naughty of me :) Goodness knows where I'd put it though. Thats something for another time :)

As always, thanks for looking

MH

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I just caught up with this. 

The brass tube works really well! :thumbsup2:

I have some of those Mach decals from way back, I'm not sure where you are globally but; it seems to take sometimes 6 weeks taped to a window facing the sun for the yellow tint to go. There's a lot of sun here in QLD so I guess it could be even longer elsewhere, but it does go.

Then they can get a bit dry so the 'Micro' liquid decal film comes to the rescue, best airbrushed in fine, thin coats. I've had decals fall apart sometimes if I applied it by hairy stick :S .

This is another I wanted as a kid and I must be odd, as I really like that KLM scheme. :) 

Great to see one being built

All the best

Tony

PS: I gave up smoking last year, I had a course of those tablets (Champix) to help. Crikey those tablets are powerful and knock the stuffing out, but they work. Hang on in there, you deserve the Anigrand kit. Much more fun than spending the money on fags ;) .

Your not wrong Ray - it's raining yet again today. Had one half a nice day yesterday and its all gone south again. Mind you, the garden looks awesome!

I finished the NMF on the 10 last night and I am pretty happy with how it came out - especially as its my first time doing a proper metal finish. I'll post some pics once I've taken some :D

Thanks for the support on the quitting fags - these Champix pills are great! I haven't had any of the side effects like what I've read about except at the start where I was a little bit moody and down but no nausea or vivid dreams (of which I am bitterly disappointed in - I like trippy dreams)

Still waiting for the C-5 to arrive in the mail. Expecting it any day now and I also bought the Eastern Express 1/144 AN-22 and am now also eyeing off the Anigrand 1/72 C-98 Clipper. I must be a sucker for punishment! Its amazing how much more money I have after quitting

• Like 2

Finally found some time to take some pictures of my progress - which isn't terribly far but then I do have 3 projects on the go at the same time (which is extremely unusual for me as I like to do one thing at a time)

There is some touching up to do here and there but that'll happen over time

IMG_3936_zpsqkmi2ucp.jpg

IMG_3937_zpsrgti60xi.jpg

IMG_3938_zpsefuaz8rh.jpg

IMG_3939_zpsudpdhrgx.jpg

IMG_3941_zpsvzpjvkbf.jpg

IMG_3942_zpsbk4qylft.jpg

IMG_3943_zpssgoiywso.jpg

IMG_3945_zpslyxxnshg.jpg

so that's it for now. I will begin the decalling soon and will update again acordingly

Thanks for looking

Si

**PS - I LOVE the new way of posting images - so much better!!

• Like 3

Wow that's some nice metallic finishes on your wings, Si! Quite a contrast of shades. I think adding the tube to the intakes make all the difference too.

Looking forward to seeing some decals on this one! Be interested to compare the Oldmodels ones with the 26 sheet that I used which didn't include the engine titles. I had to source mine from an old Microscale sheet.

Cheers,

Ian