Short Belfast - Australia

Pinback

Hi - Short Belfast "Hector" (ex RAF XR 365) is becoming a bit of a pilgrimage everytime I get to Cairns.

Here are two shots of him (her?) as of yesterday. I have also added a couple of previously posted shots taken in 2013 and 2008 .

Belfast%202_zpskuvkfxuc.jpg

Belfast%201_zpsrk8z1z6o.jpg

Not much change from 2013

Belfast%20-%20Cairns%20_zpspaefhb6x.jpg

Happier days in 2008

5bda6022-21af-4240-be66-ea96cff31527_zps

Lastly. Never, ever, ever trust an emu.

Emu_zpscj00ujy8.jpg

Edited by Pinback
  • Like 10

Saw her about a month ago on a transiting back from PNG for a couple of days. Used to see them coming in and out of Sydenham regularly. A shame it's just sitting there and slowly rotting.

There was also an RCAF C-17 sitting on the ramp that day, not much difference in size.

I think both are now large flightless birds :confused:

Sadly I can't see much of a future for Hector - he has sat through a few wet seasons - but we can all live in hope.

As for the emu - never turn your back on it!

Saw her about a month ago on a transiting back from PNG for a couple of days. Used to see them coming in and out of Sydenham regularly. A shame it's just sitting there and slowly rotting.

There was also an RCAF C-17 sitting on the ramp that day, not much difference in size.

I wouldn't say 'rotting', I believe there is a team that keep it in good nick. It was rumoured recently that they want to get it flying again.

I too, am hoping that Micro Mir or Roden will bring us a decent 1/144 kit of the Belfast. After all, they seem to be satisfying a lot of people with Beverley, Argosy coming, VC10 and so on. My build would be XR367 'Heracles'. I had a 3 hour circuit basing session in her from Brize while on ATC camp to Bicester.

• Like 1

I'd be interested to find out how it got there too.

Slightly off topic, but I heard of a Christmas card Shorts sent to Lockheed one year, which showed a Hercules fuselage poking out of the back of a Belfast. Never been able to track it down though........

Trevor

Hi Steven , Max - Heavylift had an operation based in Cairns. (not sure if they still do)

The Heavylift 727 tucked under the Belfast wing in the photo taken in 2008 has since been scrapped.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say 'rotting', I believe there is a team that keep it in good nick. It was rumoured recently that they want to get it flying again.

With the climate there mate, it will be a gradually losing battle.

Had the pleasure of flying in a Belfast from RAF Brüggen to RAF Valley for an armament practice camp in the mid seventies. Nice ride comfortable, and very quiet when compared to the Herc.

Only problem was, we landing in gale force winds, aquaplaned and nearly went off the runway at the road end of the runway at Valley.

We were so close to the end that the crew had to taxi the aircraft backwards until there was enough space to turn round.......

I also spent my first posting out of training in the engine bay at RAF Brize Norton working on the wiring harnesses and prop control units on the Tyne engines.

XVTonker

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

My Dad was a fitter with Shorts until 1967/8ish. Worked on r&d on the Skyvan too. Massive redundancies when the mod turned their back on this fabulous bird. Such a shame!

I can still remember the feeling of betrayal that pervaded the whole city.

Didn't know any model had been produced. Must have a look.

I don't think the full potential was ever realised with the Belfast. During my time with them at Manston we at Invicta were at one time on the cusp of operating them for Euro Latin the owners. Make a nice what if....

• Like 1

Since posting the photos it seems that Cairns Airport has gone to court claiming over $100,000 in outstanding rental fees due from Hector's owner,  Flying Tiger Oversize Cargo. They are looking to get the company wound up.  Apparently Hector is not airworthy which does not bode well.

Edited by Pinback
typo