Budget Airshow Lense (Inc Duxford Airshow Photos)

Thw VR in the nikon 70-300 is excellent.

I cannot get over how good the 200-500 is - 4 stops vr.

The day I got it I shot hand held in my bedroom at 500 mm ISO 400 @f8 at 1/80 th sec and the photo was in focus and shake free.(the writing on the 1/144 EC121 box was perfect)

Money spent on a good lens is never wasted, money spent on a bad one is.

Always upgrade your glass before your camera - you may not need to upgrade the camera.

Cameras come and go, but you will keep lenses for ever!

• Like 1

So the tamron 70-300 arrived yesterday and i spend a while standing around photographing airliners off i the distance.. although it can't quite reach it is close enough that you can crop and identify the airline! i have 20/20 vision and t me they are just a dot!

Then, a few minutes ago, we had 3 spitfires fly over in formation. i didn't have the camera but out of hope i sat outside to see if they would come back... and they did! they went right over me. i got a few photos. they were fairly high and these are uncropped, so i am pretty happy with them. it was pretty unexpected, as i had only just one outside, so i didn't have time to set up the shutter speed to show prop blur.

Anyone able to identify these? i imagine they are flying out of biggin hill.

DlEP2qp.jpg

7CtFhnl.jpg

BJPnd5E.jpg

TngO0YV.jpg

Will

Edited by Jimbobtheflimbob

I would recommend this book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D3300-Expanded-Guides-Sparks/dp/1781451044/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1473615293&sr=1-6&keywords=nikon+d3300

& also a HDMI cable to connect your camera to the TV but shops don't sell the mini hdmi adaptors needed to connect to your camera.

Good to have a quick look at your pictures on the TV .

I have the D3100 & D5500 and use both books as a first point of reference.

Took the D3100 & my biggest lens (55-300) to Southport airshow yesterday and got some reasonable results.

I try to catch the tops of WW2 subjects turning, to avoid pictures of silhouettes in the sky.

Autofocus is tricky as the shutter can not fire if it gets overwhelmed by multiple aircraft.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234941564-auto-focus-arggghhhh/

so I tried manual focus & continuous shutter for the Red Arrows.

Some pictures worked & some not but I got a couple of nice ones when they change position.

Edited by roys

Just a few shots from the airshow. i struggled to get the exposure right for the early photos, as i was too focused on the shutter speed and forgot i could change aperture. i eventually remembered, but then made the aperture too small so the shots were really dark! however, despite that i would like to think i got some decent shots. the lense worked great, although the VC was a little jerky, but the autofocus worked excellently. i managed to unfocused my viewfinder later on in the show and thought my eyes were just going funny so was unable to check focus for a lot of the later shots.

The airshow was fantastic. It was absolutely packed but organisation was pretty good. the flying displays were mostly excellent, although the great war display team was a little too long. The first routine with the air leasing fury and bearcat was breathtaking, as was the Balbo and red arrows.

gyamBZu.jpg?1

nc9pkb5.jpg

x2JFYDQ.jpg

hfIF76M.jpg

CDlwWJ2.jpg

SmSJ3F7.jpg?1

8m4yGQV.jpg

go2fEsr.jpg

XMFCbXd.jpg

ihLuwxS.jpg

sJ0NULx.jpg

y2rVJgl.jpg

gU47221.jpg

YfXV8UK.jpg

Y9LmCtt.jpg

EbSr1fZ.jpg

rMCWjS3.jpg

JWf4d9a.jpg

Will

• Like 1

Not to he a smartypants, but it's not the VC that's jerky, it's you. What you're seeing in the viewfinder is the system trying its hardest to make up for your camera movements. Make sure that you've got it set to the correct mode (if it has different ones) for what you're trying to do, too. Panning with a/c will upset the VR if you have it set to take all movement out. Read the manual, these things are way complicated (not like it used to be back in the old days when a man was a man and we handheld down to mumble mumble...) ;)

TLDR version - practice, practice, practice.

Will - it looks as if you're aiming for professional level results and I'm sure that's the right way to go.

Cameras nowadays are pretty amazing and give everyone a good head start at taking great photos.

However...

The ability to take great photos consistently requires great skill on the part of the photographer. Some of the skills can be learned from books, the web, or other photographers. But most of it will come from experience.

I think you're going the right way about it. Take lots of photos and be your own fiercest critic. You'll find that you will inevitably and inexorably improve as a photographer with every session.

But however good you get, you'll still produce shots that don't quite hit the mark. For example, panning is a particularly dark art. I've been involved - professionally - in film, stills and video for over 30 years and I'd put my panning success rate at no more than 50% for some situations!

Good luck, and keep practicing,

Brian

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I started off with the Tamron 70-300vc. Its a good starter lens but I soon outgrew it as I found it limiting once I attended a few more airshows. Upgraded to Sigma 150-500 and even now still keep looking at the 150-600. 

Enjoy it and keep practicing. BTW I still have the lens and use it occasionally. 

So i just thought i would follow up with a few more shots from the 70-300 and D3300. these shots are in Auto mode (please dont banish me :) ) as they are taken by my Mum and as soon as i try to explain shutter speed, aperture etc her eyes glaze over! fortunately as they are of RC planes and not real ones the motors have much higher RPMs so even in auto there is great prop blur... some of there are at shutter speed 1/1250 and they still have prop blur! i just thought some of these might be of interest and also show off the camera+lense combination.

36koBu3.jpg

BfkMlAI.jpg

1QkMFEK.jpg

JIrB4hA.jpg

efpHarP.jpg

vGz8tMy.jpg

Will