Caproni Ca.314 : Sicily 1943

Hi folks. I'll be joining in later (October), with one of these.

P1090750_zpseui4s3s7.jpg

I'll be adding a few AM bits :) , plus re-scribing the raised panel lines :( .

See you later.

Cliff

• Like 10

Hi Cliff

This is a nice kit, I hope you'll do 57^ Sq Recon

Ettore

Edited by Ettore
  • Like 1

Hi Cliff

Tis is a nice kit, I hope you'll do 57^ Sq Recon

Ettore

Hi Ettore

Yes indeed. Aircraft number 57-5! I'm happy to be building a Sicilian aircraft as I spent my honeymoon on the island :)

Great stuff Cliff

Really glad that the "Anson in an Armani suit" has made this GB.

Cheers Pat

:D . I never thought of it in those terms Pat, but you are right!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

I await.

Chris

I'll be as quick as I can Chris!

Good luck Cliff

I think with all that glazing treating yourself to a masking kit for it would shave some considerable time off the build.

Cheers Pat

I thought the same Pat and have already bought one ('Pmask': a make I haven't tried before). As you say, it should save time. Unfortunately the PE set is likely to have the opposite effect!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Cliff

is this the one you treated yourself to ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pmask-1-72-Canopy-mask-for-Italeri-kits-Junkers-Fiat-Pipistrello-etc-/122047388004?var=&hash=item1c6a975964:m:mVWx_KLaDoBthY1OqhQaZ-w

let me know how you get on, talking of which we haven't seen any progress from you, are you multitasking with other kits ?

cheers Pat

• Like 1

Hi Pat

Yes, that's the mask set that I've got, although mine came via the big H.

I've been tied up with a difficult Harrier build recently (for a club competition on Wednesday night), but that's finshed now and so I'm finally getting back to my backlog of GB builds.  There are three in total and I'll be tackling them in chronological order - currently Vignette, then Airliners and then this Carproni (probably end of October or beginning of November start).  The first two are relatively simple builds, so hopefully I'll be well up for the Ca challenge when the time comes :winkgrin:.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I'm afraid that the MTO has proved to be 'a GB too far' for me this year, so I won't be building the Caproni just yet (although maybe next year in a Maritime Patrol GB?).

Cheers

Cliff

I`ve seen a nice one of these wearing RAF markings, most likely captured in Sicily,......that would look great! 

Image result for caproni raf

Related image

Just a thought?

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion Tony :).  Unfortunately though, the one in RAF markings is a radial engined 311 (mine's a 313 with in-line engines).

We have a 'WWII Malta' themed club competition coming up in July next year, so I'm hoping that the Maritime Patrol GB gets through and runs early!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Change of plan again folks!

1)  'Maritime Patrol' didn't get through the GB vote

2)  The next GB I'm planning to enter isn't until mid-Feb (de Havilland)

3)  I need to build this Caproni before July (for the competition night).

So if you'll have me back please, I will make a start on this after all.  Most likely I'll need to finish it in the KUTA GB, but you never know......

I've made a slight start already, glueing together some two-part pieces like the wings and wheels.

P1100070_zpsvfdtu5sx.jpg

Well under 25% complete I think, particularly when the AM stuff is taken into account.

P1100071_zps0l2ikeob.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2

On 10/12/2016 at 1:08 PM, Killingholme said:

pre-cut masks were invented for just this aircraft I think!

Will

You're absolutely right Will, and hopefully all that glazing will justify spending some time on the interior :winkgrin:

So far it looks like this.

P1100080_zpsp7wqti8t.jpg

Plenty more to do!  I'm not sure what colour the interior was on Italian aircraft (the Swedish museum exhibit appears to be mid grey)?

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 3

13 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Chris, thank you so much for this link.  There's much of use within, especially the drawings at the end.  Fantastic!

Cliff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Continuing at a snail's pace, I have now finished all of the 'structural' PE work.

P1100081_zpsieoygaic.jpg

And the good news is that it fits neatly within the kit's fuselage halves :)

P1100082_zps5tdfftlu.jpg

The remaining PE components are all detail parts that need to be added to other elements (for example, the internal fuselage framework and the aircrews' seats), that will need to be scratch built from plastic first.  That will be my next task.

Unfortunately this is not going to happen before the close of the GB, so this will be my last post :(.  The build will continue here, in this year's KUTA GB.

Congratulations to all of you who were more successful in your endeavours and thank you to the hosts and others who have supported my meagre efforts so far!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2