Dallachy Beaufighters - wing fairings

Admiral Puff

I'm building my Airfix Beaufighter (the original version of the new kit, kit no. A04019) as an aircraft of 455 Sqn., RAAF, using Aviaeology decal sheet ADD72021. It will probably end up as LZ407/F. The kit comes with a small fairing on the upper surface of each wing, just inboard of the engine nacelles. Are these appropriate for this aircraft? I recall reading somewhere that they were only fitted to post-war airframes, but can't now find that reference.

The Aviaeology sheet, BTW, is superb, and well worth having. If only every decal sheet came with such detailed instructions!

• Like 2

Wasn't there some information about this in a fairly recent Airfix Modelworld mag?

Either way, I'm sure Terry from Aviology will come along soon enough with a fully detailed explanaition - give it 24 hours!

For what its worth, my hunch is that these particular upper wings lumps would not be required for the airframe you intend to model.

Cheers - Dave... (who will get around to ordering one of these sheets soon enough - although my decal bank is rather overflowing!!)..

Edited by Rabbit Leader

Thanks, Dave!

Problem solved - this is a classic case of "When all else fails, read the instructions". The Aviaeology sheet's instructions (pp. 10-11) indicate quite clearly that the fairings were first fitted to late 1944 production aircraft (serials RD130 - RD396) with the Mk XII wing, meaning that they would not have been on LZ407. I KNEW I'd read it somewhere ...

• Like 2

That's great Admiral - I still reckon Terry will be along with more juicy Beau information though.

I've got a couple of these kits in the stash (well early release kit and the new 'Firedog' kit) so need to clear the workbench a tad before I can crack onto mine.

Cheers .. Dave.

• 1 month later...