Not 009 or 007 update photos.

On 22 September 2016 at 01:32, Badder said:

Hi Ozzy.

So far, I've made 3 dios, which are now residing in out-of-the-way places around the house, and gathering dust. Lots of dust. And spiders' webs. Occasionally I give them a blast with the air brush, but that's going to be a job for life! I really regret now not having planned ahead by buying cases first and building the dios to fit. It will be so much more expensive to have the cases custom-made. I will definitely case my Carry on Regardless dio and the Villers Bocage one as well once it's rebuilt! 

The alternative, I suppose, is to buy a display cabinet, or sell/donate the dios and let someone else worry about it!

If the latter, then I personally would like a load of really good photos as a momento... and a set of good backdrops would create something  really special. You'd need a set of backdrops for each dio, one for each photo-angle. 

I remember as a kid, browsing through Tamiya Catalogues and drooling over the featured dios of Francois  Verlinden (I'd buy the catalogue every year just for photos of his work)

All of his dios were photographed with backdrops and I clearly remember two dios which were photographed at different angles and with different backdrops for each angle. One was of a soldier running along a street past a knocked out/abandoned Universal Carrier. When photographed looking lengthways along the street (kind of over the soldier's shoulder) the backdrop was a perspective view of bomb damaged and burning buildings, making the street look very much longer than it was and adding a real sense of depth and drama.

The other photo was taken 'face-on', showing the model building behind the Carrier. This building was also damaged by bombs and the backdrop was just plain blue sky which showed through the windows and holes. Years later, I saw what I thought was a completely different dio, but which turned out to be the same one, looking back along the street the other way, again with a different backdrop.

And a similar thing was done with a StuG, 'parked up' in the ruins of a farmhouse,  the photograph taken over the commander's shoulder, as he surveyed the green and pleasant fields stretching away into the distance. The reverse shot had a blue sky with a few clouds.

Of course, nowadays there's photoshop and all that magickery, but I'd rather have something physical.

Something to think about anyway.

Rearguards,

Badder

ps... Thanks to v4 and its new features, because while typing the last few sentences, I accidentally brushed some random keys and my touch-pad and found myself back on the Forums home page and thinking I'd lost everything I'd typed, but when I got back to this page all I'd typed was still here! 

I build most most of my models as dio's and know what you mean about dusting, someone I worked with gave a presentation of one of those Tower of London Poppy's. They said if it had been in a glass case it would have cost a lot, however they went for the same effect but in clear thick plastic sheet at half the cost but the same effect. I know what you mean about old catalogue's and back drops, I would be in ore of what had been built and how it was displayed sparked the imagination and enthusiasm for me to try and recreate the same scene. Never looked the same but great fun,    I did the same the other day I ended up on a completely different area of the forum still not sure what I did.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, celt said:

I keep coming back to look at this dio, it reminds me of my late father,who used to make locos and models.Your diorama brings back memories I thought I had forgotten.Thanks for sharing.:goodjob:

Thanks celt,

lm glad it brings back happy memory's, I really enjoyed the build of the loco I will definitely build another. One day

4 hours ago, kpnuts said:

Outstanding work, that looks as real as anything could look, amazing

B)B)B)

Thanks Kpnuts,

I think the sunshine brings it all to life.

• 11 months later...
3 minutes ago, Steve_farrier said:

Thank you kindly @Ozzy 😀 

Lovely build!

Good to see the addition of the tiger being in transport tracks with the full width version ready to go on. 

Thanks again! 

No worries Steve,

it it started as the Tiger on a platforwagon, then grew arms and legs from there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Martin Ford said:

I love it. It's great to browse through this great site and see amazing things.

I particularly like the black and white pictures, makes it look so real.

Congratulations on a great build.

All the best, Martin

Thanks Martin

I know what you mean I get loads of inspiration from browsing the site, it was a really enjoyable build sits at 70cm in length.

• Like 1