Not 009 or 007 update photos.

Grossdeutschland on the move, dio was inspired by the photo in my Wip of a railway siding in Romania there is lots of armour on the move. It started out as going to be a tiger command tank on a platformwagen, then I brought a BR 86 to push it the base I built had 2 sets of tracks. So I brought a gondola then when Sabre models brought out their 50 ton platforwagon, that would finish it off with a Panzer IV moving onto it also. So here it is I'm going to call the project finished for now.

The Wip link

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234968409-not-009-or-007/

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jjpg

• Like 22

Awesome build. The train looks so real and the weathering looks spot on. Great work :)

Thanks Supastar3000,

It's the first train I've ever built, I found a picture on the web on which to base my weathering.

Been following your WIP and it's great to see it finished Ozzy,fantastic job..

Thanks Vince,

Finally found the Panzer IV at the Salisbury model show, had some good weather yesterday to take some photos outside. Mini art have got some other railway bits so I may build a BR 52 one day.

• Like 1

That'd be lovely,my brain cogs have been working!...If you put a small amount of dry ice underneath the loco towards the front would it damage the build,thinking of steam coming from the boiler...

I have been looking at the stuff model railway guys use to make smoke, I also thought about cotton wool reinforced with wire. But I couldn't get the cotton wool to stick very well, I may revisit this option.

• Like 1

It might work for photo's unless you ran small pipes underneath and had the ice underneath a table,good luck...

Thanks for the idea Vince.

• Like 1

Thanks for the idea Vince.

I hope it works it'd look brilliant although after i'd posted i realised it'd be awkward with the pipes because you'd need something to either blow the smoke up them from underneath the base or draw it up from the dio...

• Like 1

I hope it works it'd look brilliant although after i'd posted i realised it'd be awkward with the pipes because you'd need something to either blow the smoke up them from underneath the base or draw it up from the dio...

I have been looking at smoke generators, you attach them in the funnel, they require a little power and you drop a solution in and you get smoke magic. I would only need a small amount of drilling and should look pretty good.

• Like 1

That's a brilliant idea...

I just need to see which smoke generator will be the correct scale.

That is very convincing, lots of stuff happening. It just needs a flight of Typhoons or Il-2s to happen along & make a lot more stuff happen. :)

Steve.

Nice idea Steve, that would put the cat amongst the pigeons.

• Like 2

Hi Ozzy. Thoroughly enjoyed following your WIP thread and the result is very impressive. I'm really impressed with all the different areas and details! Very well done! :goodjob::goodjob:

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

Wow! So lifelike, perfect weathering and detail, simply stunning, really love it.

Thanks agent K,

The figures really bring it all to life, my favourite is the masterbox set at the back of the tiger.

Now where´s the Britmodeller "Love This"- button?

Thanks VP,

You'll have to speak to Mike for one of those to be added, thanks for the words of encouragement in the Wip.

Hi Ozzy. Thoroughly enjoyed following your WIP thread and the result is very impressive. I'm really impressed with all the different areas and details! Very well done! :goodjob: :goodjob:

Thanks Stix,

I really enjoyed putting it all together, it started to grow when I got the BR 86 and ended up not looking to bad.

• Like 1

Very impressive. Nice little touches like the crew under the canvas and the dog handler add a sense of realism.

Very impressive. Nice little touches like the crew under the canvas and the dog handler add a sense of realism.

Thanks Darby,

There are some nice figure kits about at the moment that aren't resin prices, I wanted a guard with a dog as there always seemed to be soliders everywhere guarding stuff in the old war films.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, celt said:

Beats leaves on the line.Nicely done,very naturalistic scene,tidy.:goodjob:

Thanks Celt,

I got there in the end, It has pride of place on my shelf.

Sorry I missed your final reveal day.

Congrats on completing an excellent dio, a dio that would take pride of place on anyone's mantelpiece. (A big chunky mantelpiece of course)

A proper backdrop is in order I think, if not a nice glass case.

Quality deserves a nice glass case.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Badder said:Sorry I missed your final reveal day.

Congrats on completing an excellent dio, a dio that would take pride of place on anyone's mantelpiece. (A big chunky mantelpiece of course)

A proper backdrop is in order I think, if not a nice glass case.

Quality deserves a nice glass case.

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder,

definitely a chunky mantelpiece, a glass case would set it off a treat I will look into in casing it. The back drop is was somthing I printed out as I'd seen a lot of modeller using them, I'm going to try some of the photos I've used for reference as a back drop to bring it to life a little more.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Thanks Badder,

definitely a chunky mantelpiece, a glass case would set it off a treat I will look into in casing it. The back drop is was somthing I printed out as I'd seen a lot of modeller using them, I'm going to try some of the photos I've used for reference as a back drop to bring it to life a little more.

Hi Ozzy.

So far, I've made 3 dios, which are now residing in out-of-the-way places around the house, and gathering dust. Lots of dust. And spiders' webs. Occasionally I give them a blast with the air brush, but that's going to be a job for life! I really regret now not having planned ahead by buying cases first and building the dios to fit. It will be so much more expensive to have the cases custom-made. I will definitely case my Carry on Regardless dio and the Villers Bocage one as well once it's rebuilt! 

The alternative, I suppose, is to buy a display cabinet, or sell/donate the dios and let someone else worry about it!

If the latter, then I personally would like a load of really good photos as a momento... and a set of good backdrops would create something  really special. You'd need a set of backdrops for each dio, one for each photo-angle. 

I remember as a kid, browsing through Tamiya Catalogues and drooling over the featured dios of Francois  Verlinden (I'd buy the catalogue every year just for photos of his work)

All of his dios were photographed with backdrops and I clearly remember two dios which were photographed at different angles and with different backdrops for each angle. One was of a soldier running along a street past a knocked out/abandoned Universal Carrier. When photographed looking lengthways along the street (kind of over the soldier's shoulder) the backdrop was a perspective view of bomb damaged and burning buildings, making the street look very much longer than it was and adding a real sense of depth and drama.

The other photo was taken 'face-on', showing the model building behind the Carrier. This building was also damaged by bombs and the backdrop was just plain blue sky which showed through the windows and holes. Years later, I saw what I thought was a completely different dio, but which turned out to be the same one, looking back along the street the other way, again with a different backdrop.

And a similar thing was done with a StuG, 'parked up' in the ruins of a farmhouse,  the photograph taken over the commander's shoulder, as he surveyed the green and pleasant fields stretching away into the distance. The reverse shot had a blue sky with a few clouds.

Of course, nowadays there's photoshop and all that magickery, but I'd rather have something physical.

Something to think about anyway.

Rearguards,

Badder

ps... Thanks to v4 and its new features, because while typing the last few sentences, I accidentally brushed some random keys and my touch-pad and found myself back on the Forums home page and thinking I'd lost everything I'd typed, but when I got back to this page all I'd typed was still here! 

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1