Hello All,

I present my first 'WIP' of the AMT General Lee, I started this kit a while back and this post will bring you all nearly up to date with the build.

After finishing the Polar Lights Batmobile, I fancied doing another TV show car. I have had this kit in the stash since I was about 10 years old (or about 17 years) so I pulled it out the cupboard blew off the dust and recoiled in horror as I opened the lid to this orange blob of a kit.

Now I'm no rivet counter, but I know what the Dodge Charger used in the show looked like... definitely not a fastback, so after some internet digging for inspiration and becoming bewildered seeing the animosity this car seems to attract on forums, I closed the laptop lid and dug out my Corgi version of the car so I could make some rough measurements. After scaling up the dimensions and fudging them until they looked 'Right' I applied some 'Dymo' tape to the lines that needed trimming. After sweating whilst thinking twice about cutting up a fresh kit, I set too and run a fresh scalpel along them several times until I had enough cut out. After a trip to the local(ish) LMS I returned with some styrene sheet and evergreen strip to fill in the gap.

WP_20160415_22_29_11_Pro_zpstcyne7qw.jpg

WP_20160416_15_52_33_Pro_zpssjw6ojhl.jpg

After a few hours fiddling I had this, I also decided to trim off the window surrounds on the side windows as they were not a consistent thickness and replaced them with evergreen. First time using styrene sheet and evergreen, don't know how I did without it :)

WP_20160422_20_00_35_Pro_zps6es23lfh.jpg

WP_20160424_20_16_56_Pro_zpskxicfopx.jpg

After a few days fettling which involved re-scribing dull lines and adding evergreen round the tail light section for the missing trim, I sprayed Tamiya fine surface primer through a rattle can, wet sanded then gave it a few coats of VW 'Brilliant Orange' from Halfords.

WP_20160417_22_01_56_Pro_zpsoyn89ppr.jpg

After trying out homemade decals for the first time on the batmobile, I decided I'd detail up the engine bay with some more. A quick search online bought up some period correct 'Mopar' logos and whatnot, I added them to the oil filter, Battery, air filter and radiator. I added hoses with electrical cable and cut 'O' rings from the £ shop.

WP_20160417_22_02_33_Pro_zpseqaheklo.jpg

WP_20160417_22_02_08_Pro_zps0swqrrli.jpg

I wanted to recreate the dusty dry mud look that the TV show car usually had from blasting round Hazard County, I achieved this using Humbrol washes and pigments.

WP_20160424_20_17_17_Pro_zpsoodyot46.jpg

WP_20160425_09_24_13_Pro_zpso6n1n8ta.jpg

Interior next, I airbrushed the interior with a Humbrol acrylic shade... I can't remember which one atm and will edit when I have checked. The carpets are sticky-back felt from Hobbycraft and the dials were added with some homemade decals with Humbrol 'Clear' brushed on for the lenses. I also added a veneer decal for the centre console and will add a picture next time I update.

WP_20160426_21_06_37_Pro_zpsi6g4c58p.jpg

A quick mock-up to make sure everything still fitted after the mods. I detailed the trim parts with Vallejo Chrome and a steady hand. The roof decals are from the kit and worked fine. There should be a roll cage inside, but it just did not look right even after heavy modification so I left it out.

I am a little further ahead than this at present, but will include pictures with the next update :)

Hope you enjoy the general, C&C's welcome, Happy modelling.

Andy.

• Like 5

Looking good so far & those mods you have made are paying off.

Nice work.

Wayne

Thank you, I feel it's been worth it. It's the first time I have tried modifying a kit like this... and I thick I'm getting scratch-build fever :Tasty:

Cheers,

Andy.

Wow what a thing to get wrong on the part of AMT. I think I'd have built a charger 500 instead and used the decals on Revell's one lol.

Great mods and I can certainly vouch for vw brilliant orange. I've used it on a charger Daytona that is still unfinished lol. Lovely colour.

Ashley

• Like 1

I honestly thought the interior of these cars was black. I had completely forgotten they where tan. Memory is a weird thing. Great work on the decals, they really highlight the engine bay.

And I have fond memories of Daisy myself. .....😍😍

• Like 2

I honestly thought the interior of these cars was black. I had completely forgotten they where tan. Memory is a weird thing. Great work on the decals, they really highlight the engine bay.

And I have fond memories of Daisy myself. .....

You're memory is partly correct Mr Thud, sometimes it was black sometimes it was tan, sometimes changing during the same scene :) sometimes the car had dents, sometimes it did not, sometimes the spec and year changed... continuity was not their strong point!

Cheers,

Andy.

...They used in the region of 300 Chargers during the series run.

Continuity was a major headache.

Apparently NO 1970 Chargers were ever used - despite popular belief.

A studio pic below from that time:

Lovely work so far - keep it coming.

general%20lee_zpsyrf3vs8p.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 2

Thank you for all your comments :)

Next update.

WP_20160823_21_21_02_Pro_zps78haoccf.jpg

The kit is fairly sparse in the finer details, I wanted to add some door mirrors so I found these for sale on Hiroboy, first time using the company and delivery was swift :)

WP_20160823_21_42_05_Pro_zpstuuovols.jpg

I drilled some holes in the body before I painted it, I had a go at making some but these bought items are far superior. I also added the '01' decals to the doors.

WP_20160827_17_37_21_Pro1_zpsaamcj09h.jp

I de-chromed all of the kit parts when I started the build and sprayed them gloss black then 'Plasticote Chrome' I added the side repeaters with several coats of Tamiya clear orange. The grille inserts and bull bars were airbrushed Vallejo black primer.

WP_20160827_17_38_56_Pro1_zpsr5c0rzkp.jp

WP_20160827_17_46_08_Pro1_zpsxs9mdjix.jp

The kit did not include number plate decals so a quick search on google bought up the required images, I printed them on clear decal paper, but I may redo the rear plate as it is a bit see through. I chipped the paint wrestling the rear bumper into place and shall have to touch that up.

WP_20160503_08_14_59_Pro_zpsi8bsqpna.jpg

I wanted to add a 'DIY' feel to the cars paint job so I airbrushed some orange along the edges of the underside for an over-spray effect. I also airbrushed Humbrol light dust and sand washes over the underside, along the sides of the vehicle and the wheels and tyres to simulate the look of the dusty conditions the TV car was driven in. I also tried the salt method for the first time on the exhaust pipes which I feel was quite successful.

All that is left to do is finish the weathering, paint touch ups, matt-cote the tyres and re-do the rear 'licence' plate and i'll be calling this done :)

Thanks for viewing :)

Andy.

• Like 4

Wow what a thing to get wrong on the part of AMT. I think I'd have built a charger 500 instead and used the decals on Revell's one lol.

Yeah, I only found out they did the 'correct' body style after i'd done most of the bodywork on this :banghead: never mind, it's been something to occupy my time with.

Very nice work Andy,I am working (slowly......) on a 16th version of this atm.

Thanks, That is another kit on my 'wants' list, are you going to do a 'WIP' on it?

Cheers,

Andy.

Blimey wait for the rest of us. How have you got this near finished so quick? Lol.

It's looking very tasty and the weathering is nice and subtly done.

Ashley

Thanks Ashley,

I'm not usually this speedy, I painted the bumpers and the wheels before I started the main kit as the 'Chrome' paint seems to take forever to dry. Also the kit is really simple so there is not many bits to add once the main bits are connected, I'm really pleased about the weathering :)

Cheers,

Andy.

• Like 1

Next update.

I have re-done the rear number plate decal on 'white' decal paper, I am more pleased with it now.

WP_20160828_18_05_00_Pro1_zps5lwl2uor.jp

I thought the front grille was looking a bit naked and wanted to add the 'Charger' motif, I initially tried this on clear decal paper but it ended up invisible, So I found one on a blackish background on google, fiddled with it a little bit and ended up with this.

WP_20160828_18_04_55_Pro1_zps40qimxeh.jp

I'm quite pleased with this result, I need to feather in the edges with black and then 'Matt-cote' when it has all dried.

Thanks for viewing :)

Andy.

• Like 3

Are you going to add a dio Base to this one.

I haven't really thought about it, I have never tried making a base or diorama for a kit before other than a block of wood. You have got me thinking now :hmmm:

Cheers for all the comments.

Andy.

Here is my General Andy,was doing a wip on another forum (escale) but Peter pulled the plug on the forum..

That's looking cool, is the framework in the engine bay because the original kit was nascar based? and does this kit come with a full interior?

Andy.

Ok I'll bite, why Andy? Seems like an odd name choice?

It's just the name my parents gave me? :banghead: but seriously 'Electric Light Orchestra' my favorite band/musician (Jeff Lynne) since 2001 when I was 12 and introduced to the album 'Zoom' by my uncle, I have been absolutely fanatical about him and all the musicians he has produced over the years since. funnily enough the 3 first albums I had bought with my pocket money before this, having no knowledge of him or any connection were 'Full Moon Fever - Tom Petty' which was co-written and produced by him, 'Cloud Nine - George Harrison' co-written and produced by him and 'Traveling Wilburys - Volume One' of which he co-wrote produced and was a member, I must be drawn to his production I guess :) it also made me teach myself instruments and record/produce music.

Cheers,

Andy.

(yes I am aware these are odd music choices for a 11/12 year old, but I guess I am a bit odd :pilot:)

Edited by ElectricLightAndy
  • Like 1

I'm an idiot. ...

When I read arni's post, I thought he had named the car General Andy instead of General Lee. I thought that was odd, there is some British reference I'm not understanding. Obviously he was talking to you. I meant no disrespect on your name. I'll move to the back and lurk quietly. ...

I was a huge Tom Petty fan at that age, and yes it was weird. I'll check his music out, I've never heard of him. But I've probably loved his music for years.

Edited by Thud4444
  • Like 2

That's looking cool, is the framework in the engine bay because the original kit was nascar based? and does this kit come with a full interior?

Andy.

It is Nascar originated hence the cage,stripped interior and the round arches.